Tuesday 19 November 2013

Grati - Tuesday

Hi all,
Another busy day here.  The lovely Kiwi Karen gave up a day from her week off today to come and sew with me. I cut and Karen sewed.   She pieced backings, sewed bindings, ironed quilt tops, ironed bindings and we both worked solidly all day.  Now I have a pile of quilts to go to quilters, 


a pile of backings just waiting to be taken off the shelf when the need arises 


a pile of quilts waiting to go to someone to bind and  a pile of bindings waiting till needed as well. Thanks so much Karen!  I really appreciate it.  

Now I have just enough time to write this post before I head off  to the Post Office to post of the latest instructions and fabrics for the Mystery Quilt and then hopefully back home to sew. I am on my own this week and loving it.  My husband is usually away Monday to Friday and I ususally have one son ar boarding school but my other son has gone away with mates for a week for his version of schoolies - a week at the beach in a quiet seaside resort - any Navy personnel who see a bunch of rampaging teens in the vicinity of HMAS Cresswell, I know nothing!  Actually they are not the rampaging sort -thankfully!  So, no teenager coming in to my officer demanding "FOOOOOD" and extra sewing/admin time.  :-D 
I could get used to this.

Just a few thank you messages for you to enjoy.
.....


Hi Joan and Robin,


I am so sorry it has taken so long to respond, got to love the mail system! I wanted to say a big thank you for my fairy laundry bag. I love it! It is so feminine and colourful, all the things a girl could want in this environment. 


Please know that we are all so very grateful for your generosity and time you put into the laundry bags and quilts, it is so very humbling that you would go to all the trouble. Your efforts really are appreciated.
.....



Hi Jan-Maree


Thank you so much to your organisation and Maree J for the lovely quilt. I received mine a few weeks ago during a mail drop I'm sorry I didn't write back sooner we have been a little busy. My quilt will be treasured in my family for many years to come and when my fiance and I have children I look forward to telling them about the quilt and the lovely ladies who made them. We had our photo taken with our quilts I hope that you receive that soon. Thanks again 


Kind Regards 
..... 


Bryany,

Thank you all very much for the quilt and especially Myriam - this will keep my son in my mind as he plays the violin. 


Again thank you very much.
.....

Hi Jan-Maree,

I am so sorry it has taken so long to respond.

I was so excited to receive the quilt and I have got to say, I truly love it!  Please pass on my thanks also to Kitty from Perth, Stephanie and Kim B.  Thank you so much for the time, effort and love that has been put into making the quilts and laundry bags; my soldiers and I are very grateful for the kind gesture, your generosity and the evident time that goes into these creations. It is so exciting to receive such a feminine and colourful gift when working in an environment such as this. It really is a pleasant reminder of home.

My husband is also a serving member so I understand that with these lifestyle choices, there are inevitably sacrifices. I think it is wonderful that you have chosen to fill your time with what must be  immensely satisfying work that will forever keep you linked to your 15 years spent serving in the military.
.....


Hi Sandra,


I am so sorry it has taken so long to respond, got to love the mail system! I wanted to say a big thank you for my colourful, Hawaiian style laundry bag. I love it! It is so feminine and colourful, all the things a girl could want in this environment. 



Please know that we are all so very grateful for your generosity and time you put into the laundry bags and quilts, it is so very humbling that you would go to all the trouble. Your efforts really are appreciated.
.....


I shared this photo on the Facebook page on Sunday night because I was just so delighted to keep it that I could not keep it to myself.   Not long ago a doctor from Al Minhad Air Base (AMAB) wrote and asked me 

"I was wondering if it would be possible to have 2 or so quilts done that we could keep at the medical facility here in AMAB that could be used by members (either based here or those who get AMEd (medevac'd by aircraft) here from Afghanistan or the Navy ship) who have to be inpatients here or when they go into Dubai for admission?  Anything would be much appreciated."

I was delighted to assist but we were so snowed with requests that there was not the capacity to have something made especially.  Luckily Nancy has quilts that she has quilted with Aussie Animals and I knew they would be good and serviceable for the purpose as well as being bright and cheery.  

Well the quilts have arrived and the doctor tells me that they arrived and "are sitting pride of place on our ward beds."  I don't know about you but that just made my day!


My next goal is to get really AUSTRALIAN quilts on these beds so there is no doubt who is lying/sitting there.  I have plans for that so standby next month.

Before I go, Angela dobbed me in on the Facebook page last night so I suppose I should tell you blog readers the same thing.  Yesterday was my birthday.  Those of you who read FB will know that, and I guess I just want to say a big thank you to all who sent their best wishes for the day. I actually spent the day on my own as my sons are away and my husband left at 5am to go interstate for work as he does more Mondays.  I chose to have a quiet PEACEFUL day at home but I really felt I spent the day with friends because of the number of messages I received from my lovely Aussie Hero Friends as well as from recipients, past, present and future.  One of the things I never even thought about when I started Aussie Heroes was the number of wonderful people it would bring into my life.  Many are a fleeting contact, but some stay on and become wonderful friends and I have to say that I am feeling truly blessed.  :-D

Well I am off the PO and then back home to sew or applique I hope.

Till next time.........................keep spreading the word and happy stitching. JMxx

No comments:

Post a Comment