Wednesday 27 March 2013

Happy Mail Wednesday 27 March

Welcome to Happy Mail Wednesday again.  
Some lovely things to show you tonight so here goes.

First up some special happy mail.  

This message was left on facebook for us by one of our special Aussie Heroes who is about to return home.  He has been one of our biggest supporters and has been receiving and distributing our laundry bags for us where ever he can.  AND he has clocked up over 37 years of service in the RAAF!  A real gent and an absolute Aussie Hero!


Hi to all the ladies, gents and children who are a part of the Aussie Hero Quilters. I am just finishing my tour overseas and would like to pass on my thanks to you all for the efforts you have put in making the Quilts and Laundry Bags for us. It is very heartwarming to get so much support from you all, I can say that coming home to my room with my Quilt on my bed gives me pride in the Aussie spirit of mate ship and support for one another. Thanks guy's my quilt will be on display in my home as a reminder of the great work and support you are giving to the Aussies serving overseas. Keep up the good work.
A hard act to follow but here is a good story and it goes like this....

Janelle made this awesome helicopter themed quilt and sent me a picture.  Well of course we had to try and find an appropriate person to give it to so I emailed my handsome friend here (on the left) and asked him if he was able to find just the right person to present it to.  He wrote back and said he felt he had found just the right person if Janelle didn't mind him giving her quilt to an American.  This lovely young lady is currently on an exchange posting to a unit in Australia.  Whilst here she has been deployed to Operation Slipper.  She is "over there" working on helicopters.   Now my feeling, and Janelle agreed with me, is that if that is what the fellows over there think is the right thing to do, then that is just fine by me.  Americans have given our guys and girls quilts in the past and it is so nice that Janelle has given our blokes the opportunity to return the favour.

So here is a picture of an Adopted Aussie Hero and her new quilt.  
Looks like a perfect match to me!  Don't you think so?


Now time for some of our more traditional Happy Mail.

These three quilt tops came from Jill Maree plus some VERY WELCOME prepaid satchels from her daughter! Thanks to both of you.




The next two quilt tops came from Carol S who also supplied the backings.  
Love that curvy piecing.  Very clever!




We received a few more BOM blocks for March.  I am loving these.  If I thought they were more popular and you would send in more I would do this again.  I can just see a whole quilt filled with Aussie sayings or quilts with just one row of sayings somewhere.  These are so much fun.  

This first one is from Tania DM and this is her first gift to AHQ!  I love it Tania.  You can do as many of these as you like.


And these ones came from Jeann - more fun!  


Two cool choice phrases from Janine



I know there are more of these BOMs on their way from one or two other brave souls.  I am almost impatient to get them so that I can do something with all of them.  FUN!!

And now for some Happy eMails!

Hi Terry, I would like to thank you for the quilt. It looks fantastic and fits perfectly on my rack. I can see a lot of work has gone into it. Thank you for the lovely letter also. 



Hi Jan-Maree, 

I thought I would let you know I have received my package and I absolutely love my quilt, thank you so much, I have written a letter back to Carol and I will put it in the next mail drop we have have.  It was quite a coincidence that Carol spoke about her rescue dog Milo, as I am a massive lover of animals and have 2 rescue dogs and a cat myself and am hoping to help out at an animal shelter when I return to Australia. My friends on the ship asked how she knew I liked animals, to which I said Carol didn't know it was just a nice coincidence :)

If possible could you please pass on the message that I received my quilt? Once sent the mail might take a while to get back to Australia.
Once again thank you very much and if I can figure out how to get a photo onto the defence computer, I will send a photo of my quilt put to good use on my rack :)
Kind Regards,


Good morning Jan-Maree,
I would like to sincerely thank you for the wonderful Laundry Bags you sent over to our Unit. It is such a fantastic organization that you have founded. I was truly blown away when I received the boxes. The deployed personnel were very grateful and have put the bags to good use already.

If at all possible I would like to request a few more as some of the Unit did miss out and they were such a big hit with all concerned.

Once again I cannot thank you enough for the thoughtful gesture. It is the little things like this that really have an effect on moral. It is an amazing feeling to know that a complete stranger appreciates the sacrifice and dedication to service. 

Thank you.

And this is my favourite email for the day because this is one of the most purely fun quilts I have made.  I emailed this fellow to see if his quilt had turned up on Toowoomba and this is the response I received.  It just made me smile!

OMG I did:) Thank you so much for that. I love it and I can't wait for show it to my families:) You are guys are so kind and thoughtful. I'm so proud to be in the Navy.



Till next time.................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment