19 August 2026

Grati-Wednesday 19th August 2026

  

Happy Wednesday Friends!

We have been receiving a large amount of thank you messages lately, so please don't worry if you haven't seen your message yet.  We are working through the back-log as quick as we can.

Another wonderful collection of gratitude letters. 

Grab a nice warm cuppa or cold drink (depending on where you live!), sit back and relax while you soak up some well-deserved gratitude!
***

Good Morning Beverly U,

 

Firstly, I wanted to thank you for the wonderful laundry bag. With all of the airframes, it truly is the envy of others here!

 

While away from family and home, it is nice to receive something that reminds me of the reasons why we are here, and also reminds me of home in general.

 

I too have family that served in the Middle East during WWII (though in the Army, not Air Force), so that is a shared point between us.

 

Thank you again for the gift – rest assured, it is getting regular use now and for many years to come.

 

Kind regards,

 

***

 Dear Bev and Geoff C,

I cannot express sufficient thanks for the magnificent quilt you have created for me.

The craftmanship is truly outstanding, and I am both grateful and humbled by the effort that has gone into it.

The opportunity to operate here in support of Ukraine has been very professionaly fulfilling.  Many, including myself, joined the Army for the old fashioned ideal of willingly putting ourselves in harm's way to protect others; and the long-suffering people of Ukraine certainly meet this description.

To know that there are folks back home who support what we are doing is very gratifying, so your generosity has a much greater impact than you perhaps realise.

Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, and you can be assured that this quilt will remain a most cherished possession for all my days.

Wishing you the best of health, happiness and success. 

***

Good Morning Margaret B, 


I was the recipient of your LB, and I couldn’t be happier with it. 

Thank you.

 I’ve been in the Navy now for almost 2 years and will be doing my first deployment in August. 

I’ve had quite a lot of fun in my time in the Navy but sometimes being away can be difficult for me at my age and having never really left home. Living in WA now can be tough, but I know I’ve got my family and friends back home who have got my back and support what I do. 

 

Thank you for your bag 

I picked it due to the green and gold. It immediately stood out to me and I really wanted the Socceroos to win (next time) 

 

Thankyou for your bag and your support. 


***

Good Afternoon Jenny L, 

Thank you so much for your beautiful laundry bag! It definitely brought a smile to my face. I can absolutely relate to the time, effort, attention to detail and love put into sewing. It’s a life long passion of mine. 

 

Before I joined the Air Force in 2018, I dabbled as an apprentice tailor in Melbourne. I still sew every week given the chance. Whether it be name tags on friends’ uniforms, alterations or sewing patterns. I made these pair of cotton pj pants for my auntie’s birthday recently.  

 

That’s wonderful about your family. I can hear your pride at being great grandparents beaming off your letter. I’m a proud uncle to my niece and nephew living in Sydney. It’s such a joy to see them grow into the people they are becoming. 

 

My parents were also teachers so can relate to your dedication to developing others. Thank you for your service to your community. It’s really appreciated. 

 

Thanks again! Sending love to you and your family Jenny.  

***

Hi Sheena B

 

I am returning your lovely letter and message. Apologies for the delay. It;s been a Bit crazy !!!.

First of all, I would like to thank you for the beautiful work that you did on my Quilt It's a masterpiece !!! and a real credit to your skill as a quilter. It was quite a shock to receive it. 

I was a blubbering mess  especially when I was at my lowest point after just having surgery which almost killed me. I spent 20 days in ICU and that quilt was on me every day while I recovered.

I live on the outskirts of Melbourne. I am married and have six kids, 7 grandies and 3 and a half great grandies. 

We got a surprise when Pello came over a month ago and also gave my wife (who is also ill) a quilt which I believe isn't the norm but it has cheered her up no end .We are very blessed to have support from friends and family but its going to be a long road back for both of us. We are punching on and looking forward to putting all this behind us so we can go on a holiday in our van.

Thank you for what you are doing. Being a volunteer is as rewarding as it gets and once I'm well enough I will return to my Volunteering duties.

Pass on my best to the Group and the family you have cheered me up BIG Time !!

***

Good Evening Jacqui and Bruce D,

 

Thank you very much for the gift of the laundry bag and the letter I really appreciate it!

 

I have been in the Air Force for approximately nine years now and have been posted to South Australia, Canberra and Tindal in the Northern Territory before posting to Newcastle. I love the Newcastle costal region and would chose to extended my posting there if possible as I thoroughly enjoy the beach, camping and mountain biking.

 

I also come from a Defence family with my Dad having joined the Navy at 16 and staying in until retirement, my Aunt and Uncle also both served in the Air Force.

 

This is my third deployment during my career and will be the longest period I have been away from home for. Once I get home, I am looking forward to spending time with family and friends.  

 

Thank you once again,

***

Hello Bridget R!


Thank you so much for the beautiful laundry bag! I love going to the beach at home so the fish and seahorse pattern stood out to me immediately. 


I also enjoy embroidery in my free time and happened to bring a small kit with me, so once I received my laundry bag I added my nickname onto it! 


I have two younger sisters who are very good at sewing and receiving this beautiful laundry bag has gotten me thinking about learning how to make quilts once I’m back home. 


Thank you so much for the letter as well! I hope you, your family, and you poodle are doing well 🙂


Kind regards,

***

Good Morning Hilary T, from Darwin. 

I am emailing you in regards to the dobey bag that was given to me on HMAS Supply and I greatly appreciate you making it. 


I read your message in the bag that you left in and it warmed my heart. My girlfriend is really missing me and she’s slowly getting used to it. 

I would also like the thank your husband and for his service in the Canadian Armed Forces as well as serving in the Australian Defence Force.

My next posting will be to Canberra and who knows maybe I might run into your son.

Best regards

***

Dear Marilyn S,

I wanted to write and thank you so kindly for the beautiful laundry bag you sewed for me.

I am a Marine Engineering Officer in the Royal New Zealand Navy. I have been posted to HMAS Stuart, an ANZAC frigate in the Royal Australian Navy and am serving here for the next two years. We are about to go on deployment for the rest of the year. 

I only joined the ship two weeks ago and have just left my friends and family, so receiving your letter and laundry bag was the highlight of my week! I come from Auckland, New Zealand and lived there with a few of my very close friends. My parents live in Christchurch, New Zealand where I grew up. I do not think I will have the opportunity to visit my friends or family in the next two years, it will be hard but I am lucky I can call them everyday. 

I grew up in a small town close to the mountains in a very rural area and like you decided to move into the city in Auckland when I finished University. I loved hearing about your large family. I have no siblings and come from a very small family, I can imagine there is lots of love and fun for you. 

I joined the RNZN two years ago to serve my country and fulfill my passion for working with people. My Grandad served in the British Army after WW2 and I always heard stories of how much he loved his time in the forces and the travel that came with it, which was a big inspiration for enlisting myself. 

Before joining the Navy I was studying a Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering. I completed a thesis in breast cancer research and looked into more effective ways for screening for breast cancer.

This year I was given the opportunity to serve on an Australian ship. I was thrilled at the opportunity to travel and spend two years exploring Australia. I am missing my friends and family back home but am loving living in WA and enjoying meeting new friends and ship mates. I absolutely love the travel I get to do with the Navy and am very excited for our upcoming deployment.

Thank you again so much for the beautiful laundry bag. I chose the Koalas to remember my time in Australia when I post back to New Zealand. It truly made me smile and thank you for the time you have put into making these over the last 10 years. That is so impressive and I am sure you have made so many service people feel seen and loved over the years. 

Kind regards,

***

Good Morning Clarissa L,

 

Hope you’re well. I received a laundry bag you made, I just wanted to say a big thank you. It’s beautifully made, so obvious how much work has gone into it. I was immediately drawn to the poppies, one of my favourite flowers for obvious reasons. 

 

A little about me, I’m originally from the UK, as is my wife and our two children. I served 23 years in the Royal Navy, I’m into my 17th year in the Australian Navy. I’m actually two years away from compulsory retirement, partly looking forward to it, partly not, I intend doing some reserve time – I can’t let go totally.

 

My wife is originally from Cornwall which is how we met as I was lucky enough to be based there, our kids were born there too, I’m the outsider! Our son is 24 and he works as a civilian contractor at HMAS Albatross, our daughter is 22 and just finishing her Masters Degree to become a high school teacher.

 

We came to Australia to hopefully give the kids a better chance of a good start in life – it’s certainly worked out, we couldn’t be happier here.

 

I like to fish, shoot clay targets and kayak, when I’m not fixing/making things in the house of course! My wife enjoys cake decorating and reading. My son is a massive car and computer fan and my daughter is a dance teacher, she’s been dancing since she was about three years old.

 

I remember many years ago, I was in the desert during the first Gulf War, we received many parcels and letters from home from complete strangers. It was an amazing feeling that all these people you never knew and would never meet were wishing you success. I’m a helicopter techo by trade and I was posted to a Commando helicopter squadron, that’s why I was in the desert.

 

You all do amazing work and I hope you know how much we all appreciate everything you do. Thank you so much.

 

Kindest Regards,

***

Hi Bel P,

 WOW!! I came home tonight to your parcel delivered and have received your absolutely beautiful laundry bag! It made me tear up it was so beautiful! I love my dog so much and he has been with my parents while I have been posted to HMAS Yarra so seeing him brought to life on there with the beautiful patch designs was absolutely beautiful and so so so special, I will cherish it forever. 

And thank you so much for your lovely letter, it was so nice to hear more about you and your background and lovely family. 


Thank you so much again, I appreciate it more than words can say xoxo

 

All the best,

***

Cheers Bel P


Until next week keep your letters, emails and photos coming in.  Wednesdays would be so totally boring without them!

🌼🌷🌹🌻🌼🌷🌹🌻

No comments:

Post a Comment