Here you go. Episode 18 of the Tales of the Travelling 15th Anniversary Laundry Bags. Enjoy!
Every year, usually in October, we hold our Aussie Hero Quilts Annual Thank You Weekend in Canberra. You will see me advertise our Annual Dinner regularly but what you might not know is that the Thank You Weekend includes six events in three days for our attending volunteers. The highlight of the weekend is the Annual Dinner but on either side of that we have other events and we need somewhere that all our volunteers can stay.
Anyone who has ever organised a function for up to 250 guests knows that there is a lot of work involved in setting up the function and ensuring it runs smoothly. For a small organisation like Aussie Hero Quilts, without the budget for an event planner or a PR team, anything we can do to make the evening, let alone the whole weekend run smoothly is much appreciated. That is why we love returning to The Rex Hotel every year. They do their utmost to help us to make sure that our weekend runs smoothly and they are wonderful at looking after our volunteers and other guests.
"The Canberra Rex Hotel is proud to be an ongoing supporter of Aussie Quilt Heroes and one of our favourite events of the year. Having been involved with this meaningful annual event for the past six years, we look forward to continuing our partnership for many more years to come!"
Another one of our great friends who is contributing to our 15th
Anniversary Dinner is Jock. His messages
speaks for itself.
“In 2017 I was the Ship’s Warrant Officer in HMAS Choules,
deployed to the Whitsunday Islands as part of the ADF’s response to Tropical
Cyclone Debbie. At the time I had barely heard of Aussie Hero Quilts and
Laundry Bags, nor did I understand what they did or why. Fortunately, our
Chaplain did. He knew exactly what they were all about.
One stunning Whitsunday Tuesday morning, a shipment of
laundry bags arrived for the crew to thank us for our service during TC Debbie
Assist. It was a significant moment in my career. Although the bags were given
to us collectively, not individually, it was the first time anyone outside my
family or the military had ever recognised or thanked me for simply doing my
job. The significance was not lost on me.
Several years later, my wife Katrina was talking with JM and
— as all good wives do — volunteered my services to help with the AHQ Welcome
Evening in 2023. JM rang me the day before to let me know I had a speaking role
at 1920. This was news to me. The topic was my “relationship with AHQ”, which
at that point consisted solely of receiving a laundry bag back in 2017.
I had a great night and offered to help again in 2024 at the
Rex Hotel. You can imagine my surprise when CAPT Guy Blackburn called out my
official number and asked me to the stage to receive my quilt. I had absolutely
no idea. I was disappointed my family couldn’t be there — but I was glad the
quilters were present to see the presentation.
I walked on stage and Guy pointed to the door… and there
they were. My entire family.
That’s the thing about JM: she somehow manages to hook you
in. The difference between JM and my wife Katrina is that, from time to time, I
can build up the courage to say no to Katrina. I have yet to show that same
courage with JM.
I’m reasonably handy with woodwork, and it has been my
pleasure to make several challenge coin “stadiums” (as JM calls them) to
auction off and help raise the funds AHQ needs to keep going. JM has also
“pimped out” my services because, as she says, she knows a guy. I’ve made a
stadium for the previous Governor-General, one for the newly appointed Chief of
Army, and any number of lucky door prizes for the quilters.
Thank you JM all the wonderful volunteer quilters,
embroiderers, and helpers. 15 is a significant milestone — one you should all
be immensely proud of. Thank you from a very grateful recipient of both a very
well‑used
laundry bag and an absolutely amazing quilt.
The work you do is appreciated more than you can imagine,
and I look forward to repaying your generosity for the next 15 years and
beyond.”
#Aussieheroquilts #AusAirForce #AusArmy #AusNavy
#15yearsofcaringforourADF
What a great bunch of supporters. We are so grateful for all of them.
Standby for the next lot of stories in Part 19.
Keep spreading the word and happy stitching!
Jan-Maree xx




No comments:
Post a Comment