Tuesday 10 August 2021

Grati -Tuesday 10th August 2021

            Happy Tuesday Friends! 

I'm off work at the moment, with another blood clot but receiving wonderful care. I have had some insight this week into the craziness that is COVID in the hospital system - and how our wonderful health professionals are dealing with COVID positive and suspected patients. All I will say as is, I am very lucky and hope to be home later today.

More importantly,  like the quilts and laundry bags that make their way to their new homes each week, I love the vastly different stories that accompany the requests and the stories that make their way back to us in the forms of gratitude letters. A small window into why people choose the designs they do, what journey people have taken to get to their careers in Defence and where the journeys have taken them, fill me with such delight each and every week.

I've included as well this week, some of the short and sweet messages coming in for the COVID19 Laundry bags to those on Operation COVID Assist. 

      Enough from me, hope you enjoy the read!

....

Morning Cath,

Firstly big thank you for my gorgeous laundry bag. I love it. 

I am a 46 year old mother of three who is very new to the Army. 1 1/2 years ago I got bothered that I kept telling my girls to follow their dreams but I had never done so. So with hubby and girls approved I enlisted at 45 and went through Kapooka with others young enough to be my children. 

My girls are 22, 20 and 18. I joined as RAAOC which means 'logistics'. I am what's called a yardie. I work in a big warehouse with lots of supplies and units on my base. I was only 3 months in when I was asked to head overseas. 

I live in Queensland with hubby, and youngest with 2 puppies - both Poodle Crosses.

I'll write back again in Oz.

Love.

....

Hello Shirley,

I have received my gorgeous quilt that you have brought to life for me. This was a very quick turn around. You have done such an amazing job. I am very grateful and have shown it off to most people already. The Aussie Shepherd, I knew it might have been a challenge but I love it. I have a 3 year old Aussie Shepherd who is awaiting my return back in NSW. They are indeed a gorgeous breed. I love and miss him dearly.

COVID is indeed a tough time for us all. It's great to hear that all the extra time you may have is being put to great use. We have gone through a time where it is important to be very grateful of the small things.

I don't have any children myself but I am blessed with 3 nieces and 3 nephews, who I adore. As well as receiving your parcel today, I received a few drawings from them too so it was like Christmas in July today.

Thank you again, I am currently 26 years old, and as this quilt holds sentimental value to me. I'm sure it's going to follow me wherever I may go in life. I wish you well.

....

I used my laundry bag all the time while I was in the Middle East and I still take it with me everywhere I travel for work. My quilt now keeps my 5 month old boy warm through the cold winter nights in Western Australia.

....

Dear Bridget,

I was actually speechless when I opened the quilt. You have completely nailed my request. It is absolutely beautiful and I love it.

Just a little bit about me. I joined the Navy at 29 which was considered old. I am a Marine Technician (Diesel/ Electrical Fitter) and have been in the Navy for almost 15 years now. I have served on Major War ships but spent most of my time on Patrol Boats operating out of Cairns conducting Board operations.

It has been an interesting career with lots of ups and downs. I have travelled a lot and been to numerous countries, some of which I had never heard of before let alone envisaged visiting. I would have to say the highlight of my career has been Exercise RIMPAC based out of the United States and the following South Asia Deployment on HMAS ANZAC. We had a number of amazing port visits on our return back to Western Australia. 

I have a partner who previously served in the Navy for 15 years before becoming a contractor back to Defence. We have just gotten a small fur child who is a nine week old red heeler or as we refer to her as the devil's child. She is gorgeous but I hope she grows out of biting soon.

The quilt will be very well loved and suspect it will last a long time as I don't even want to use it as it is too beautiful.

Thank you for all the beautiful sewing and quilting you lovely people do in supporting us. It is these small gestures that make such a big difference when we are away.

Kind Regards

....

Thank you very much for your support. We appreciate it a lot.

....

Dear Janis,

I wanted to write to you to say thank you for making a quilt and laundry bag for me. I was so impressed by how much detail you included on my favourite Pokemon. They look identical to the sprites in the game. Receiving the quilt, laundry bag and goodies was the highlight of my week.  My room has become so much more colourful and homely since then. I really appreciate it!

I am 25 years old and have been in the Air Force for six and a half years. This is my first deployment in the Middle East and I have found it challenging but a fantastic experience. I am nearing the end of my trip and can't wait to come back to Australia, to see friends and family again, hopefully there aren't too many COVID lockdowns happening. 

Thanks again, I hope you and your family are staying safe back home.

Kind Regards.

....

Hello AHQ,

My quilt arrived today. I am so blown away. It honestly was the best pick me up. I am currently under the weather and this has brighten my day. It is already on my bed.

I will be sending a personalised note to Sue. She is an absolute gem.

Thank you so much.

....

Hi Ruth,

I hope you are doing well.

Thank you for the lovely laundry bag. It's amazing. I love it.

It is far beyond what I expected. It has so many different elements of Byron Bay that I've hung it up on my wall as a reminder of Australia. Rather than using it for actual laundry.

The amount of detail in each of the interwoven designs shows how much effort you've put into making it.

I've not been home for some time, even before my deployment, so your work has done a great job of relieving some home sickness.

Once again, thank you 

Sincerely.

....

Good Afternoon Ruth,

Thank you so much for the laundry bag. It looks amazing.

Love the theme.

Kind Regards.

....

Good Morning Ruth,

I received my laundry bag from you today. 

Thank you very much for the time to make this for me. I will definitely put it to use over the next few months.

You have hit the nail on the head and it will make a nice addition to my deployment gear, and will also use it when I get the chance to go camping again.

Hope you are well and once again thank you very much.

Thanks and kind regards.

....

Good Morning Cath,

How are you? Recently, I received one of your Aussie Hero Quilts. Firstly, - WOW, I am in absolute awe of what you created for me. I am so stoked and happy with the end result of my quilt.

You have created something so unique from my request and I can't express over email just how much I appreciate the thought, effort and time it would have taken to complete. I love the different fabrics used - from the sand colours, all the shades of blue and the orange trimming around the sides. They compliment each other so well. I particularly love the way you have applied the fabric cut outs to create the main turtle. You are very talented and creative lady.

I do own a brown Burmese kitty, who I miss very much. She is currently living with my mum in NSW, in a beautiful area.

I do not have children yet, maybe one day though. I am only 26.

It is such an exciting time, when anyone receives their Aussie Hero Quilt package. Usually everyone gathers around the person and waits for them to open it. It's awesome seeing what has been created for an individual from scratch, to see how every design is different.

It has definitely made my day.

So once again, thank you! I know the recipients of those laundry bags were probably gathering around to open the boxes together as well. Please pass on my thanks to Keryn for her part as well.

Take care.

....

Last week we had over 70 Air Force and yesterday 83 Navy on rotation, and as always, the laundry bags are a massive hit!

....

We would love to take up the opportunity for an Aussie Hero Laundry bag. We are so thankful you can create something so memorable from our deployment.

We are both deployed for 7 months, and a homemade laundry bag brings a sense of home and comfort being so far away from home.

We wanted to say thank you for all the hard work, effort and love your teams put into making the Aussie Hero Quilts and Laundry Bags.

We know everybody here appreciates the Aussie Hero Quilt team, thank you for everything you do for us deployed members.

....

To be honest I do feel somewhat guilty and humbled by the support provided to the ADF by organisations such as yours, where volunteers offer up their time and money to produce such wonderful work to provide a morale boost to members of the ADF deployed overseas. I feel guilty receiving such amazing support in the recognition that compared to our predecessors  in previous wars we have it really easy and are extremely well looked after.

....

Thank you again for the wonderful work you are doing to brighten our lives. It is uplifting to know that there are people back at home that are thinking of us.

....

I would like to thank you and the team for all your efforts and generosity creating such perfect reminders of deployed members deployments. The quilts and laundry bags your teams create go a long way for each and every member - past, present and future.

....

Dear Sue,

Thank you so much for my beautiful quilt. I love it. It is exactly what I need to brighten up my bed. 

Thank you for the time and effort you have put into making it. Aussie Heroes really puts a smile on peoples faces when they receive their packages.

Thank you for thinking of us. It really means a lot.

 ....

Hi Sue,

I absolutely love my quilt and bag. They are just so amazing and beautiful I can't wipe the smile off my face. I am also very amazed at how well you got everything in the box.

Thank you  so much for everything especially making the time. I can imagine sewing for Aussie Hero Quilts takes up a fair amount of time. 

Thank you again for everything you do. It is very much appreciated.

Thank you

 ....

G'day Veronica,

Just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know that my quilt arrived today on the flight from Australia.

I am departing theatre and returning home shortly, but I will be writing to Bridget to thank her for the awesome quilt that she has made for me.

Thank you for everything that you and your team of dedicated sewing people do in support of deployed ADF members - very much appreciated.

Best Regards.

 ....

Hello Ruth,

I have  received my wonderful laundry bag over in the Middle East region. Thank you so much for putting time to create such a magnificent piece of art. It is even better than what I had pictured in my head.

This is something I will keep my lifetime, so it is very appreciated.

All the best.

 ....

All the best for another week. And remember, if you can, please do like, comment and share.. Happy sewing friends.

Stay safe, and well. X



1 comment: