Thursday 5 April 2018

In advance of ANZAC Day... my two cents worth....


April is now upon us and that means ANZAC Day is nearly here.  This year for the very first time I will be taking part in the ANZAC Day March in Canberra.  If you know me then you will understand that marching is actually not an option as I have chronic arthritis and need two knee replacements in the near future.  I will be in one of the vehicles with other veterans who are also unable to march. 

I have never marched on ANZAC Day before, not during my 15 years of service, nor since. I am not sure why I didn't march when in uniform. Perhaps I was on duty on those days, perhaps there was less participation than today.  It is a long time ago.   I have raised two children and lived a whole other life. I have not marched since leaving the service as I left when my twin sons were born and generally would not have had anyone to care for them whilst I did.  Once they were older my arthritis had kicked in and marching was not an option.  Also, once separated from the service I would not have known who to march with.

This year, however, I have a place. For one year only the By The Left initiative has made it possible for all female veterans, who wish to, to march together near the front of the march.  

The motivations behind By The Left is simple. To encourage women back into the ANZAC Day march, and maybe even the defence community, by enabling them to stand shoulder to shoulder with other women who support them, and at the same time to raise awareness that the Veteran community these days is made up of females as well as males and all deserve to be respected, medals or not!

You can find out more about By The Left here  and if you have not heard about the By The Left initiative I urge you to check out their Facebook page. 

Earlier this year, the Channel 9 article about By The Left was shared on one of the other Facebook pages. After reading so many of the comments on a number of posts related to the issue of ANZAC Day and medals etc I came to the conclusion that many serving members, myself included at one time, did not or do not value their own service highly enough if they have not deployed.  Some are, sadly, even embarrassed if they do not have medals.  This prompted me to make comment and the responses to that comment prompted me to write this post in time for ANZAC Day. 

Whether or not you have deployed does not and should not define your service. 

The number of medals you wear should not define your service either.  Medals are not the only valid way to assess the value of our service. 

I served 15+ years in the RAAF and the RAN (1982-1996) and never deployed.  For much of that time, women simply had no opportunity to deploy. 

My husband and I served 30+ years between us. Like many others of our era, neither of us had the opportunity to deploy during our period of service. 

I ask you to consider this.... What would have happened to the Australian Defence Force if people like my husband and I, and our peers, had not signed on.  If a defence force only operated at a time when deployments were available and not also through times of general world stability where would we be when the need for deployments arose?   If you took everyone out of service who did not, or has not, deployed you would not have a functioning service. It is as simple as that.

A good friend of mine also did not deploy when his unit did. When the time came for his unit to deploy he and one other member were told to stay behind by the Commanding Officer.... for one reason and one reason only... because they NEEDED their expertise back home to make sure that the deployed members were expertly supported whilst they were away. They knew they could count on them, and others like them, to keep the admin going, to make sure that their needs were met whilst they went off to do a job.  It enabled them to concentrate on the job.   Later when the unit was home, the Commanding Officer reiterated that their contribution had been essential. 

For a long time I did not value my service as highly as I should have, like many of you, because I had not deployed, because I had served in a largely peacetime military. I was proud of my service but perhaps not as proud as I felt those who had "done more" should be.  Over time I have come to appreciate that if I, and those of my era and others, had not chosen to serve, then we would not have had a deployable force available when the need arose. 

These days, whilst I would never compare my service to that of many today who are being called upon to do many things I was not, I am now quite comfortable with the fact that my service is something to be proud of as much as anyone else. 

I am incredibly proud to be involved in By The Left, and to stand against these amazing women, all of who have deployed.  One of our number is currently depIoyed, coming home just in time to march.   They, like me, want to be there to stand with other women who have served.  Personally, I want to take my place with all the amazing female veterans as much to encourage others without deployment medals, as to stand beside a group of women I am incredibly proud of.

But this post is not just about the ladies who maybe have not marched for a while, it is also for the fellows who likewise do not value their service.  If you signed on the dotted line and agreed to serve your country, whether you served in Australia or overseas, stand proud.  You SERVED. You put the country's needs before yours and had you been called to war you would have gone and for that, you deserve to be thanked for your service. 

I am very much looking forward to the March.  Hope to see you there... JMxx



3 comments:

  1. Well said. Thank you all for your Service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CO directed that bloke you refer to who 'kept the home fires burning'to attend and participate in the Welcome Home march through Sydney as part of the contingent who went OS. One of the proudest days of his career in the RAAF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you continue to serve your country, by the wonderful support that you offer those who are overseas. Your quilts and laundry bags are treasured by the recipients and greatly appreciated by family back home. Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete