Tuesday 7 February 2017

Grati-Tuesday 7 Feb 17

Hey all, 

Sometimes, like when we sent quilts to the hospital to brighten the wards and the walls, we send a few quilts off to warm up a space that will be used by our Aussies so that they can remember that we are thinking of them in their down time.

This is one of those occasions.  These quilts have gone to a small group of Aussies embedded with members of other coalition forces.  This is their small "welfare" room and it was pretty bland and colourless until we sent a few quilts to brighten it up.



This message is the result of those parcels arriving

....



Good morning Carol and Beverly,

Thank-you ever so much for the wonderful quilts which you took the time to hand-craft and send through to us recently. I’ve draped them over our chairs to add a homely feel. It’s actually quite nice to sit and feel encased in Aussie support. In fact, I walked into the room the other day and one of my colleagues was sitting in one of the chairs while conducting a video chat with her partner. I also sat in one chair last night to have a flick through a magazine that had been sent through, so they are definitely being utilised and appreciated! I’ve attached a picture but the lighting and difficult angle doesn’t do justice to the beautiful colours and detail, sorry.

It was interesting that you mentioned the recent Australian Open, Carol. I note that many of my coalition colleagues were watching and it was even on tele in the DFAC (dining facility). I guess I was surprised from an overseas perspective regarding how much international interest the Australian Open generates.

Australia Day was cold and rainy but we still had a BBQ off base and enjoyed each other’s company and some good music. The cooks even tried their hand at making lamingtons – not a bad effort indeed!

I am a Nursing Officer in the RAAF and have served for 14.5 years. This is my fourth deployment and I was fortunate to receive a quilt and laundry bag on my last deployment. It’s so nice to be able to see the same joy in people’s faces when they received their personalised quilts and laundry bags from people who genuinely care. My laundry bag definitely stands out from the rest, which makes it much easier to identify when I collect my laundry.


Once again, thank-you both for your enduring support and thoughts.



.....



G'day Gail Hall,


I would like to say thank you for the quilt that you made for me. I really like the design and it has become useful. Being a surfer and a country boy at heart, the name and design has really touched me.

My deployment has been going really well and cannot wait to get back home to our beautiful country.

Thank you again for your work and thought put into everyone that is in the military and away from home.

Keep up the good work!
.....




G'day Loraine;


Just thought I'd drop you a line to let you know I received your quilt and to pass on my appreciation, the quilt and laundry bag are smashing.  

Anyway Loraine, gotta get back to work but thankyou again for your time and effort. It's really, really appreciated and a comfort to know people back home really do understand what service to the country means.

Cheers and Thanks

.....



Dear Pam, 



I had the honour of receiving your beautiful quilt the other day. I just wanted to thank you so much for the quilt, lollies and letter you sent me. 

I absolutely love all the patches! My dog and I work in the security forces unit for the RAAF.  I miss her a lot since I've been deployed. I also have a failed MWD (Military Working Dog), she is a German Shepherd, she didn't make the grade so I brought her off of Defence and now she's a pet. She is being looked after by my parents. I miss her too. 

Having the quilt makes me think of both of them and they are that little bit closer to me. 

Again thank you so much for the quilt, love the colours and all the patches. 




Thanks again. 


.....



Hello Lyn,

I can’t believe you sent me such a wonderful gift.
It is absolutely beautiful, I will treasure it always.
You have put so much effort into this and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

It is cooling down here, I forgot to put the heater on in the car
(I collect the mail at 0330 Mon, Tues Thurs) but the days are still warm 30-35 degrees Celsius.

Your gift has really brightened my day.  Can’t wait to get it on my bed and snuggle.
.....

Hee Hee, Jenny started her email to this fellow with "How the bloody Hell are you!"



Hi Jenny (and Steve)



I am bloody well - very busy, but in good health - how the bloody hell are you?

Thank you very much for the laundry bag that you made me.  It is excellent - fit for purpose and filled the 'Aussie Theme' very nicely.  Thank you for the time and effort that you put into your craft, it is very much appreciated.  Receiving my laundry bag was my highlight for the day.

Again, thank you very much for your support and wishes.

Kind regards

.....

Hi Wendy F,
Firstly I have to say your choice in fabric is outstanding I absolutely loved the flowers on the laundry bag.

I have now been in South Sudan for 3 months with a further 3 months to go.  I just came back from ROCL and spent 2 and half weeks with my family, which was fantastic.  

I think it is fantastic you have met soldiers you have personally made quilts or laundry bags for that just makes it so much more special.  I am not sure who is making my quilt but I liked one on facebook and I got a response of ‘ Hi Jo you think that one is nice wait until you see yours’ so I am super excited and so looking forward to receiving it.  You know, they are so special and will remain a life time memento of this deployment and the care and love we have back home.
.....


G'day Tamsin, Just wanted to say hi and thank you to Angela and yourself for making the fantastic Quilt and Laundry bag I received.

I love it!

It has left a massive smile on my face from when I opened the box. 
The timing was perfect as its been getting cold over here the last few weeks, so its been great to have it on the bed keeping toasty warm.
I can't wait to use them on future deployments as well. 

.....

Hi Bev

I am currently on deployment in the Middle East and have just received a laundry bag.   
Thank you very much for taking the time to make the laundry bag. I think you did an excellent job.
Once again thank you very much for your gift, it is kindness like yours that often makes being away from home that little bit easier. 

Thank you.
.....

Dear Cath

I am writing to thank you for the amazing laundry bag and tim tams I received for Australia Day it was very much appreciated and a very nice surprise.

I have been aware of the great work AHQ and laundry bags do over my last few deployments and can tell you it is a good feeling for our deployed personnel to know that there duty is appreciated.

I hope you and your family has a great 2017 and once again thankyou very much

Yours sincerely

.....

G'day Christine,

I just wanted to thank you for the laundry bag I received recently while deployed here in the Middle East. 

It's the little things which make a big difference, and I appreciate the effort you put into this bag every time I make the trek from our tent lines to the laundry. A large part of my childhood was spent in the NT fostering baby kangaroos and native birds, so the native Australian animals are a warm reminder of home (it also attracts a lot of attention from the American troops!)

We arrived here only a few weeks ago, and have several months to go.

I am an Aircraft Technician. 

Thank you again for the time and effort you put into this bag, which adds a little more comfort to our day, not only making washing easier, but reminding us of the support we have from people, like yourself, back home.

Have a great day
.....

Dear Kaye

I recently received the gorgeous quilt you made for me.

Thank you so much; I absolutely love it! I know a lot of time, effort and skill went into making this quilt.

It was lovely to read your letter and hear about your hometown. 

My quilt is excellent! It matches very well with my laundry bag and its arrival is timely as it’s getting a little bit chilly here of a night time. Now I can snuggle up with my new quilt. I also intend to take it with me on the plane (to stay warm) when I head home. It will be hard to keep it away from little Eloise as she will want it as soon as she sees the gorgeous lady beetles.

Thanks again for all of your hard work (and the extra goodies too). I just took photos to send to my family to show them. It’s a privilege to receive such a beautiful quilt.

Kind regards

......


Dear Cath,

I trust that you and your family are all well.

Just a quick note to say thank you for sending the laundry bag (with my initials) and other goodies.

I guess words are not enough to express how grateful I am knowing that there are indeed people like yourself and your family who really care about the ADF personnel and what they are doing for Australia.

My family back home wish to extend their sincere gratitude as well. Please extend our thanks to your family and the other two lovely ladies who are helping you in this very noble mission.

Wishing you all the best.


Sincerely,
.....

Till next time... keep spreading the word and happy stitching.

Jan-Maree  xx

1 comment: