12 September 2026

Part 20 of the Tales of our Travelling 15th Anniversary Laundry Bags

A bumper crop of tales and photos for you this week.   Enjoy! 

...............................................................

This wonderful fellow is a great example of the relationships that can develop with our recipients. Even whilst serving in the Navy, Crystal, was a staunch supporter of our organisation, and that relationship continues now that he is retired. This year Crystal has provided two beautiful time pieces to be auctioned during our dinner. We are so grateful to have his support and especially his friendship.

“What AHQ Means to Me

My Introduction to AHQ

I met Jan-Maree in 2016, not long after her devastating house fire. Before I met her personally, Jan-Maree had already met some of my staff after I asked them to seek her advice on using a sewing machine to make a canopy for a dessert bar. She invited them to her home to learn sewing skills and meet the sewing ladies, and this soon became a regular activity while I was posted to HMAS Watson.

The Impact of the Laundry Bags

Not long after, I was posted to HMAS Canberra as we prepared for an overseas deployment. A truckload of Aussie Hero Laundry Bags was provided to the ship’s company. It was a fantastic initiative, as we could finally identify our own laundry bags with ease.

Supporting the Charity

Over the years, I have attended charity dinners and assisted with preparations. During COVID-19, a work colleague and I designed and made the well-known miniature bed centrepieces used on tables. I have also had the honor of presenting quilts and laundry bags to a number of recipients.

AHQ does an outstanding job of making people feel valued and supported, often during some of the most difficult times in their lives. Jan-Maree Ball, the sewing ladies, and the many volunteers do remarkable work, and I feel privileged to help whenever and wherever I can.

I wish Aussie Hero Quilts and Laundry Bags a very happy 15th Anniversary.

Crystal Clear – Rtd, CPO RAN"



..................................................................

"A Personal Connection

In 2023, my son, Scott Clear (Crystal), told me that Aussie Hero Quilts would be sending a small quilt to my wife, who was receiving palliative care at home. It was a beautiful and thoughtful gesture that brought her comfort while resting in her recliner and later during her final days in the palliative care ward.

In May 2024, I was presented with my own personally designed Aussie Hero Quilt by my son at the Anglesea Barracks Sergeants’ Mess. It was a deeply meaningful moment for me and my family.

Well done on your 15th Anniversary.

Jack Clear"

Rtd, WO1 ARA"


....................................................................
With a long connection ot the Defence Community, Colleen really understands the impact of what we do.

“Why do I sew for Aussie Hero Quilts and Laundry Bags?

I served as an Army Reservist for 12 years while working in a full time job.  Later I studied full time to complete a Social Work Degree and complete Mental Health Accreditation. 

Towards the end of my career I was employed by Veterans Affairs in the role of Counsellor at Open Arms.

While I was at Open Arms, I saw an article in our online newsletter about the work that AHQ does for Defence Force Personnel. 

I phoned the contact number, spoke with Jan-Maree and the journey began.  Over the past four years, I have made 90 laundry bags and 58 quilts.  I have loved making every one of them. 

I enjoy creating  the Recipients wishes into a fabric design.  Before I send them off to their forever homes, I hug them and wish them good speed through the postal system to their destinations.”

..............................................................
The next message is from one of our earliest recipients, one who has supported us and cheered us along ever since. It really is a privilege to make connections like this.

“To the wonderful team at Aussie Hero Quilts,

I want to say a heartfelt thank you for the incredible gifts you’ve given me over the years. I received my first quilt and laundry bag while deployed on HMAS Toowoomba in 2013, and my second quilt upon retiring in 2024. Both arrived at moments when I needed a reminder that service is seen, valued, and appreciated.

Across nearly 45 years in uniform — serving two Monarchs, two countries, and countless sailors — your quilts stand out as some of the most meaningful tokens I’ve ever received. They carry warmth, pride, and genuine care stitched into every panel.

It’s also been a pleasure to contribute wildlife photos for use in other quilts. Knowing that my images have become part of the comfort you provide to others is something I’m truly proud of.

Thank you for everything you do. Your kindness reaches far beyond the quilts themselves.

A personal message from my family: Carole, Kotis, and Kaleb want you to know how much your quilts have meant to them as well. They’ve seen firsthand the long years of service, the sacrifices, and the weight that comes with a life in uniform — and they’ve seen the comfort your quilts brought into our home. To them, your work isn’t just a gift to the veteran, but to the whole family who stands behind him. They are deeply grateful for the love, care, and honour you’ve shown us.”


.........................................................

These three ladies, Hilary, Karen and Karina, are relatively new members of the group called “The Garage Girls” and they meet at my home most Fridays. They really are unsung heroes because they complete all sorts of behind the scenes tasks as well as taking on quilts and laundry bag requests themselves.

Hilary

I heard of AHQ when I saw a segment on Better Homes and Gardens. However I was working full time at that stage. Some years later JM gave a presentation at a Trefoil group and I was very impressed by the effort that went into making personalised quilts and laundry bags. It’s so nice when you are a quilter to be asked to make a quilt as it is a very contagious hobby. You can only make so many quilts for family and friends! The quilts  are great mementos of some of their military service, and the laundry bags are also a very practical part of their kit. We are always inspired by the stories that we hear and proud to be part of the team

Karen

My friend Hillary introduced me to Aussie Hero Quilts last year. I was intrigued by the idea that service men and women could be supported in a similar way that they were during WW1 and WW2. My mum spoke about sending packages to her father who was a career soldier up until the Korean War. My dad and my other grandfather also served.

The stories of the quilts' recipients are heart warming. It is great to be a part of a community, doing something worthwhile and as a bonus I am learning new tricks and techniques all the time.

Karina

I joined Aussie Hero Quilts and Laundry Bags through word of mouth because I wanted to use my sewing skills to give back to Australian Defence Force members and veterans. Knowing that a handmade quilt or laundry bag can bring comfort, encouragement, and a reminder that someone appreciates their service makes volunteering incredibly rewarding. Being part of such a caring and supportive community has made the experience even more meaningful. The group uses a wide variety of sewing skills that have broadened my skills set, this makes me more determined to give my best. I am a busy Grandmother of 3 grandchildren and have the time to produce a handful of quilts and many Laundry bags during the short time I have been a member of this dedicated group .

Many thanks for the opportunity

...................................................................................................................

It is a really lovely feeling when someone receives their quilt and replies telling you exactly what their preferences mean to them. Sometimes the preferences requested seem a bit unusual, perhaps a disparate mixture of things but the request this recipient talks about was much more straight forward. In fact, 12 years on this member is currently posted overseas. He recently came home for leave and said "Good to be home in Australia too. Hearing the lorikeeets and magpies again is bliss." Seems his tastes have not changed.

"Back in 2015, while deployed to Al Minhad Air Base, I put in a request with Aussie Hero Quilts for a design featuring native Australian birds. I knew the volunteers worked wonders, but I was completely blown away when, just six weeks later, a breathtaking quilt arrived at the base. ​I was fortunate enough to receive only the fourth quilt ever made by a wonderful maker named Amrit. She had gone above and beyond, having photographic prints of Aussie birds specially printed onto the fabric. It was covered in stunning kingfishers, cockatoos, and a bird that holds a special place in both our hearts—the blue fairy wren. ​It proudly adorned my bunk, just as quilts did for so many of us across the lines. Walking past open doors, you could instantly learn your neighbours’ passions, stories, and pieces of home simply by seeing what was draped across their beds. ​Unwrapping that quilt in the middle of the desert brought an instant, comforting piece of Australia right to my room. As Aussie Hero Quilts and Laundry Bags celebrates 15 incredible years of wrapping deployed ADF members in care, I want to say a heartfelt thank you to Amrit and the entire team for every stitch of love and dedication.






And one extra note, the last photo is our recipient (the tall bloke) and my husband, David. David just happened to be in town for work and it was easy to arrange for two of them meet up briefly so that David could collect the laundry bag and bring it home. David is often called the AHQ Sherpa as he helps move things around for AHQ, usually between home in Sydney and Canberra. He does not normaly travel overseas for his Sherpa duties! Also, he is 6 foot tall and I am not used to seeing him looking short!


.......................................................................................................................................
I still remember hearing about an Aussie soldier who was given a quilt by a American quilters whilst he was in hospital in Germany because there was nothing for him from Australia.  Whilst I was grateful that American quilters were generous enough to look after our soldier, I was saddened to know that we, Australia, had not looked after him. When it became possible for us to fill that gap for our wounded, ill or injured Aussie servicemen and women I jumped at the opportunity and we have been doing it ever since and not just for those on deployment.

“Thank you so much for asking me to be a part of this. When I was wounded in 2010, in Afghanistan, I was saddened that when I was in hospital in Germany, I was given a quilt made by the Americans and I was given nothing by any Australian organisation. It seemed to me as if we weren’t looking after our wounded as well as the Americans were.

So when Jan-Maree contacted me and organised me a quilt and a laundry bag, it made me very excited.

I have always loved the one the Americans gave me and it has had a place on my bed since I was wounded in 2010, however;

I have my Australian one proudly displayed in my home for all to see. I appreciate everything that you do Jan-Maree and I thank you for organising me such a beautiful quilt.”

#Aussieheroquilts #AusAirForce #AusArmy #AusNavy #15yearsofcaringforourADF





Till next week....  keep spreading the word and happy stitching.

Jan-Maree xx




No comments:

Post a Comment