Saturday 25 April 2015

ANZAC Dawn Service

I have not long returned home from the dawn service and I can now tell you where I went.  I have not been to a dawn service for many years. For those of you who have not met me, I have chronic arthritis and need two knee replacements which means I cannot stand or walk too much.  That has made it too hard for me to attend a dawn service or the march in the city.  

This year, however, it was really troubling me.  I usually sit at home and watch the dawn service on TV while my husband heads off to a local one and then I sew for AHQ while I watch the march from beginning to end.   A friend of mind said that ANZAC Day is for marching with your friends, and although I am not in a position to march, I really wanted to be with people that matter to me, not among strangers and not at home on my own. 

It probably fairly obvious that I am passionate about what I do and treasure the relationship I have with many of our recipients, so you can imagine my delight when I was invited to attend the dawn service with the 2nd Commando Regiment.  What a privilege.  You could have offered me a Golden Ticket to Gallipoli but I would not have accepted it in preference. 

It was a beautiful service and I was able to sit in comfort throughout and take it all in. 

I have to say a very big thank you to the Chaplain for inviting myself and my husband to attend their service and also thank you to the Commanding Officer for allowing me to attend. 




My first dawn service in many years, the first ANZAC Day I have worn my medals and the Centenary of ANZAC Year. A very special memory.

LEST WE FORGET.

4 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of dawn services at Holsworthy, I do think the small services are much nicer than the large ones. Lest we forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful invitation and fantastic you could go Jan-Maree.

    ReplyDelete