Friday 11 May 2012

An unusual request

One of the chaplains contacted me and asked if there was any way we could send over some children's clothes sizes 5-12.  Apparently tracksuit style clothing is what is needed.  He said he would call me when he comes home to explain so that is good enough for me.  It is hard to get a feel for how much is wanted but he suggested just  small amount and see how that goes.  Second hand clothes are more than acceptable.  Does anyone think they can help out?  If so please leave a comment and I will email you separately.

I also had a request for a laundry bag and quilt today from another soldier in Afghanistan and have sent an email out to my list of volunteers.  Don't forget if you are interested in being on the volunteer list just let me know.  You don't have to accept every request that I send out - just the ones that you think you can manage and have the materials for.  

One of our lovely Friends, Sue told me that she rolled her quilts diagonally to fit them in her boxes and I couldn't picture it so I asked her to send me a picture or two.  She did better than that!  Check it out.  You might like this method too!  Give it a try and tell me what you think.









Till next time................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a good way to fold the quilt and get lots of goodies in the box. I'll give that a try for my next quilt. Thanks Sue.

    Jan-Maree I'll b able to help with some clothes when you have more details. We have a lost property box at work that has a lot in it that I usually donate after a period of time, if no-one claims. Let me know when you have more details..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have any little people in those sizes ... but I could check out a few of the local op-shops - might be something, though being Darwin the range won't be as large as it would down south.

    And wow! That's a great way to fold up a quilt ... will it still fit into the boxes we need to ship them in? Looks a little wide to me ... But yes, this looks like such a lovely way to present them!! Thanks for the detailed pics Sue & Jan-Maree!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan-Maree I run our little op shop and I think I can help you here,also I was just given a bag of beautifully hand knitted little ones jumpers and i have put them away waiting for something special,can you find out if these are acceptable there is also a lovely little knitted warm rug child size...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan-Maree....I am in you know that....LOL
    maybe we can break up the sizes...and ppl can put their hands up that way we don't get too much in all the same sizes...

    Love
    Erika

    ReplyDelete