Thursday 25 April 2013

ANZAC Day Laundry Bag Challenge

Welcome to the ANZAC Day Laundry Bag Challenge.
The Big Reveal!

Well what can I say!  This is an awesome bunch of laundry bags suitable for an awesome bunch of Heroes.  I am SO GLAD that I am not the judge!  Thankfully I found another willing volunteer "over there" though I might have to pay her in ANZAC Biscuits!

So, first up, my ANZAC Day laundry bag.  Obviously I am not eligible for the prize but I still had to make one right?

Well, I made two.  This first one was a no-brainer.  
What is more appropriate for ANZAC Day than ANZAC Biscuits and diggers and Simpson and his donkey.


And this saying appears on our Facebook page.  It rings true to me.   I regularly receive emails from fellows asking for a quilt and stating that they are not heroes.  It is generally those who do not think they are heroes who are the most heroic, the ordinary blokes who do the most extraordinary things.


And now for everyone else's -29 fabulous laundry bags. Well done everyone!

Karen B


Judy C


 Julie Ann


and a close up of the patches


Joan


 Joan


Liz


Liz


Millie


Jeann



 and the back



Jill Maree


Maddy



Angela



Angela


Janine


Claire


Naomi x 2 (1 Male & 1 Female!)




Bev


Michele




There are three prizes and I will give the judge around a week to come up with the first, second and third prize winning names.  I will let you know in an upcoming post exactly wen the winners will be announced but as far as I am concerned you are all winners for having a go and making a bunch of cool laundry bags for our heroes.

Hmmm, well, tonight's post was supposed to be just about the ANZAC Day laundry bag challenge but something else happened today that caught me completely by surprise.  It has already been shared on the Facebook page but I know there are lots of you who don't do Facebook and I am regularly asked if anyone who doesn't have Facebook misses out on anything so I am sharing it again here so you are all included.  This morning there was an unexpected ring of the door bell and there was Caroline (Deputy Nut).  Here is what she posted on Facebook.

Hi guys..... This is Caroline... I have just arrived at a special lady's house to pass on this lovely present on Anzac Day.... Thanks to all involved and I will do a blog post to give you all more details... if JM lets me LOL



OK here is our lovely JM receiving her gift.... she assures me that is just sand in her eyes !!!..... It was an absolute surprise, when I rang the doorbell, she thought it was playing up.... yes it was me playing with the doorbell.. With love from all your Aussie Hero Friends and I'm sure with love from all the guys and girls who's deployment you have helped make a little easier....
My special thanks to Naomi, Liz and Carolynne for helping get the project completed XXXXX


  
What can I say? Thank you to everyone of you wonderful sneaky people who had a hand in this. I can't say I didn't cry when I received it as you have all seen that awful photo of me. Thank yo so much, I feel very humbled and I absolutely LOVE it!


Caroline will tell the full story in the next few days.

And just before i go - if you have sent a quilt or a laundry bag in the last week and are not on this list please let me know as soon as you can.

Claire
Debbie M
Jill M
Joan
Judith
Judy D
Karen B
Keryn M
Kitty
Leanne M
Liz
Liz B
Sandra M
Stephanie D
Sue F
Nancy


Till next time................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

7 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful gesture on the part of Caroline and 'friends'. Jan-Maree you do so much for AHQ and if it wasn't for you, quilts and laundry bags would not be sent to our defence personnel overseas AND we wouldn't get a thrill out of doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! Forgot to say that the laundry bags are fabulous - and they would not have been made if it wasn't for Jan-Maree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have sand in my eyes too.....What a gorgeous gesture,making and presenting Jan-Maree her very own Hero Quilt....it is really lovely and very well deserved too. Christine and your friends you are all lovely.

    The Laundry bags are all fantastic!!...The recipients will really love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I left a message here last night but it's gone ... we had internet problems in our area. Well done Jan-Maree, you deserve a special quilt just for you, and well done Caroline and friends for your excellent idea and all the work. I love that you have the cherries on the back and that you delivered it on Anzac day. When you write up the story would it be possible to show us close ups of what is written on the quilt. It is an amazing quilt for one special Aussie Hero Quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fantastic post, I am so happy that you like your quilt, I have been very excited to have been asked to do a small part of it. Great job girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GLad you liked your quilt...bet you won't ever underestimate our sneakiness in the future huh? lol

    You our all our heroes, for starting up such a worthy project, and when I contacted everyone with my idea, the responses were overwhelming.

    Hugs
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete