My goodness, another week of posts. I missed a day this week so only four posts and not five. I hope you enjoy them. See you next week.
.............................................................................................................
Lockheed Martin Australia is has been our major sponsor for several years now and we were delighted that the Chief Executive, Jeremy King and some of the team were happy to pose with one of our laundry bags as part of our 15th Anniversary celebration.
“Jan-Maree and all at Aussie Hero Quilts,
Please accept my sincere thanks for what you do every day supporting the veteran and deployed community. I count myself as a lucky and somewhat undeserved recipient of exactly why you are so valued for what you do.
I reflect back on a difficult time away from my young family over the Christmas period in 2013 during what can only be described as a challenging time for twenty or so Australians deployed on a UN deployment in South Sudan during a particularly ‘difficult’ period. Somewhere in amongst that tension and uncertainty came a message and offer of quilts and washing bags no less! Fast forward a couple of months and a number of us were soon proud owners of both. No fuss, no ego, just a polite note accompanying the gifts. My quilt had a ‘Peppa Pig’ motif (dare I say the ‘Bluey’ of the previous decade) and my youngest daughter proudly has it on her bed today. The other recipients on that deployment have different stories to tell behind their quilts alongside some shared stories and difficulties while away from loved ones at the time. Each of us equally humbled and appreciative of such a gesture to think about us.
That appreciation and gratitude is now shared by many who have served in the ADF and been lucky (like me) to be offered and received a quilt and/or wash bag. Gestures from everyday Australians to serving members of the ADF such as this is what makes Service so special. To close, a simple but sincere thank you to everyone who contributes to this wonderful endeavour.
Regards,
Jez”
In 2018 I was deployed on another ship back to the Middle East for a 9 month deployment. I was extremely spoilt to receive another quilt, this time personalised just for me! Not only was it personalised, JM and her merry band of quilting angels had contacted a number of my friends back home in Australia and had them write a message on squares of fabric to me. These were lovingly stitched across the back of my quilt. That quilt took proud position on my rack onboard for 2 years. After posting off, the quilt accompanied me on other deployments and the occasional nap at home. Not to mention the loads of washing the matching Laundry Bag helped me do over the years!
In 2021 I found myself heading back to the Middle East for another deployment, but this time land-based working in a Canadian led task group. There were five Aussies and at about the middle of our deployment, parcels containing bright fabric arrived! Our quilts were soon being admired by Canadians, Americans and other nationalities in the accommodation areas and laundry rooms! nbsp; To have received one quilt from Aussie Hero Quilts would have been an honour. To now have three of them, I am truly honoured. Each one tells a story and a different chapter of my career. Each has come to me at a different rank, a different role and on a different mission. But they all have one thing in common – they are hand made with love and care. So much so that whenever I snuggle down under one of them, I feel the warmth of those who created them. Each quilt and laundry bag is treasured by me – they hold amazing memories of experiences and the people I have been honoured to serve with, and the AHQ community who have supported me.”
Part 1. Again, I have to split a post into two parts in order to be able to fit it into a LinkedIn post. This is one of our earliest recipients and it is always lovely to hear from her.
“Fifteen years of Aussie Hero Quilts is an extraordinary milestone—one built on generosity, creativity, connection and an unwavering commitment to recognising those who serve. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been part of the AHQ story for 14 of those years, ever since it unexpectedly found its way into a hallway in Afghanistan.
A chance encounter in Afghanistan
In 2012, while deployed to Afghanistan, I noticed a commotion in the hallway after a postal delivery. Curious to see what had captured everyone’s attention, I found a collection of beautiful, seemingly random quilts from Aussie Hero Quilts. I was deployed alongside some of the toughest men you could meet, so I wisely volunteered to help hand the quilts out rather than put myself in the firing line of blokes choosing their favourites. Each quilt was unique, personal and clearly made with immense care. With the quilts came a letter explaining who Aussie Hero Quilts was and how people could donate to support their work. I had not managed to nab a quilt for myself at that point, but I donated anyway—the quilts were simply too good not to support. That small decision began an email friendship between Jan-Maree and me that has lasted ever since.
More than a quilt
When AHQ began offering personalised quilts, I quickly arranged one as a surprise for a mate before I left theatre. Then, after returning home to Australia, I received an incredible surprise of my own: a personalised quilt, along with a Santa sack featuring “JJ.” The candy-cane fabric remains an all-time favourite. nbsp; Over the years, I have watched so many friends receive their own individual laundry bags and quilts. My personal favourite was the Army AFL design. True to form, the beautiful JM made sure I received one too—another wonderful Christmas surprise. And then there were the ANZAC biscuits: unexpected parcels of warmth, kindness and home arriving when they were least expected and most appreciated.”
Here is Part 2 from our early recipient. It is really special when those who have received a quilt and/or a bag give back by helping us to make quilts and bags for others. Aussie Hero Quilts can be a wonderful circle of appreciation.
Giving back in the ways I could
I cannot sew and I cannot quilt, but I have always wanted to contribute in whatever small ways I could. That has included helping clarify military details for surprise gifts, transcribing thank-you letters, tracking down logos—yes, even random ones like Coopers—and supporting the work behind the scenes. In recent years, whenever there have been openings, I have also requested special quilts and laundry bags to recognise people who may have missed out over the years. Every request has carried a story, a service history and a person worth acknowledging.
A family built through kindness
I have been fortunate to present AHQ quilts on behalf of the organisation. One of the hardest, yet most meaningful, moments was presenting a Fallen Hero Quilt to the family of someone I knew. That person was especially important to people close to me, and in the midst of their sudden loss, it felt like the only meaningful thing I could offer my friends who were hurting.
AHQ is far more than quilts, laundry bags and parcels.
It is recognition, friendship, remembrance and a powerful reminder that service does not go unnoticed. I genuinely feel part of the AHQ family, and Jan-Maree has become a true and cherished friend—someone who is always there.
Congratulations, Aussie Hero Quilts, on 15 remarkable years. Thank you for the countless acts of kindness, the surprises, the comfort and the unwavering support you have given to so many. I am proud to have played a small part in the past 14 years, ever since AHQ stumbled into my deployment in Afghanistan.
And, of course, we will not mention that time someone wanted AHQ stopped.”
Hope you are all enjoying your public holiday, if you have one today!
Till next week, happy stitching and keep spreading the word.
Jan-Maree xx

No comments:
Post a Comment