Tuesday 2 May 2023

Grati-Tuesday 2nd May 2023

 

Happy Tuesday Friends!



Wow, the year is just flying by. First Grati Blog for May!

We hope you enjoy reading through these wonderful letters as much as we do. 
Some will pull at your heart strings!!!!

Grab a cuppa, sit back and enjoy some well deserved gratitude!

...
Good afternoon, 

Recently the beautiful quilt you made me arrived here in South Sudan. I wanted to take a moment to thank you for what must have taken such a lot of work. 

I am very proud to be representing the Australian Army here while working for the United Nations. However, it has also been a very long and difficult deployment. I have about 2 months left of my 9 months here.

It is an austere environment, and I miss my partner, family and friends. Additionally, whilst here I have had a bout of malaria, and unfortunately my beautiful, 10 year old border collie unexpectedly passed away while I was gone.

I don't say all this to upset you in any way, I wanted to try and communicate just how much receiving your quilt meant to me during what has been a difficult time. I am actually tearing up a little as I write this. 

So many of us join and choose to wear this uniform for a career of service, we make some sacrifices so that we can protect and empower people. We don't do this so that we can receive recognition, so when it does occasionally come, I think we are often unprepared for just how touching it can be, and how it helps to make everything worth it. 

My partner also serves in the Army, and we are often apart for lengthy periods. I can't wait to bring this quilt back to our home, where it can sit on display in recognition of this deployment. It will make us both very proud to look at, and also grateful for the time we are not apart. 

I don't think 'thank you' can quite cut it, but thank you so much. 
... 

Good Morning Jan-Maree,

 

I would like to thank you and the team for the wonderful quilt which was presented on Friday evening when we celebrated his 100th birthday.

 

He was completely chuffed and appreciative and our members were in awe of the work you do. 

 

Again, on behalf the recipient and the members of our Sub Branch, sincere thanks.

 

Kind regards

Bobbie and the Mystery BOMers, quilted by Alison

... 

Hi Bridget R,

I just wanted to say thank you for the Aussie Quilt, it was received here in State College, Pennsylvania and it is amazing. 

A little bit about me, I finished High School and went straight to the Australian Defence Force Academy, I’ve had such an adventure in the Navy serving in Submarines and Warships, that has somehow ended up with me studying Nuclear Engineering in middle America, it is crazy.

I am married with two boys, aged 10 and 8. They loved the quilt, I think it gave me a bit of credibility, it is hard for them to imagine my Navy life, they just get use to living without me around at times, so thank you again for providing that connection.

I hope you and your family are well, stay safe, and thank you.

Warmest Regards 
...
Good Afternoon Christine C,

I received the quilt you had made today, it’s absolutely perfect! I appreciate the effort involved as my nan used to make quilts too. I have since posted off Hobart to complete my training as a Maritime Warfare Officer (I graduate in July!).

A bit about me, I too originate from country NSW and grew up a bit of a farm boy, my dad was in the army and I always knew the military would be for me. I have served in the Navy for 2.5 years and am loving every moment.

I requested this quilt while on my first deployment to the South China Sea and had an amazing (occasionally intense) time and I’m glad to have this quilt to keep all those memories alive for me.

Thanks again and enjoy any future travels you may have!
...
Good Morning,
 
My quilt arrived safe and sound. I really appreciate the effort that you and your team put into the Quilts and Laundry bags. Myself and my team adore them.
 
Thank you so very much
 
Cheers,
...
Dear Ellen M, Heather & Sylvia B (Chocolyn Laughalot Ladies),

I have a daughter on deployment in Egypt. She received one of your Quilts & I’m writing to thank you three beautiful ladies who made her Quilt. She absolutely loved her Quilt & said it was the nicest 'Thank you for your service' she had ever received. I am so grateful for the sacrifice & all the work that you put into those Quilts. You are making a difference in the lives of everyone of those defence personnel, that are away from home. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are amazing.

Love❤️
...

Dear Amy K,


Sending this to say a huge thank you for my absolutely amazing quilt and laundry bag.  It arrived just in time for my birthday – so it feels extra special.

I can't say how grateful I am and just how much I love it – and all the colour. 

Thank you for your time and effort.

...
A group of very happy recipients receive their quilts.





(The above quilts are by Bev F, Keryn M, Lyn C and Pennie T all presented to some well deserving recipients!!!)
...
Hi Pennie T,

I am now a very proud and privileged owner of a Aussie hero quilt that you have so majestically crafted for me which left me lost for words actually.

Firstly a massive bear hug and secondly an endless thank-you for the thoughts, ideas, dedication and diligence in designing my quilt.

Once again thank-you for your time and commitment into making all these quilts, the pride I have for receiving one just can’t be measured.

Safe travels and all the best for you and your family.

Kindest regards,

...
Hi Jan-Maree and colleagues, 

Recently my son, (a huge fan of yours Jan-Maree, and proud quilt recipient himself) applied for a quilt for his dad. His Father has served for over 42 years so far, with almost 35 in the regular Army.

Amy P, together with Joan B, created a unique work of art that he was absolutely thrilled to receive. We have written to Amy to thank her, but also wish to thank all those in the organisation for their incredible work in making our service personnel feel valued, special, proud and honoured.

With gratitude and best wishes,

(Note this father and son (and dog) was the main photo 
published in last weeks ANZAC Day blog)
...
Until next week keep your letters, emails and photos coming in.  

Tuesday's would be so totally boring without them!
๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ

No comments:

Post a Comment