Tuesday 25 May 2021

Grati -Tuesday 25th May 2021

                                                                         Hey friends!

What a drizzly week Sydney has put on for us so far, looks like Autumn is well and truly in full motion. These afternoon cool downs are definitely setting in! 

I'm rugged up, and ready to sit back and enjoy some wonderful notes.. How about you?

Please enjoy....

....

Hi Chris,

I just wanted to drop you a quick note of thanks on behalf of my wife and myself for the laundry bag she received recently. My wife is an ADF member, currently posted to Queensland, however she is presently in NSW for a few months on Operation COVID Assist. We haven't see each other for a few months (I am still located in Northern Territory for work), so when I got to fly down last week and pay a visit I did. Of all the things she had been excited about over recent months, I have to say, she loved her laundry bag the most. So much so that she asked me to write to you and say so, and it's been a pleasure for me to do so.

Being married to an ADF member can be challenging. I know this better than most as I am ex-ADF myself (8 years) and often it's the little things that can make a difference and make us smile through another day. Your gift did exactly that, so thank you.

Anyway, keep up the great work and on behalf of my wife and I, thank you for support during a challenging time.

Stay safe and kind Regards.

....

G'day Wendy,

I am the honoured recipient that received your great work from Aussie Hero Quilts. I am 22 years and an Information Systems Technician in the Regular Australian Army Signals Corps. I enlisted in 2018, where I currently reside in QLD with my unit.

I grew up in QLD for the majority of my life. Growing up fitness was a big passion for me, so I studied a Certificate 3 and 4 in fitness while I was in school. Once I finished school, I then became a personal trainer at my local CrossFit gym for a few years. Which helped me gain skills such as public speaking, group management and event organising.

In 2016, I moved and became an electrical apprentice. I joined the Defence Force to seek more opportunities with seeing the world, learning new skills and being able to make lifelong friends. To which all have occurred with my past three years.

Some of my hobbies include; video games, fitness, surfing, skateboarding and drawing. Each of them mean a lot to myself they are not only enjoyable but have been able to help me cope and calm myself down in times of distress in my life.

I have two younger siblings, my sister (20), and studying law and justice, and my youngest brother (16) currently lives with my parents and is in year 10. My mother works at the local optometrist. My siblings and my mother mean the world to me and I am so happy to have them in my life.

I am deployed and working on LV1 IT Helpdesk, so if any users have any trouble with their computers, I'm one of the first points of contact to help fix any of their issues. I've been here since early 2021 and I am slated to be deployed until late 2021, so months away from home and Australia for the fact is quite a while.

When I return I plan on going down to NSW because I remember doing a road trip from the coast to seeing one of my best mates in ACT (who is a lieutenant in the AUS Army) and I remember diving down that part of Australia thinking wow this is beautiful I definitely want to come back down this way. So I'll pack my car, my surfboard and head down south.

Thank you so much for the work you do. I know I have been anxious in excitement on how this quilt would look and it's absolutely amazing what both your sister and your sister-in-law did for me! This quilt will definitely keep me warm at night. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Kind Regards

....

Dear Toni,


I am the Regimental Sergeant Major for the Australian Contingent as part of the Multinational Force Observers in the Middle East. Most recently, I am also the recipient of your wonderful laundry bag which has made the long journey from Australia.

The current Australian contingent comprises of members from Navy, Army and Air Force. We left home early this year and we are now half way through our tour. As you might imagine, COVID-19 situation outside Australia is quite challenging but our men and women continue to work hard and keep safe.

Fortunately, our tight restrictions lifted enough to conduct a small ANZAC Day Dawn Service this year. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for our team, especially for these who had never experienced ANZAC Day whilst deployed overseas. It was made even more special by also being able to share the occasion with our New Zealand brothers and sisters.

My new laundry bag made the journey safely and in one piece. Your design and efforts are amazing and greatly appreciated. I am a little scared to use it for dirty laundry at the moment and have it hanging on the wall to brighten up my room. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to produce over 200 laundry bags over the years. Your generosity and dedication to make those who are deployed feel supported is a credit to you and all the team that donate their time to make us feel appreciated.

Thank you for your dedication and support, know that your efforts mean a lot to the men and women who are away from their homes and families.

Kind Regards.

....

Good Afternoon Anne,

Firstly I would like to thank you for the laundry bag that you took the time to make for me. I am very grateful and appreciative of the time and effort you put into this for me.

The work put into these items for the deployed troops is something, that many of us have come to greatly appreciate. There is always a bit of gathering to see what the next quilt / laundry bag looks like when it arrives, especially helps the troops who are on their first deployment and may be missing home and loved ones more than they expected. 

So on behalf of all of us, that are deployed and that you have put items together for over the years, thank you, your time and efforts make life away from home more bearable.

A little about myself, I am a Works Supervisor and work for RAAF Airfield Engineering. Whilst deployed I am a part of the Engineering Support Element (ESE) Project Management Team. Our role here is to provide Infrastructure support in the Middle East. The works range from simple camp maintenance to Force Protection for the troops across the entire theatre of operations.

If all things go to plan and with a pinch of luck, I will be heading home to QLD and the partner and young bloke in the next few months. Which will be a bit of a temperature shock given how hot it is getting here at the moment.

I better get back to work, but again thank you very much it means a lot.

Best wishes.

....

Hi Sally,

I absolutely love the quilt, and I've wanted to thank you for it since I received it, it was a god-send while at sea on the patrol boats as the air con blows directly into the racks and between it being 35 outside and 10 inside, you need as many blankets as you can get.

I'm well, I moved back to NSW at the end of last year to complete my qualifications as Maritime Warfare Officer and recently qualified, so now I'm off to WA . I hope you and your family are well.

The days get long and hard at sea, it is always nice to know people like you support us and the quilt is brilliant physical reminder of that.

Thanks again.

....

From the Facebook Page;

'Our Aussie Hero Quilt, baby Roo and Laundry Bag are among our most sentimental possessions. I often look at them 18 months on, and think "Wow, these were made for us, and someone  was thinking of us during such a hard time in our lives. Keep up the great work. You are all angels'.


....

Hi Clarissa,

I am sending this email to say thank you for the Parramatta themed laundry bag you made. I actually put this request in for my serving partner, who has been Aussie Hero Quilt and laundry bag, bagless for his seven year Naval career.

    I received the parcel on the weekend, and I cannot wait to bring the laundry bag to him from deployment. He will absolutely love it. I was so thrilled when it arrived.

Thank you so much - really appreciated your efforts and time invested.

Kindest.

....

Good Evening Anne,

Thank you very much for the quilt. It arrived on the supply flight today.

I really appreciate the effort you went to for this, and will remember it fondly.

It is really nice getting something from home.

Please keep up the good work it means a lot to the people over this way.

Regards

....

Hi Veronica,

I hope this email finds you well.

Many thanks for the beautiful quilt that arrived here two days ago, it looks amazing and is a great reminder that people like you think about us far away from home.

The laundry bag also arrived a few weeks ago. I love it and use it daily. 

Please forward my email to all the generous Aussies that spend time sewing these items for us, it really makes a difference in our lives away from home.

Kind Regards.

....

Hello Georgina and family,

Thank you very much for the quilt and bag, they are both amazing! I showed them to my wife and kids and they all loved them!

My wife and I had our 12th wedding anniversary recently. Our daughters are 10 and 5. 

It is very clear to see you are very talented. I was blown away. It has really brightened my cabin.

It's a pleasure to serve here knowing we are supported by so many at home. I'm used to deploying on a submarine, which is little to no fan fair and public knowledge.

A little about myself. I joined the Navy in 2003. Recruit training in a Victorian winter wasn't the best idea I've had. I stayed at HMAS Cerberus for about 12 months afterwards due to course dates changing.

After Cerberus I moved to NSW to do the Combat Sydney Operator course which is basically a radar and sonar operator. On completion of, I posted to Western Australia. Two months later I was sent back to Victoria to Commission HMAS Toowoomba FFH157. Toowoomba is an ANZAC class Frigate. After a few months in dry dock, we put to sea where I quickly discovered I got seasick. What's worse was I stayed sea sick for the whole two and a half years I was on board!

While on Toowoomba, I struck up an internet friendship with someone on a travel friends type page. I was interested in going to Japan and she was Japanese. After emailing for a few weeks, I told her I was going to QLD for leave in 2006. She said she lived there, so we swapped numbers and planned to meet. We did meet and the rest is history.

 A short time later, Toowoomba sailed to the Middle East for six month. 

We kept in touch during the deployment and met on the wharf when we returned to WA.

After Toowoomba, I posted to ADFA. I was at a drill and ceremonial unit from 2007 - 2009. I went to the Middle East for ANZAC Day. It was amazing. After this I posted again, but not before getting married.

I served until 2011, when we had our first daughter. Between 2011-2013 I was in NSW before transferring to the submarines, where I became an AWA (Acoustic Warfare Analyst). So more Sonar. I've served on three of six boats, had a second daughter and made a life for ourselves over there.

That's a quick wrap up of my time and service. I hope it made sense.

Thanks very much for all you do. It really makes a difference.

....


Well that's a wrap for this week, wherever you are reading from, stay well, stay happy and stay safe.

Till next week

Alex :)


No comments:

Post a Comment