Tuesday 9 February 2021

Grati-Tuesday 9th February 2021

 

                                                                          Hello dear friends, 

My favorite time of the week. What have you been upto this week? Keeping busy with some wonderful creations I bet? 

Me, I've been busy getting back into the swing at work, I even had a short stay in the city last week so I could venture back into the office for the first time since early December (and 3 weeks post op). I have to say, it was a bit much, I slept like a baby, but that might have been the hotel bed - it was just wonderful. 

I've also caught up reading some of the wonderful letters you've shared and in turn I share here.. Such gorgeous notes from all over the world and some from across Australia as our troops continue to support Operation COVID Assist. 

Hope you have a wonderful week and in the meantime, enjoy the beautiful notes and photos below. 
Alex x


.... 

Rhonda,

I am writing to say thank you, for the quilt I just received.

Once again, thank you so much.

.... 


Good Afternoon!

I have received my quilt and laundry bag and was absolutely thrilled. 

So gorgeous, really appreciate the hard work gone into it all!

Made my day.

.... 


Hi Bridget,

Apologies for the delay in emailing. It has been a couple of weeks while we had a few things to tend to, but just wanted to let you know the quilt has arrived and we absolutely love it.

When we got the date for discharge, I couldn't wait to organise a quilt for him, and he didn't hesitate in giving me some ideas on what he wanted on it. It was such a priviledge to be able to put a request in and I was so thrilled when he actually rattled off straight away when asked what he would like to have on the quilt... To say I was surprised is an understatement but it gave me the warm and fuzzies to know I might be able to part of organising something special to mark the end of his remarkable career. He has spent the last 20 years in the Army and multiple critical deployments overseas with the last posting in NSW.

The three flags are acknowledgement of where a large part of his career has spent and enjoyed (outside of Australian waters), surfing is one of those past times that really is at his core and is exploring ways to be able to continue both for enjoyment but also as part of his life after service. The van life, has been part of his transition to life after service, and enjoying time traveling around Australia, in a van built by himself (and some mates along the way) to be able to live comfortably on the road and finally, the quote is from a book on the culture of the All Blacks and resonated through his career and into his personal life.

I am so ridiculously in awe of the creativity and sheer kindess that comes from the AHQ volunteers in all the endless time, material and thought that goes into planning and execution of all the laundry bags and quilts each and every week, but this one might just be a favourite!

It's one thing for us to be able to pull a few of his thoughts or remarkable things togethers as an idea, but the way you've brought it to life on the quilt is beyond talented. His first remarks was 'it's probably the best thing someone has ever made me'. 

Thank you for bringing this amazing creation together, for your time, your creativity, your passion and mostly your care. You have marked the end of his service in a way we are truly thankful for and he will treasures on his new adventures, and I'll be sure to send through some photos of the quilt on it's adventures!

So incredibly happy and blessed. 

Thank you again!

.... 


Hi Catherine,

Just received my quilt in the mail and wanted to let you know that I am extremely grateful for the incredible work that you, your organisation and it's quilters are doing! 

My quilt and laundry bag are both masterpieces and something that I will treasure for the rest of my life. 

Keep up the amazing work you are doing.

Kind Regards.

.... 


Dear Gail,

Thank you for the quilt and laundry bag. They are very impressive and I really enjoy them, so thanks again. Means a lot to me, for you to spend so much time on them.

I am in the Air Force and have been in it for about 3 years now, as I was in the Army before that, for about 12 years.

I do communications by trade with mine being more of ICT / Network background. I am currently in Queensland. Unlike the Army, it is the only communications unit in the RAAF that does what it does. In the Army, I was what they called an Information Systems Technician, a part of the Royal Australian Signal Corps (RASIGS). I have somewhat of a military background with my father having been in the Royal Australian Armoured Corps (RAAC) for over 35 years. My brother-in-law is also in the RAAC, having done a bit over 20 years.

This is the second time I have deployed and I am in a different location compared to last time where I deployed to the Middle East in 2014-15. This deployment has been very different as I am doing this in an Air Force role and last time I was in an Army role. 

The people I know serving currently and those who were serving before the Aussie Hero Quilts organisation started thoroughly enjoyed the quilts and bags and appreciate the time and effort that you volunteers put in to them, so again, I sincerely thank you and all those who do these for our service members and hope that those who end up redeploying or new people coming into the services get to experience an Aussie Hero Quilt.

Once again, thank you so much for the quilt and bag and hope your family have been happy and health during these uncertain times.

Kind Regards.

.... 


Good Afternoon Ruth,

I just thought I would send you an email and thank you so much for the laundry bag you made me. I am so appreciative of the time and effort you took to make it and I've put it to some good use while I have been away! 

 I'm sorry it took a while to get you a reply but we have been quite busy. I hope you were able to have a good Christmas and New Years, thanks again!

You're the best!

Kind Regards.

.... 


Hello Ruth,

Firstly, I just wanted to thank you for making my laundry bag. I love it, and I'll be keeping for a long time to come. My mum always used to tell me that it costs nothing to be nice to someone, you've helped remind me of that.

Considering the year that 2020 was, I really appreciate all the time and effort that you put into to make this laundry bag. I hope everything is going well with you and hope your family is safe in these trying times.

Again, thank you very much.

Kind Regards.
.... 


Hi Mary-Anne,

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Years with your family!

I just wanted to say thank you very much for the beautiful quilt made by Aussie Heroes. I truly love it and can't tell you how much it truly means to me.

.... 


From the Facebook Page;

I just received my quilt from you guys.

After a big surgery, it has brought a lot of happiness and I'm very proud of it.

Thank you very much for the work you guys do.


.... 


Afternoon,

I am currently enlisted in the ARA. Recently, you made a quilt for me as I was injured for quite a while.

I just want to send a personal thank you for my quilt that you made for me. It will hold a big part of my heart as my defence career has been full of injuiries.

Thank you very much for everything you've done for all servicemen/women and veterans. It is truly beautiful concept that I am now proud to be apart of. I will cherish the quilt forever.

Kind Regards.
.... 


Dear Jenny,

I recently received the amazing quilt and laundry bag that you made for me. To say I love them both would be an understatement, the nautical theme and colours you used will brighten up my cabin on-board no end.

I have been married to my wonderful wife now for almost 24 years and also have two adult children. A daughter, 19, and son, 24. At this stage there are no grandchildren.

After meeting my wife in Western Australia, I am originally from South Australia, we moved to Northern Territory in 2002 and have lived here ever since. My wife is a primary teacher and as an amateur sewer, was in awe of the quality and colours you used and in particular loved the personal touch of including my initials.

Thanks again Jenny, I truly appreciate the quilt and laundry bag and will show them off with pride every chance I get.

Cheers.
.... 


Good Afternoon Bridget,
Happy New Year and start to 2021!

I am a Flying Officer and I recently received the AMAZING Aussie Hero Quilt and Laundry Bag you have kindly made for me. I am so very overhelmed with your gift, it is wonderful and makes my room feel a little bit more like my own. Thank you. I love it!

The design is perfect - scuba diving through and through. In fact, I have sent a photo to my husband and he is very jealous of the quilt and laundry bag.

My husband and I met whilst scuba diving. It is our favourite pastime and we travel all over the world diving. My most recent was in the Western Pacific and I was very fortunate to explore old shipwrecks and reef systems. The most interesting dive I have done was in the same location. There is WW1 and WW2 ship that have been sunk/wrecked touching eachother. It was such an awesome experience and will certainly cherish it for years to come (plus it tugged at my military heartstrings).

Both my husband and I are serving Military members. We are both Flying Officers in the RAAF and we live in Northern Territory working together on base. Myself, as a Logistics Officer and my husband as a Security Police Officer. Whilst I have always been RAAF, my husband has only just service transferred from the Army after 16 years. My husband's family has a tradition of serving our country, and I am the first for my side of the family. Whilst we do not have children as of yet, I can see that my husband would love our children to follow in our footsteps.

I am so very appreciative of the time and effort the Aussie Hero Quilts have dedicated to providing morale and support to Aussie troops. It really does make a huge difference. I have been boasting all week about my quilt and laundry bag. The show and tell aspect when someone receives a quilt is pheonomenal - you honestly can't wipe the smile off their face. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. It matters and I am so very thankful.

Thank you once again! You have made my deployment.

Kind Regards.
.... 


Dear Bridget,

Thank you for sending such a lovely quilt! It is outstanding work and looks great. Just how I imagined it.

I am currently deployed to the Middle East and your gift was definitely a welcome surprise as it is winter here and will be put straight to use. The design is sort of our unofficial mascot, but I'm sure you help fulfill all sorts of requests that are unique.

I am 30 years old and work as an electrical technician in the Army. I started an apprenticeship after high school but through the defence force. I have been serving full time for almost 10 years now. 

My home town is Western Australia where my partner and I live. My partner has also started a career in Early Childhood and has recently completed her Cert III, she hopes to start her diploma soon. We have no children but are planning to grow our family in the near future. Right now our 3 year old Jack Russell keeps us busy enough.

I look forward to showing off my quilt when I return home.

Much appreciated.
.... 


Dear Alison,

I have finally recieved the beautiful quilt that you carefully crafted! It is amazing. You certainly have a lot of talent!

The floppy ears are exactly as you described them. I love them!

My family has one mini dash, he thinks he is a doberman. We brought him when he was nine months old from a family who had decided that they didn't want him anymore. He is very much loved by family (although he is on a diet at the moment to help him lose some of our 'loving'). He's quite territorial too. I am not sure how he would go with another dog but I hope we can get him a friend one day. He is part of our family. He keeps us company and is very protective of us. He would take on the world to protect us. We love him to bits.

The poor quilt has travelled some distance on it's quest to find me. I returned to Australia a bit earlier than expected due to medical reasons, so by the time the quilt arrived overseas, I had already returned home. Fortunately, a very kind lady sent it back to Australia. After quarantine was complete, I spent a while in Sydney for medical treatment. Following surgery, and a period of recovery, I returned home and my quilt was waiting for me!

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I have been married for sixteen years. My husband I have an eight year old son. My family means everything to me. I am not keen on spending any more time away from them again, but I am sure my employer will decide my fate in that regard.

Thank you for taking the time to sew this beautiful quilt. Philomena completed the quilting and Marianne added the crest and lettering. Please thank all of them for me if you see them.

Life has been an adventure recently! I have had a lot of time alone to reflect. I really appreciate the kindness of many people who have reached out to me with positive thoughts and well wishes. You are one of these people and it is important to know how grateful I am for this gift. I don't get excited about much, but I felt like a little kid opening up the package!

The quilt is better than anything I could have imagined. I feel truly blessed.

I hope you and your family stay safe during these crazy COVID times. Take good care of yourself. You are a kind human and you deserve the very best.

Much love.

.... 


Good Morning Alison,

First of all I would like to say thanks for sending over the Aussie Hero Quilt, it turned out awesome! Lachlan has done a fantastic job and should be very proud of his efforts. Thanks for sending your letter, it was lovely to read. Receiving mail over here is one of the best things and makes the time go a bit quicker!

Being apart of Aussie Hero Quilts, you should be super proud, it brings a smile to the troops all over the world. 

Keep up the great work.
.... 


Dear Lachlan,

As you are aware I am a Soldier who is currently serving on overseas operations. First of all, I would like to start the letter off with a massive thank you. The quilt turned out awesome and I honestly could not be more impressed with the work you have done. So good on you mate, you did a great job and you should be very proud!

To answer a few of your questions, I'll introduce myself a little. I joined the Australian Army about 6 years ago. The reason I joined is like most, to serve Australia and the people that live here. In short, I've had grandparents serve before me, which always made me want to join the military. My background is in logistics, which means we get equipment where it needs to be basically. It's a busy job, but very important.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family. It sure sounded like it would've been a lot of fun. Thank you for taking the time to sew my quilt for me, knowing it took 4 weeks to make, makes me very grateful. So thank you.

I hope you keep up the good work, you guys are doing, as it brings smiles to troops all around the world. All of the work from yourself, Geoff, Alison, and Pauline does not go unnoticed.

Yours truly.

.... 


Hi Lisa,

It is with great pleasure to let you know that I received my quilt and I could not be happier.

I will send a thank you to my quilter as well and let her know.

Kind Regards.





1 comment: