Wednesday 10 October 2018

Some belated thank you messages....

It looks like this did not publish last week as I thought it had but it was brought my my attention by one of my quilters so here it is now... enjoy. 
.....

Dear Georgina,

I am writing to thank you for the lovely personalised quilt you made for me. It really blew me away to receive this in the post along with your letter. I must apologise though for taking so long to reply to you. I did receive it a couple of months back and have been meaning to reply ever since, but somehow work kept getting in the way.

I am currently serving in South Sudan with the United Nations. I am part of a group of 20 Australian Defence Force personnel working here. 

There is also something quite funny I have to tell you.....the blackhawk picture you put on the quilt, well I believe that was actually me flying that blackhawk  in front of a waterfall in East Timor many years back!!! I have the same photo. How funny you would find that picture of me for my quilt!!

I'll sign off by saying once again, thank you so much for you kindness in volunteering for Aussie Heroes and making me the quilt. It means a lot me and my fellow colleagues that there are people like you back home who are thinking about those of us in the far flung places of the world.

Take care Georgina

Kind regards


.....

Dear Cath,

First of all THANK-YOU!  I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the lovely care package and the laundry bag.

It is almost as if you knew me before making the care package, all of the colours are my favourite and everything in the package was exactly what I needed.  Your letter was very touching; the fact that you take time out of your busy life to put together such detailed and personal care packages for Deployed ADF members admirable.  I bet your son is very proud of your contribution, and it is evident that you are extremely proud of the sacrifices that he has made, I hope he is recovered well and enjoying his life firm on Aussie soil.

Once again, thank you Cath, I am so appreciative.

It is such a joy watching everyone receive their quilts and washing bags so eagerly.  It is the highlight of everyone’s weeks here as it brings so much excitement into our trip.  Your hard work and effort does not go unnoticed.

Kind regards,
......

Dear Cath,

Words cannot express how this quilt made me feel, I had a very emotional week and when the quilt arrived it just brought tears to my eyes and warmed my heart more than you could ever imagine.

This quilt had exceeded every expectation, everybody that has seen it loves it!!   My room is so much brighter, the colours and the detail are so amazing.

This is everything I am; I love the 1950’s style.  The pink and grey are the colours I have in my lounge back home, so this will take pride and place in the lounge for years to come.

I try and sew a bit at home, but I’ll never be as creative as you. The quilts and laundry bags that the troops receive from all the Aussie Hero Quilts volunteers are appreciated more than anyone could imagine.

I would like to thank you with all my heart xoxo

.....

 Hi Sandy,

Thank you so very much for the amazing quilt you sent me – I absolutely love it, and am so grateful.  It has far exceeded any expectations I had, and I’m so grateful for the thought, time and effort you and the Aussie Heroes sewing team in Coff’s Harbour have put into making the quilt, thank you.

Aussie Hero Quilts is an amazing organisation and I can’t fathom the amount of ladies Jan-Maree must have around Australia who make the laundry bags and quilts, there must be so many of you!  It’s very humbling to know that you spend time to make our lives a little easier.  The quilt has certainly brightened my room and makes it feel a little more like home 

I am married with two kids, my son 4 and my daughter is 2.  They’ve both had Birthdays while I’ve been deployed.  I miss them very much and am very excited to home next week on holidays to see them.  We are planning on having a holiday and going camping, which will be lovely.   I’ve enjoyed my time here, but I am looking forward to going home also.  Can’t say I will miss the weather here, it’s very hot!

Thank you again so much for the quilt, I am so grateful.  Please pass on my sincere thanks to the ladies in your team also.

Take care,
......

Dear Jenny W

Thank you so much for the laundry bag! I absolutely love it! It is almost too nice to do my washing in but I will at least be able to tell which laundry is mine now.
 I appreciate the effort & time  you have taken to create this for me & the many other serving members over the past two years.

I am a Lieutenant in the Australian Army & as you already know, belong to the Corps of RAEME. I have been in the Army 6 years & have now had the chance to deploy to Iraq this year as my first deployment. I am currently doing a variety of logistic roles & am having a great time with a lot of new experiences. I am missing my friends & family back home very much so packages like yours keep me grounded & thinking of everyone back in Australia that is supporting the work we do here.

I joined the military straight out of High School & have made some amazing lifelong friends in my short career & experienced so much in such a short time. I can add receiving my first laundry bag hand made for me to that list of memories I will hold close forever.

Your efforts & thoughts are so important to the deployed members, they all talk & share their laundry bag & blanket designs with each other & we all love the love work you all do.
From all the deployed Men & Women, I thank you wholeheartedly.

.....

Dear Anne,

Thank you so much for the laundry bag you made for me. I received it in on our RCB rotation in Butterworth, Malaysia. I always use it for my laundry and was used rigorously over the 3 months in Malaysia. It's great that you have a fun hobby and love making laundry bags and quilts. You remind me a lot of my mum who loves making quilts also, 

Thank you very much for your support and know that you definitely make a difference with the laundry bags, quilts and especially the thoughtful letter that comes with them.
Best wishes.
.....

What a beautiful piece  of art and thank you for your time and patience for creating this quilt for me. The selfless hours, not only in discovering the background of the person you are creating this for, but your heartfelt time in creating such a warm and timeless piece for which I will cherish and one day pass on to my children.

I love the rising sun in the centre as a reminder for which I served with pride, it is truly Australian. This quilt will take pride of place in my home.

I have had the honour of representing Australia in a number of sporting fields in international competitions throughout the world but this Invictus Team would remain as the highlight of  my sporting career not only for the events for which I am competing but for the people who I have met along this journey.

Getting to know their individual stories, both during and after serving, and seeing how these game have enriched them, like your quilts, to help them find a new and rewarding lease of life to be able to be themselves in an environment where they don't feel judged as the outside world judges.

Being part of this and to help the younger vets back on track is a great reward in itself. 

I watch them with pride in their achievements and developments moving from strength to strength their faces becoming brighter with every step no matter how slow.

In closing again I with to thank you and wish for you and your family health, happiness and most of all peace.

Yours in Invictus
......

Dear Lynn,

Thank you so much for the quilt you made for me, it is incredible!! Wow! I can’t thank you enough for your effort and the quality of your work. I have shown many of my RAEME mates over here (and sent pictures back home to others) they are all envious. I will treasure it forever and it will always be a special reminder of my time over here and of the appreciation from home for what I achieved.

Receiving gifts such as your quilt and the laundry bag that I received from Rhonda (which I’m now using it as a pillow case), makes it all worth it to know that people at home support us and appreciate our sacrifice, it really means a lot to all of us here and makes the separation from home that little bit easier.
Many thanks for your effort Lynn and that of Keryn’s and Jan Maree and the Hero Quilt organisation, it is a great initiative and a wonderful service that is provided for of us here.
I have just returned from my Rest Out of Country Leave, where I got to spend nearly 2 weeks back home with my family. When I got back to the deployment, it was fantastic to find your quilt waiting for me; it was a nice surprise to return to. I chose to email you instead of writing a letter, as with the delays in the mail over here I wanted to let you know as soon as I could that I had received your quilt, as I reckon that it would have been another few of weeks had I sent you a letter you. Additionally, I also wanted to send you a picture of it in place.
So thanks again Lynn, it truly is an amazing quilt and its arrival is quite timely, as although the days over here are still quite warm, the nights are getting cool - a sign that it won’t be long before it starts getting pretty chilly, as winter sets in.
Once again thank you for the quilt, it is really appreciated.
All the best, 
.....


Hi Sharon,

Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for my beautiful laundry bag and very thoughtful card, I cried my eyes out when I read it.

I really enjoyed reading your story about how you came to volunteering with Aussie Heros, thank you for taking to time to support and thank those who are serving our country.

I’m thrilled to be part of the Invictus Games Public Affairs team.  It has been so rewarding sharing the competitors stories and I’m looking forward to sharing the events with the world as they unfold. They are already winners in my eyes!

Please know that I’m already using your gift regularly and will continue on my deployment in Feb 2020.

Many blessing to you and your family.

You should be really proud knowing your time and creativity filled my heart with pride and absolute joy.

Have a lovely weekend
.....

For Clarissa

What a wonderful surprise it was when I opened my parcel to find such beautiful pieces, the quilt and laundry bag.


The time and workmanship is heart warming and wonderful with a fair amount of yourself in each stitch you sew. In looking at the design it is truly unique having the centre piece the rising sun with the rowing emblem as well, depicting my sport. The Aboriginal design is very close to home as my partner is from Victorian tribe, Yorta Yorta,  with the vibrant colours gives this bag an uplifting feeling. 

In times past mothers and daughters would sit and hand sew keeping the family unit with a strong base for which we, as a society, seem to have lost, but knowing what you ladies do and having your daughter helping in this is truly wonderful keeping that bond we need. 

When Jan-Maree addressed us at a training camp in Sydney telling your story and advising us of what you wonderful people are doing for us brought a warm and enlightening feeling across the whole team as if to say we are here for you and you are not forgotten. These quilts and laundry bags mean more to a lot of people, in a quiet and very personal way.
In closing again thank you to you, your daughter and those band of wonderful people who spend so much time in making the men and women for our defence force feel a little bit of home is never more than an arm length away  for your selfless efforts and time. 
Yours in Invictus
.....

Hi Tamsin,
I love the washing bag and of course the other goodies.
A little about myself I have been in the Army for 25 years, I have been in 3 different Corps within the Army: Infantry Armoured Corps Transport
This is my 4 deployment overseas. 
Many thanks
...... 



Hello Ruth

Just letting you know I have received my Essendon Bombers Laundry Bag yesterday. And I'm so in love with it you did an amazing job and its put a massive smile on my face, this is my sixth deployment and my first ever experience with Aussie hero quilts and I can honestly say getting a personalised laundry bag and a package from someone whom I've never met is a humbling experience.

You are a beautiful person to take time out of your day and do this for me, and I and all the serviceman over here would like to say thankyou.

Thanks again.
....

Good Afternoon Jean

Thank you so much for the Laundry bag, its lovely! It looks just like the things my grandma used to make. When you see the other ladies from the Sewing club in Coffs Harbour tell them thank you from the Aussie team in XXXXX
.....

Good Afternoon Sandy

Thank you for the Quilt it looks incredible! Please give my thanks to Jean, Di and Lynne for their input into the quilt as well. It reminds me of the things my Grandma used to make. Please say hello and thank you to all of the ladies at the teaching studio for myself and all the Aussies here in XXXX.

Kind regards
.....

Hello Ellen,

Please accept these very small gifts as a token of my appreciation for your kindness in making my quilt.
It keeps my otherwise stark room feeling that bit more homely and boosts my morale on a daily basis.

Thank you so, so very much!
.......

Hi Sheena,

Thank you so much for making the quilt and laundry bag, It is absolutely fantastic! The detail that you have put into it is amazing, I'm lost for words.

Everyone here thanks you all for making quilts for us all!

Thank you for your time you absolute Aussie legends!!!


Cheers,

.....

What a great bunch of thank you messages. 
Till next time... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

Jan-Maree  xx

1 comment: