Tuesday 6 September 2016

Grati-Tuesday 6 August 16

Greetings on a gorgeous sunny Sydney day. 
Loving the fact that I can actually see out of my office these days! 
Hope you enjoy these messages as much as I am enjoying this lovely sunshine.
.....

Dear Deb and Grace,
I waited until today to send you a reply as I received my quilt last week but your letter said there were 3 parcels. I received that third parcel today with the scarf and other goodies. I am absolutely delighted with my "haul". You both are incredibly kind and thoughtful.
I adore leopard print stuff. The quilt is so unusual with the fluffy backing that hundreds of people have commented.
I have positioned my quilt on my office couch just to show off and everyone who comes through the door comments on how amazing it is. I had several members of a team associated with the War memorial come through here and the photographer took lots of photos of my quilt. So stand by to see your quilt in an article on the War memorial. They were angling to get people to donate their quilts to the War memorial but I certainly want to keep mine with me.
I am so excited about my shower cap and all the other little goodies in your parcel. Tim Tams and all the other yummies!!!
I can't thank you enough for all of your efforts. It is so appreciated.
My job here is busy and 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week so having lovely surprises in the mail just makes the time fly by.
Please keep quilting. You are both MY heroes.
Regards



.....

Good Evening Sue,

I am currently deployed on Operation Accordion in the Middle East Region. I have only been here for about 6 weeks and it has been very hot most of the time. It generally reaches at least 48 during the day with a fair amount of humidity as well, it is around 35 overnight. Haven't had a 'cold' shower yet as even the cold water is probably about 28-30 degrees.

I have recently received 2 boxes of laundry bags which you have kindly mailed over for distribution to deployed personnel. I have kept one of the bags for myself (grey/black geometric design) and just wanted to let you know that the items all the people from Aussie Hero Quilts provide are appreciated by all personnel over here. They certainly add a lot of colour and patterns in some fairly plain, undecorated rooms.

I have previously deployed to this region for 2 months in 2006 and to East Timor for 6.5 months in 2008 and there was nothing like the quilts and laundry bags your "Crafty Group" provide on the previous deployments. The efforts of all the ladies in producing these items is fantastic and little treats such as the puzzles and mini Tim-Tams you sent with your packages put a smile on everyone's faces.

Thank you very much for your support and fantastic products. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and get to spend some time with your extended family.

Kindest Regards
.....



Dear Pennie,

I have just received your wonderful handmade gift of a laundry bag.
I also enjoyed reading the personalised letter.
Let me just say that people like YOU are the reason I choose to spend time away from my family and my country, in service of the nation.
Your selfless hard work and contribution to the community in both your fantastic sewing and also your time as an Emergency Nurse are an inspiration.
As long as there are people like you in Australia to defend, I will continue to do my utmost both at home and abroad to uphold that.
Please continue to be the amazing individual that you are, as your efforts are truly appreciated by more than you know.

Keep safe and well with my fondest regards,
.....

Dear Clarissa,

Just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your hard work and generosity in taking the time and effort in creating this wonderful gift i received today.

In my time serving and over many deployments i have never had a random act of kindness shown towards me, and it really means a lot, it really made my day and helped like you wouldn't believe.

I hope you're well back home and enjoying time with your grandson, hopefully Sydney is
warming up it was freezing when i left!

Sorry for the short email but we are flat out and its the best i could do at the moment, take care and once again thank you so very much.

Sincerely,
.....

Good afternoon Sue, and a big greetings from the Middle East!

I was lucky enough to have you create my magnificent quilt I recently received.

A bit of background - I am a serving member of the Royal Australian Air Force and just clicked over 26 years in the ADF. This is my second deployment and I am nearing the end of my time in country. I am obviously very much looking forward to getting home to my loving wife and my 2 children (13 and 11 respectively).  The family loves to travel and needless to say, when I return we will be packing all the gear (along with our Labrador)  and headed to a shady river somewhere between Newcastle and Brisbane. It will be in stark contrast to here where I haven't seen a blue sky in over 5 months (for the dust and sandstorms) and our daily temperature often exceeds 50 degrees centigrade. To be by a campfire with beautiful green eucalypts and a magpie warbling in the background will be just what the doctor ordered.

The support AHQ provides cannot be understated. It's a real treat to get the quilts and laundry bags and helps us carry on through long deployments knowing we are thought of back home (besides our families!). I'm not sure if you are aware of the design you created, but it's based on my family and this deployment. The South Australian flag represented where I was born. The NSW flag represents my wife and son. Finally the NT is where my daughter was born. The UAE is where I am stationed and of course I am extremely proud to be Australian... :-) I was showing the family your quilt on Skype the other day and they just thought it was the bees knees. I feel very humble to receive such a personalised gift. I truly do.

Please continue the wonderful work you all do. At times we feel quite isolated while serving overseas so getting a package from Oz really makes our day/week/month.

I really can't thank you enough. Your gift will be treasured for many years to come!
 
......

Good afternoon Jan-Maree, how are you?
I am writing on behalf of HMAS GLENELG, in appreciation of the beautiful Laundry Bags that have been sent to Darwin to support the Sailors and Officers that are currently deployed on Operation RESOLUTE.
The Chaplain kindly brought them down to the Ship this morning and they went very quickly! I had a few sailors say that it was really nice to receive something in appreciation for the hard work they do, working on Patrol Boats.
GLENELG has spent most of the year deployed on Operation RESOLUTE.   GLENELG has been lucky enough to be chosen to represent Australia on exercises near Brunei and the Philippines later this year, which we are all very excited about. It certainly makes a nice change.
Once again, a big THANKYOU from HMAS GLENELG. 
Enjoy the rest of your day.
.....

Dear Kaye,

Your package has recently arrived to me on HMAS Perth and I was so touched by thoughtfulness of the quilt and other goodies that you have gifted to me.  You may never understand how such an act of kindness from a complete stranger can be so emotionally stirring, especially after long months away from home and loved ones.

Thank you again for your lovely stitchwork and the many wonderful gifts you have given me.

All the best,
....

Dear Donna and Chris,

I received three fantastic packages in the mail yesterday.  I opened the package to discover the most wonderful gifts; coffee, biscuits, tea, Minties, Toronto Maple Leafs t-shirts, Jerseys and a hat, and finally my absolutely amazing Maple Leafs Quilt!!!   All have arrived intact and the quilt is an absolute wonder to behold and will become a family heirloom that I will pass on to my son when he comes of age.  I will be sure to send you photos in the next few days.

I cannot express how excited I was by it.  Having spent the first 30 years of my life in Canada, the past 9 years of my life in Australia have been fantastic and the people, climate and lifestyle that are now part of my life I could never be without again.  However, I will always have links to my country of birth, and one of the strongest links will always be my love of Ice Hockey and the Toronto Maple Leafs in particular.  Despite the fact that they last won a championship in '67, 10 years before I was born, my blood has run Blue and White my entire life, passed on to me from my own father who is also a die-hard Leafs fan.  Feeding my Leafs passion in Australia, however, can be difficult, even in the Information Age.  To receive such lovely gifts that provide me with such a constant reminder of this passion fills me with a sense of joyous nostaligia that is difficult to put into words.

I was especially pleased to learn that you live very near to where I have made my home in this Great Southern Land; my wife and my two children age 5 and 7 months live in Bulli, in Wollongong's northern suburbs.  

I sincerely hope the cold and wet NSW winter has not been too difficult to endure.  I would gladly trade with you at the moment, as we are currently sweltering in the 45 degree Arabian summer heat and humidity.  May we both meet in better climes in the near future.

My deepest thanks,
......

Tanya.
I just received your quilt yesterday and all i can say is WOW. Thank you so very much for honouring me with such a wonderful item.

Thanks also to the insight to your background. I will let you know a bit about myself.

I am 42 married with 3 kids 9,12 and 14. My wife is currently in her 3rd and last year of a Nursing Degree.
   6 months of me away with her doing practical outplacement makes her 1 strong woman.  In finishing I sincerely thank you for going to such an effort for me with the quilt. it is already on my rack onboard.


.....

Till next time....................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!
Jan-Maree xx



5 comments:

  1. What beautiful heartfelt thankyou's...Some very excited and grateful personnel, love the pics....excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see the photos, wonderful thanks letters.

    ReplyDelete