Thursday 2 June 2016

A message from Sophie H ........

Hello all,

I would like to share a conversation with you that I had today. Firstly, a bit of context.... Dr D is a Naval reservist who does some locum medical work at our local hospital and has done for many years. I worked at the same hospital so that is how I know him.

I was at my local coffee shop this morning and he was there, so thought I would say hello.
After the initial pleasantries, he asked what I was doing. So I told him that I was part of Aussie Hero Quilts and that I made quilts and laundry bags for our deployed people.

His face lit up and he smiled, thanked me and shook my hand, as he knew exactly what I was talking about! He said that he couldn't begin to express how important and how meaningful what we do is to our recipients. His exact words were “you have no idea...!”

Dr D added something that I had not thought of. Our people must adapt to and fit in with the local cultures. They do it without complaint and then get on with their jobs. The quilts and laundry bags we send, not only remind them of home specifically (as per their personal requests) but also reminds them of, and connects them to, the Australian culture in general, from which they are so far away. And personally, I always send goodies that are iconically Australian, just to add to that sense of 'something from home'.

I would also like to add another little story. My neighbours have a daughter, G, and son-in-law, F, both in the Army. He is an ex-commando. I had a conversation with G and told her that I was an AHQer. She got excited and told me that F was a recipient and how important his quilt was to him. 

The main point of this whole story is that even though we may never hear personally from our recipients, WHAT WE DO MATTERS AND IS IMPORTANT AND APPRECIATED. And as a quilter, even though F was not my recipient, I felt very privileged to be thanked for his quilt.  So to his quilter – a big thank you!

I know that Jan-Maree is always saying this to us, but thought I would share my personal experience with all you quilters out there.

Cheers

Sophie H

Thanks Sophie... here are a couple of Sophie's quilts and bags...





Till next time..... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!!

Jan-Maree  xx

3 comments: