Thursday 18 July 2013

Thankful Thursdays


If you know the history of Aussie Heroes then you know that I started, with the help of my quilt group, by sending 15 laundry bags and 25 quilts to one particular Warrant Officer in the Army in Tarin Kowt back in October 2011. Well, today is his birthday.  As I said on the phone this morning, I hope you have a wonderful birthday.  I know your gorgeous wife and children will spoil you rotten and shower you with love and blessings and noone deserves them more!

:-)

Don't forget  I will be away this weekend - if you are REALLY good I just may publish a photo of my 80's costume but only if I am totally unrecognisable and only if my hosts, Angela and Amy, join me for the picture.  Photos aside please bear with me if it takes me a bit longer to answer emails etc.

Next Sewing Day at my home will be this Tuesday the 22nd.  10- 3pm   BYO sewing machine and lunch.  I will provide all materials.  We will probably be turning BOMs into quilt tops and I have a few other things planned.  These sewing days are INVALUABLE as there is only so much that I can do on my own.  I hope to hold these days regularly now, every second week, but will vary the days across the week so that everyone gets a chance to come as there does not appear to be one day that everyone can make it. That is okay - Variety is the Spice of Life!  LOL  If you would like to come this Tuesday just email me or PM me on Facebook for the address.

Please make sure any photos for tomorrow night's Weekly Despatches post are in tonight or they will have to wait till next week as I will be writing the post tonight and it will launch automatically.....I hope.

I have been putting up the Thank You messages on Tuesdays and Sundays but I am going to change that slightly.  We will now have Cherry Sundays........so the requests that are the "pretty pleases with the cherries on top" will now be Sunday night's reading and Tuesdays and Thursdays will now be Grati-Tuesday (no change there) and Thankful Thursday.

So, now on with the Thankful part of this post.....

Good Afternoon Sue N,
I would like to thank you for the lovely laundry bag  and the cardboard piece that you made. A parcel was received in my office and I was lucky enough to pick out your laundry bag.
I'm based in the UAE (United Arab Emirates) for the next 6 months, gifts such as yours makes a difference especially when I'm away from my wife and 9 month old son.
The time and effort you made is much appreciated.
Regards,



Georgia is a young girl just 9 years old who made her first quilt so it could be sent to a soldier.  



Jan-Maree and Stephanie,
Please find attached a couple of photo's of Georgia's terrific quilt.  Everyone comments on this when they see it and it does a good job of sparkling up the room.
Thanks again for your support.





Dear Liz J
Hi,  I am a Warrant Officer in the Army, and am currently deployed to Afghanistan.   
So....I came into work this morning at about 0610h to find a package on my desk, upon opening it I found my beautiful laundry bag and other goodies.  Thank you so much for making this, I shall ensure I look after it.  I am sure when I get home later in the year, my daughter (5) will try to claim it as her own, as she loves anything with the Aussie Flag on it. 
Well Liz, I must dash off and do some work,  thank you so much for the gift, it really does mean so much having thing come from home,  especially when so much effort has gone into it. I hope this finds you and Errol well. 
Thanks again 



Dear Liz J,

Thank you very much for the laundry bag, book mark and lollies.
It's such a coincidence I was talking with one of my mates here the other day and we were saying how we needed more than one laundry bag here.
It's lovely and warm here tops of about 36 and never bellow 27, the wind and dust get hard to handle with massive dust storms coming out of no where and its just my luck I'm always out side.
Thank you again for the package it is much appreciated.
Kind regards, 


Good morning Evelyn, 
I am terribly sorry this email has taken me so long to write as you can imagine we have been so busy up here I don't have much time for anything. 
I would just like to say a massive thank you for my beautiful quilt and the lovely card. It made my day, receiving things like this when we are away really makes a difference and our living space is always very cold so a rug comes in handy. 
The Aussie Hero Quilt organisation is a fantastic idea and everyone that has received them so far has absolutely loved them. 
I loved the colours and the gorgeous print. I will treasure my rug and it will be a memento for my time served up in the middle east.
I cant thank you and Cheryl enough.



Hello Sue N,

I am writing to sincerely thank you for your lovely laundry bag. I actually didn't have one at all until I got yours so it was a definite boost to my morale. I have the blue and moroon striped one.  It is always wonderful to receive goodies from home. We all appreciate it very much so many thanks again.

Yours sincerely,


Hi Fran, I am just writing to say thanks for the laundry bag.
It's good to have a laundry bag that isn't identical to the 59 others in my mess (gets rather confusing)

Dear Fran,

thank you for your beautiful laundry bag, I much appreciate it. 
I opened it up in front of everyone in the office and as they are not broncos fans they all had a few laughs.

Fran,
        i just wanted to thank you for the laundry bag you have made for me, i love it, i can see it giving me many years of service, just to tell you a little bit about myself, i have been in the Navy for 25 years this month, and this is the fourth time i have been operationally deployed.

Fran,

i would just like to thank you very much for the laundry bag that you have made for me i really appreciate the effort that was put into it with sewing my AFL teams logo on and the quality of your work.  thankyou very much to be honest I dont think I want to use it to put dirty laundry in its that good :)
Thankyou.

 Hi Fran,

Just a quick email to say thank you very much for laundry bag you made up for me. I have put it to good use already. It seems a shame to put my rather dirty clothes in a nice bag but it is doing the job well!

Our chaplain has been doing a fantastic job organising and coordinating everyone's quilt or bag. A difficult job with nearly 230 people on board.

Thankyou also for the kind words in your note, it is great to know that there are kind and wonderful people like you back home who give up there time to support a great organisation like Aussie Hero Quilts.

Dear Jan-Maree
I just received my quilt and laundry bag yesterday, which made my day as it turns out I needed a new laundry bag so when i received it I was very happy. Thanks again for your support it's is much appreciated from myself as well as the personnel on board Newcastle.
All the Best!




This fellow requested a quilt and a laundry bag and said his favourite colours were red and black.  I love the laundry bag that Su made him and she sent him off a letter that said she would be happy to also make his quilt if he liked.  



Hello Su,
Thank you for the Laundry Bay. I quite like the spider on the bag as well.
I would also be happy for a quilt to match, if possible.
Again thank you very much for the Laundry Bag.
Regards,


Hello Sue N,
I am writing to you from Kandahar, Afghanistan. The other day I received a laundry bay that you made. I would like to thank you for your efforts and thoughts.
Once again thank you for your efforts, many soldiers are appreciative.

Regards

I am off to pack my suitcase.
Till next time...................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!  JMxx

2 comments:

  1. Another fabulous post! Great letters to read, Su, your redback spider is simply delicious! Great job Fran! and to Georgia, An awesome job! I hope you enjoyed the process. To Jan-Maree, Yes we MUST see the 80's costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea that red back was, and so good that he liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt one day.
    Yes, Jan-Maree - lets have photos of your costume. I'd love to see what you came up with. As I was a teenager in the '60s I naturally think that was the best time for fashion and music. By the '80s I was flat out with kids starting school and my work and sadly divorce, so can't even remember what people wore except that track suits and velcro started then.

    ReplyDelete