Thursday 29 November 2012

Friend of the Day November 29

AAGGGAHAHAHH!!!!!!
Nope!  Yelling didn't make me feel any better at all!  Time to just push on!  
Thanks so much Bigpond for wasting over five hours of my time in the last 24 sitting on the telephone trying to find out why my Bigpond emails are not getting through!  
So annoying!  
For every one concerned: PLEASE USE ONLY THE FOLLOWING EMAIL ADDRESS TO CONTACT ME

friendsofAHQ@gmail.com

Until further notice. 

If you think you know someone who has requested a quilt in the last 24-48 hours, please let them know to resend to the above email address.

On a more pleasant and much more reliable note...
This week's Friend of the Day is Michele, who makes those wonderful quilts, some with the Dorothy McKellar poem "My Country" on them.

Over to you Michele


Who are you and where do you live – if not in a house in suburbia please share some more info – farm etc. 
My name is Michele (yes, it spelt with one ‘l’, the bane of my life) and I live in Geelong with my husband. A few years ago we downsized as our tribe (4 children) had all finally moved out. My only requirement was a dedicated sewing room so I now have a 42 m2  lined &  airconditioned  studio (tin shed) that is all mine. Never again packing up to use the dining table or crawling around the living room floor pinning a quilt together. Life is good.

What is your occupation
I take care of the accounts and finance for my husband’s business. This usually involves one day a week in the office so I now have my granddaughter one day a week as well.


Quilting
I have been making stuff for as long as I can remember. I was in my 20s before I realized not everyone knew how to sew, knit, crochet and embroider. All the women in my family did.
I am very lucky in Geelong as there are three quilting shops, an independent fabric shop, Spotlight and Lincraft. I am 15 minutes from the farther-est  Whenever we go on holidays my husband puts quilting shop visits into the itinerary. He is very supportive of my fabric addiction.

How long have you been sewing for AHQ
Hmmm…. I think it was in March. A friend on Facebook shared an article from AHQ and I thought this was right up my alley. I have made 8 quilts and assorted laundry bags since then. I try to incorporate the poem My Country in my quilts now. It is a powerful poem with a strong sense of home.




Do you have any connection to the services
No, but I was raised to respect those who are willing to do these necessary jobs.

Why do you sew for AHQ
LOVE to sew and if I can brighten someone’s day and make them feel appreciated by making a quilt then a single action has a multiple effect and everyone has a smile in their heart.


Here are a few of Michele's other AH Quilts. I think she was far too modest.




Finally, a lovely thank you letter that was sent via snail mail and another short but very sweet message.

Dear Marg,
Thank you for the quilt, it has come in very handy and is greatly appreciated.  Thank you for the thoughts and packages that you and the other ladies provide.  I know that they are greatly appreciated by all that receive them.

The quilt will come in handy for any other deployments or trips away.  The only problem will be convincing my two little girls to let me use it.  I showed  them a picture when I was on my two week R&R and they said for me  to send it home for them.


For Nancy

Today XXXX and I (XXXX) received our packages from you. Thank you so much! We love them and we have shown just about everybody in our work place :-)
 Love your work and dedication. A huge thank you to you and your helpers.
Merry Christmas x

FINAL WORD - as I am so far behind on answering everyone's emails and there are three important laundry bags to be sewn tomorrow night's post will feature the minimum of words
unless I can convince Naomi into writing the text for me if she has time......

And remember photos to be included in the blog tomorrow need to be in tonight 
by 9pm please coz I need some sleep!  LOL

Till next time...........keep spreading the word and happy stitching!


2 comments:

  1. Lovely to meet you Michele, your work is stunning, I hope Bigpond has good news for you soon and your e-mails come through ok. Great work as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to meet you Michele - your quilts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete