Thursday 8 November 2012

Friend of the Day 8 November



My name is Sue N and I live in Mill Park, a suburb in Victoria. I am an avid supporter of Aussie Hero Quilts.  Whilst I am not a quilt maker (yet!) I do love making things and sewing. This first picture is all the things I made to go under the K Mart Wishing Tree last year. over 100 toys 


This year I wanted to do more charity stuff and I came across AHQ Via a google search in mid January, This I felt was right up my alley so to speak. I am 50 years young and a home maker, a wife and a mother of 3 adult kids and 2 cats.
Tilli
Meggie

I spend my time looking out for fabrics from my local op shop (Savers Mill Park) a half an hour walk from my house,  I look for fabric, sheets and doona covers, I have even found lovely tab curtains to use for the quilting supplies. I love the thought of my money helping out many charities at the same time and in this way my money is working twice as hard. I also buy my yarn for my charity knits from here too. 



My favourite store is Spotlight for the things I need.   My nearest is in South Morang and 1 1/2 hour away by foot and the people there are so friendly.  I always do show and tell they love seeing what I am up too and I count them as my friends.

I cut up fabric to order, and send it all over the country to individuals and quilting groups to be turned into quilts and Laundry bags.


I am currently making blocks and still looking for fabrics to send.  I am really happy in how I am contributing.  Who knows, I may one day have confidence to put colours together and make some quilts and laundry bags.

I do not have any connection with the services, I just know that they are the most extra ordinary folk who do a very hard job being away from home family and friends for long periods of time and under conditions which are not the best and this is a way to show them how much we care.

Last year I was very heavily involved with the school play,  making 70% of the props and 90% of all the costumes, It was the biggest and most thrilling thing ever.
This year I have been fortunate to play with the school again when they asked me to make some very special fantasy chairs. This one is for the school library It was a shell of a chair when I started, it is now re upholstered and covered with story telling characters.

To sum it all up, My favourite things to do is to make for others so this is why I am such an avid supporter of Aussie Hero Quilts and Laundry bags.
I have a blog that I use to keep my family and friends up to date with what I am up to. Feel free to take a look.

Sue N

Thanks for sharing Sue and do check out her blog.  Her chair for the library is just AWESOME!

I have received a couple of lovely messages to share too - 


Dear Jan-Maree, I would personnel like to thank you for such a well crafted and magnificently hand crafted Laundry Bag that I recently received from XXXXX(my Kandahar Liason Officer). 

It is a wonderful thing that you and all involved are doing for the serving members of the ADF. 

Yours sincerely 

Pauline made the laundry bags refereed to below and I have passed this message on to her.


Good Morning Jan-Maree,

All of the boys would like to say a massive thankyou to all the ladies that sent love over in their packages... XXX's and XXX,s and XXXXX's and XXXX's laundry bags are wonderful! 

It was like Xmas! 
A few more orders from over here will be arriving from over here... we did a little show of the quilts and laundry bag... they loved them! 
we were overwhelmed with the kindness from these ladies. Thank you so much! 
Can't wait to see what ours are like! :) 
Hope you have a wonderful day!   



Naomi received another lovely letter from those in Egypt.



Dear Naomi,
Thank you very much for the quilt, laundry bag, numerous smaller items and the letters of support. I would appreciate your passing on my thanks to the many men and women who have volunteered their time and resources to support this activity.
My name is XXXXy and I have been deployed on five operational deployments within the Middle East and Asia. Receiving you generous contributions and letters of support will always make these tours of duty worthwhile. I am a proud soldier and you have reminded me of the enormous pride I have in Australia, my family and other supporters of the Australian Defence Force.
Kind Regards

Okay - this is the Honour Roll for tonight - the list of ladies (and Paul) who either HAVE or MIGHT be sending off a quilt(s) or laundry bag(s) this week.
Chris
Claire
Deborah C
Deborah S (& the FHF)
Diane
Fran T
Judith
Judi D
Judy C
Karen B
Kaye
Kerryn
Kirsten
Kitty
Kristie
Kylie
Liz B
Maddy
Maria
Melissa
Nancy
Naomi
Pam M
Paula and Paul
Peggy
Rae
Ruth 
Stephanie
Sue & Aileen
Tarnyia
Terry
Tess
Wendy

If you are on the list and your item won't make it in the mail by Friday night please let me know.

If you are NOT on the list and your item will be in the mail by Friday night please let me know!

SO MANY quilts on the list for this week that this is the easiest way for me to make sure i have them all straight.  And when you email me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me the name of your recipient(s).  That makes life SO MUCH EASIER!

THANK YOU 


Till next time.........keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing such a great job on my info, I am busy getting fabrics together and have a large box of goodies i am sending to Naomi on Monday. What a wonderful list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to meet you sue. I am glad that people are happy to share their stories with us. It makes it feel like we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to meet you Sue. What an awesome job you do for all the community, including AHQ. The chair is amazing.

    ReplyDelete