Sunday 16 September 2012

Sunday in Penrith

Super quick post tonight I am sorry. Just got home from Penrith.  Only three of us were there for the sewing day - it is just getting to a busy part of the year I think, and also people are going on holidays or they're working on weekends.  Still, Carolyn and Pam joined me.  Carolyn was generous enough to donate a roll of calico which will be just wonderful for making laundry bag linings!  Thanks so much Carolyn.

The girls sewed more BOM blocks while I started trimming the big pile of ones that I have received.  I also spent a fair bit of time talking to people about what we do.  

One lovely lady, and I have just realized that I didn't even get her name! - donated this great fabric that she went and bought for us as she wanted to contribute something but doesn't have time to sew.




Another lady called Adelaide, who was there the very first time we met at Penrith Patchwork, had left a present for us.  She does painting on fabric and she painted a gorgeous spray of Warratahs for us to use.  This is special and I am hoping to make it into a wall hanging that the guys and girls over there can enjoy on a permanent basis.




Two ladies called Jan and Diane turned up to say hello and find out more.  They are now inspired and are planning a sewing day.  I have spoken to Jan before and it is always lovely meet other Aussie Hero ladies.  Another Aussie Hero lady, Wendy, who I have emailed in the past dropped in today with her cute little daughter, Rosie.  
 It is just so good to meet in person for a change!

While I was there I bought the fabric for the backing of TA's quilt (the wife of our Fallen Warrior SGT Diddams).  Jeff, the ever generous owner of Penrith Patchwork gave it to me at an extra discount once he know what it was for.  I also managed to buy the perfect binding for it too.  I will be parceling up all the blocks and the backings and sending them off to the relevant quilters in the first weekend of the holidays.   It will take me a bit to get the backs pieced and so on.

In other news....

This gorgeous thank you came in for Sue S for the lovely quilt and laundry bag she sent off.

Just wanted to thank you so much for the quilt and laundry bag you sent me. They are awesome and are something I can honestly say I will keep with me for a long time. Even better now I have somewhere to put my dirty clothes rather then just on the floor of my room :)

It really means a lot that you take the time out of your day to send a little something here and I really appreciate it!! You're legends!  


And here is a quilter's dream!!!!!  Seriously!   What quilter would not like a lovely young man to help pin her quilts!  This is Jill's son- her entire family is along for the Aussie Hero ride and this proud Mumma had to share a pic of her son doing his bit to help get quilts ready - and if I am not mistaken he drove 104km round trip to get the border fabric for the quilt as well!  


Oh please!  Can I borrow him?


And this is his Mum - who I have taken to calling "Bernina" 
as she is a veritable sewing machine!


Got to run - loads to do.

Till next time...............keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

4 comments:

  1. We're going to have to start up a separate group perhaps....GQ's of Aussie Heroes....Guy Quilters that is lol. How fantastic of your lad to do that Jill (aka Bernina) not only doing all the 'bending' to baste and pin, but tearing off with his superhero cape on and picking up the border fabric.

    I love the painted Waratahs...well done Adelaide (that was my Nanna's name too...a very Sth Aussie name!), they are going to make a smashing Australiana wall hanging.

    Thanks to all those who made a donation of fabric as well.

    Ok, back to my quilting now.

    Hugs
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful to meet you and have a catch up.

    ReplyDelete