Tuesday 8 August 2023

Grati-Tuesday 8th Aug 2023

 

Happy Tuesday Friends!

There seems to be a wonderful theme of appreciation of the relationship between the team of volunteers at Aussie Hero Quilts and the ADF. I myself, find this to be so rewarding, as do all the recipients who have written in to say thank you this week. 

Grab a cuppa, sit back and enjoy some well deserved gratitude!

...
Dear Gail,

My sincere thanks for the wonderful quilt that you have made me, it is hanging proudly in my house and is a great reflection on the large number of places I have seen in my 30+ years in the Australian Army.

My mother was a 10-pound tourist from Scotland and my father from a farming community in the mid north of South Australia. On my father’s side my great grandfather served on the Western Front in 1918 and in the north of Australia in WW2, while my grandfather served in New Guinea and was a RAAF pilot in the Pacific. When I joined the Australian Defence Force Academy in the early 90s – I really had no idea what I wanted to do, however I eventually found my way.

I originally hail from a place in South Australia, however my journey in Defence has taken me all over both Australia and the World. My wife and our 3 daughters (15, 12 and 11) certainly keep us busy, although they are at least old enough to really appreciate an overseas posting– as last time we were here they were quite young.

Like you, we really enjoy travelling – and will do our best to see all as much as we can while we are based here for the next couple of years. I get to do a lot of travel with my job – in fact I am writing this letter as I fly back home.

I just wanted to let you know that I am highly appreciative of your wonderful quilt and that it means a lot to me to have a representation of my career in defence over the past 30 years. It hangs proudly in my office, and I love to look at it and reflect on the places I have been during my career.

Yours Sincerely,

...

The following 2 letters are from the same happy recipient for both his quilt and laundry bag pictured below

Morning Pennie T,

 

I am emailing to inform you I have received your quilt!


I am very grateful you took the time to make this quilt for me. It is absolutely beautiful.

I have attached a photo of me holding the quilt.

 

I really enjoyed reading your letter about how you made the quilt – was not expecting that and it definitely put a massive smile on my face! You absolutely nailed this quilt - I promise to look after it for  the years to come. Thank you for what you do for soldiers.

 

Regards,

...

Hi Cath H,


I am emailing to let you know I have received my laundry bag!

I am incredibly grateful that you made this one-off design for me and took the time to type out a letter.
I have to tell you I could not wipe the smile off my face – you nailed it. I have attached a photo with the laundry bag. 

I really enjoyed reading your letter, I must say Hope looks like a spoilt K9 ! Thank you very much for this gift – I promise to look after it for the years to come.

 

Regards,


...

Dear Gail M and the team at Aussie Hero Quilts,

 

I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful work you do with this endeavour. It means a lot to a soldier of over 30 years to have a wonderful quilt that I can look at and reflect on the good times and bad over my career – and I just wanted to thank you personally.

 

Keep up the great work!

 

Yours Sincerely,

...

Dear Anne H,

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to take the time to reply and express my heartfelt gratitude for the lovely letter and the exquisite sewn laundry bag adorned with those charming birds. Your thoughtful gesture truly brightened our day, and I must say, it was a delightful surprise to receive it all the way from Tasmania to Darwin.

My 2-year-old daughter has taken an immediate liking to the bag and has claimed it as her special possession. She is absolutely captivated by the birds, and it's even more special that her initials match mine.

I couldn't resist a hearty chuckle at the glaring contrast in temperatures between our two locations during this time of the year. While you're probably relishing the delightful coziness in front of a crackling fire in Tasmania, we here in Darwin are enduring the full brunt of July's relentless and fiery heat. It's like being in two different weather worlds all together!

Your gift has added a touch of Tasmanian charm to our tropical paradise, and we are truly grateful for it.

I am heartened to know that we both share a passion for bird watching and have a profound appreciation for the splendor of these feathery creatures. It's remarkable how this common interest connects people across different parts of our vast country.

Anyhow, I must commend your volunteer work, especially for Aussie Heroes. Your dedication and efforts in bringing joy to our Australian Defence Force members are truly admirable. It's heartwarming to see individuals like you going above and beyond to make a positive impact on the lives of others.

Once again, thank you for your kindness and the warmth you've brought to our lives with your thoughtful gift. Sending you all the best from the steamy Top End, and I hope you continue to enjoy cozy evenings with your beloved birds in chilly Tasmania.

With WARM regards,

...

Hi Anne H,

I just received the amazing quilt you made today! I’m a huge fan it has met all my requirements I love it.

This is my first deployment with the Army so it’s great to have something to remind me of home. This will definitely keep me warm whilst at sea!
Thank you so much I really appreciate the quilt!

Warmest regards,

...

Hello Jan-Maree,

 

I am writing to thank you for the laundry bag that I received from you organisation tonight. It was a pleasant surprise and the morale of the team here was definitely boosted whilst we sorted through the different laundry bags and discussed why certain designs appealed to us.

 

I am currently in PNG, I have already been away on various operational tasking’s exceeding 6 months duration in total this year. We also deployed to Broome WA at the beginning of the year to support the communities in Fitzroy Crossing and Derby post the flooding events that resulted from cyclone Ellie. I tell you this because the time we spend away from home can be challenging at times and when we receive support from organisations like yours, with a token of appreciation, it really goes a long way and reminds us of the culture and freedoms we are lucky to enjoy as Australians.

 

Thank you very much , the laundry bag will be put to good use!!!

 

Regards,

...

Good Afternoon Bridget R,

 

Firstly I’d like to say thank you so much for your time and effort in making my lovely quilt! I am an avid Colorado Avalanche ice-hockey team supporter and this has been the perfect addition to my setup on my ship for it to feel more homely for myself.

 

I have been in the Navy now for seven years. Hopefully I have a few more years left in me before I decide to move on to another challenge in life! I love the two dog choices, I myself am in the stage of finding and adopting a Golden Retriever to add to my family as well! You have an amazing hobby and we really appreciate what all you do for us.

 

I wish you and your family good health and the best of luck for the rest of this year,

 

Many thanks,

...

Dear Sonia J,

I am was delighted to receive the Aussie Hero quilts Laundry Bag that arrived in Papua New Guinea(PNG) recently.

This is my third overseas deployment and never requested Aussie hero quilts to have anything made. I just did not feel that I deserved it.

Your generosity has not gone unnoticed, my team and myself appreciate the thoughtfulness behind your handiwork. As a mark of gratitude, I wish to extend my sincere thanks for the wonderful gesture and time you take to make these.

Your gift is not only extremely useful but also memorable, and I am grateful for your dedication and kindness. It speaks volumes about the depth of the relationship between the team of Aussie Hero Quilts and the ADF.

Once again, thank you for the laundry bag (My Sergeant Major selected this one for me as he says I am a bit of a Nerd. It has the Microscopes on it).

Regards,

...

Dear Cath H,

 

Oh WOW! Today I received the quilt you lovingly created (plus the goodies you put in the box, I am chewing on the red frogs as I type this!).

 

You created the perfect design for me and I can confirm that it certainly made my day! Mail is very slow here so I tell most people to not bother in sending me things, when I was told there was a package for me my steps got a little lighter.

 

Then I opened it! I am seriously floating now. And to think where this have travelled to get to me. It apparently got to Dubai, then to Israel, and then up to the Israel side of the area I am working. It then had to wait until somebody was crossing into Syria to get it to me. So today my bed became a little more happy!

 

I love the photo of Hope. She is beautiful. My wife and I have two retrievers, their breed is Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Parker the boy is the one with the crossed legs.

 

The mini on the quilt is perfect is everything else. Considering the Eagles are on the bottom of the ladder this year it is quite appropriate to have them at the bottom of the quilt too.

 

The Goofy, Donald, Mickey and Chip n Dale patch is also perfect as they are all the characters I have tattooed on my leg.

 

I can’t thank you enough. You have made my week!

...

Until next week keep your letters, emails and photos coming in.  

Tuesday's would be so totally boring without them!
💟💟💟💟💟💟💟

No comments:

Post a Comment