Tuesday 25 July 2023

Grati-Tuesday 25th July 2023

Happy Tuesday Friends!

Hope this day is bringing you joy so far. It is about to get a bit more joyful with this week's gratitude blog.

Grab a cuppa, sit back and enjoy some well deserved gratitude!

...

Dear Bev L,

I recently got the Aussie Hero quilt in the mail and I couldn't be happier with it! It came out almost exactly the way I had hoped in my mind's eye, except it looks even better. I love the colours and the detail is far, far more than I was expecting (and better than most other ones as well). Also, thanks to Philomena for the lovely plush finish. It is very comfy. 

I have been showing it off to people here and consensus is that I have the best, and I certainly have the best colours. Please extend my thanks also to your family for the design, it is perfect and their time spent around the kitchen table was well spent. 

It is really nice to learn how you got into sewing the quilts, and that the community is so friendly. Also, it sounds like you guys are very into your cars. My little sister had a 1977 Corvette (Bright Yellow) that my Dad bought her when she was finishing high school, and ever since then she has also had a thing for cars. I am sure that the 70' and 80's sports cars will become her "vintage" car obsession in the coming few years. 

I was born in NSW but my family moved to Canada when I was very young. My mother and father still live there but I left when I was 18 and came back to Australia. Dad has always wanted to move home as well (he is cold all the time), but Mum won't let him as she thinks Australia is too hot. He finds excuses to come down and visit for a while until she too flies down to Australia to collect him and drag him back home.

When I return from deployment I will move to Canberra. This will complete my career loop of starting in Canberra, then Sydney, Brisbane, Sydney again and finally now Canberra. As well as a few countries overseas along the way I think it has been a pretty good ride so far. We'll see what comes next. 

Thank you again so much for the quilt and laundry bag, and thank as well to Philomena and your son and daughter for their creative ideas. It looks fantastic and will keep me warm on cold Canberra nights (and who knows where else) for years to come!

With Kindest Regards. 

...

Hi Greg,

Just a quick note to let you know the quilt has arrived and its absolutely FANTASTIC!
I will send a proper reply / thank you to the quilter as well!
Many many thanks,

...

Hello Anne H,

 

Thank you so very much for my amazing Tasmania JackJumpers laundry bag – I absolutely love it!!! And for your lovely letter and the treats too. It was indeed well received and a completely unexpected surprise.

 

Since the Tasmania team joined the NBL, I have been a member of the ‘Ant Army’ and was fortunate enough to attend a few games in Hobart over Christmas, before I deployed in early January. So it is quite fitting indeed, though as you can see...had you kept it as a shirt – it would be way too big for my short stature.

 

Thank you also for sharing a little bit about yourself. 

 

So a little bit about me...I was born in Sydney and moved to Tassie around the age of six. I am the eldest of six and I have 5 nephews (2 of whom were born in the last 6 weeks) and 3 nieces. My mother and two of my sisters still live in Tasmania. I have a brother living in Melbourne, a brother living on the NSW Central Coast and a sister living in Sydney.

 

I joined the military 24.5 years ago and it has been a great experience and journey for me thus far. I started out in the Army Reserves, whilst I was still in school and then I transferred to the Navy full-time. It was a short-lived career though, as I never got my sea-legs, so I transferred back to the Army and after receiving my commission, I was assigned to the Royal Australian Corps of Signals (RA Sigs).

 

I am an avid basketballer (despite my stature...and lack of speed these days) and I love to travel (I think I am up to about 60 countries now...and I can say I’ve been to all 7 continents). I enjoy the outdoors and exploring this beautiful planet of ours when I can. When in Australia, spending quality time with family and friends is one of my highest priorities – my mother especially likes it that I take her on the occasional travelling adventure (we usually go overseas together to celebrate my birthday, but that was hindered somewhat by COVID over the last few years). And I don’t mind heading to the golf driving range on occasion too. One of my favourite events to attend is the World of WearableArt (WOW) fashion show in Wellington each year...I have attended 5 now. Have you heard of it? It’s quite a spectacle.

 

Anyway, I had best leave it there. Again, thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind gift – I appreciate having a bit more Australiana around my accommodation.

 

Kind regards,



...

Hi Colleen H,

Thank you thank you thank you!!!  Thank you so much for all your hard work and attention to this amazing quilt.  The kids and I absolutely love the design that you have come up with - and we agree that poodles make wonderful pets!!  

It's just incredible to think there are special people like you out there dedicating your time, skills and efforts to making something special for Defence members.  It's so kind and so thoughtful, and we really are so grateful for you and for this Aussie Hero Quilt, it's such a wonderful personal treasure and a special marker of some of the career highlights and touch points.  

Thank you again Colleen, I hope you have a wonderful day / week / month etc ahead.

Kind regards,

...

Dear Bridget R,

 

Last week I was presented with my beautiful Aussie Hero Quilt.  It is such an amazing piece of art! I am a cross stitcher of many years and truly understand the attention to detail and creativity required to create such a masterpiece.

 

You have truly captured who I am, not only my Air Force career but what is important in my life.  My 23 year old daughter is certainly the centre of my universe and so she rightly takes pride of place in the centre of the quilt, with our beloved furbabies standing by our sides.  I only have one furbaby left who is a 9 year old black and silver Labradoodle who was seized by the RSPCA from a puppy mill where she was a breeder and treated appallingly.  Even though she has been with us for 7 years, she is still very damaged and therefore my special needs child. My beloved Chocolate Labrador Mack (as in truck!) passed away on Mother’s Day.  Before Mack, we had a yellow and a black Labrador, Finbar and Errol, who really grew as my daughter's ‘siblings’.  Ironically, one of the dogs I had growing up was a much loved Lhasa Apso named Muppet.  As you probably know, they are not a common breed so it’s lovely to have that connection with you.

 

Thank you once again for my most beautiful quilt.  I will be attending the Aussie Hero Quilt dinner in Canberra in October and hope you will also be there so I may thank you in person.

 

Warmest regards

...

Hi Ann S,

 

Much to my overwhelming surprise I received my beautiful "hero quilt" today. I had no idea and feel very humbled to have received this.  

 

I was unable to read your beautiful letter due to tears in my eyes at the time.  I wanted to thank you personally for your efforts.  The quilt is a work of art and you captured Sandy beautifully. Your enclosed letter so helped to give it all context.  Thank you for sharing your family history past and present.

 

Words cannot truly express my thanks.  However, sincerely thank you.

 

Kindest regards

...

Good morning Sue N,

 

I’d just like to start by saying thank you for the quilt and laundry bag you really hit the mark and made life at sea feel a bit more like home, the quilt has definitely kept me warm down in the southern parts of Australia.

I’m 22 years old and originally from QLD, I joined the Navy in 2020 and I haven’t looked back since.

 

I really value the cause of Aussie Hero Quilts and once again would like to say thank you.

 

Kind Regards,

...

Dear Susan G,


I love my new laundry bag and blanket, they are both perfect. I also appreciate the AHQ and all its volunteers. It gives me great pride and warmth knowing that their’s lovely people like yourself doing this kind of work for veterans all across Australia. It also gives me great honour to serve and sacrifice for my country and its people. It’s hard being away from family and friends seeing as I too am from the Sunshine state and had to leave my life up there 4 years ago to come live in Sydney. But I have met a wonderful girl here and it’s nice to have family with me again. The deployments do take a toll when they keep me away from her and our beautiful doggo Nala. I’m glad that my request has sparked some new knowledge and creativity and that it took you back down memory lane. I wanted to email you to show my appreciation and to let you know your work among with all the other lovely volunteers doesn’t go unnoticed or unappreciated. 


Kind Regards 

...

Until next week keep your letters, emails and photos coming in.  

Tuesday's would be so totally boring without them!
๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ




No comments:

Post a Comment