Thursday 16 February 2023

South Coast Gathering of AHQ Volunteers by Belinda P

- Story by Belinda P - 

During the Thank You Weekend in Canberra last year, Ellen N asked about trying to get in touch with fellow volunteers around her home town. I just happened to be standing beside her at the time and said I would be happy to help out.  Imagine my surprise when she said she was from just outside Nowra!  I told her I knew of at least one person - me!

It was only fitting then, that the inaugural gathering was held at Ellen's home on Saturday 11 February 2023 in Falls Creek on the beautiful South Coast of NSW.  

Despite the hot weather, Ellen provided a very cool place to sit so we could get to know each other and have some very yummy afternoon tea.

Most of the ladies brought along show and tell which was either finished quilts, blocks ready to used in future quilts or display books filled with photos of requests they have done over the years (which I am going to start to do).  

Ellen then made everyone jealous (well at least me) by showing us her sewing room complete with long arm and lots and lots and lots of material.  Having only been a volunteer just over 18 months compared to her many years, I saw a glimpse of my future and I was more than happy with that!

L-R Joan B, Jenny L, Joy H, Belinda P, Ellen N & Helen C

We are looking at meeting every couple of months with the next one in mid April (date to be determined) either on a Wednesday or Saturday.  We will try to move around to different places and even visit some local quilting shops. 

So if you live in or visit the Nowra/Shoalhaven/Illawarra/Southern Highlands area and are interested in joining our gathering, we can be contacted via email scgathering23@gmail.com or by calling/texting Belinda Payne on 0412 360 550 (after 5pm weekdays and all weekend).  


 




No comments:

Post a Comment