Wednesday 29 June 2022

Invictus Quilts

Hi All, 

I am sorry it has taken me so long to share this post but here it is at last. Before the team headed overseas we presented our Aussie Invictus competitors with an Aussie Hero Laundry Bag. At the end of April, beginning of May we started posting out their quilts.   Below I am sharing just a couple of the thank you messages we received. 

From Mark A 

When I was selected for the Australian Invictus Games Team I had no idea of the special gifts Aussie Hero Quilts (and Laundry Bags) would hand make for all of the competitors.  Whether I was told and forgot or didn’t know, I was taken back when we were presented our hand made Laundry Bags in Sydney prior to leaving for the games in The Hague. The thought that someone who doesn’t know any of the competitors would personalise their handmade creations for us was unbelievable. We were then told we would also have a Quilt made for us on our return. I received mine last week and didn’t know what to do with it- do I hang it on the wall?  It is a piece of art. It was made to be used and now the colder weather is on its way I will make sure it’s my “go to” quilt/blanket. It is nice and thick and will be very warm.

I’d really like to thank Lynn F for all her great work. She went above and beyond with her research and detailed inlays, the material and layout. Lynn made both the Laundry Bag and the Quilt. Her husband Arthur, helped by digitising the logos for the machine and Philomena H was given the job of joining the three pieces of quilt together with her excellent stitching.

I will think of them whenever I’m cold and go for the beautiful quilt.

The magical people who are Aussie Hero Quilts (and Laundry Bags) don’t expect anything in return but I have some special mementoes I saved to pass onto Lynn, Arthur and Philomena. I hope they cherish them as I will the quilt and laundry bag.

From Lucy 

Hi Bridget R, Lorraine H, Inge C and Jan-Maree, 

 

I would just like to write and thank you all for the wonderful gift! Bridget - thank you for the beautiful laundry bag and Lorraine - thank you for the gorgeous quilt. And Jan-Maree - thank you for brightening the days of so many through the work of Aussie Hero Quilts!

 

Both items are absolutely beautiful and will be pieces that I treasure forever. I love them! They are honestly one of the best gifts that I have ever received; it was better than Christmas when I unwrapped the parcel! 

 

The quilt has already been keeping me toasty this winter, and I’m sure I’ll get lots of use out of my personalised laundry bag in future travels. I really appreciate the work that must have gone into making them both and am so thankful to receive them. 

 

Thank you for the hard work of Aussie Hero Quilt sewers and thanks again!

 

Warm wishes, 

 

Here are the photos of the quilts made for the competitors.  What a fabulous job you all did. 

Ann S 

Ann S 

Barbara D

Bel P 

Bel P

Bev and Geoff C

Bev U 

Bridget

Cath Hpr

Christine C 

Deni

Diana A

Fran 

Heather B 

Jacqui

Jan-Maree 

Janet L

Janis K 

Jenny D 

Lynn F quilted by Philomena 

Lynn F quilted by Philomena 
Marg B 

Marianne

Philomena 

Philomena 

Rachel 

Sally 

Sheena 
Sue O'D

Sue-Ellen 

Wendy B 

A huge thank you to Inge for all her hard work embroidering all the patches needed for the laundry bags, and to everyone else who helped with the embroideries for the quilts. The embroiderers are often the unsung heroes of Aussie Heroes but we certainly appreciate them!!

This was taken of our recipients after they received their laundry bags just prior to their departure. 

And here are some of the happy faces. I know there were a few more photos received via Instagram but I missed saving some. 






Till next time... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

Jan-Maree xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment