Tuesday 17 November 2020

Grati-Tuesday 17th November 2020

Hope you are having a lovely week friends, I've had a short working week, so whilst that makes my days a little crazier, I always love a long weekend! Especially filled with the sunshine Sydney put on show yesterday!!

Check out these beautiful notes and a few photos, so awesome! 

Have a great week! Alex


.... 


Dear Melissa,

Thank you so much for sending the lovely Laundry bag I received on my deployment in Asia.

I am the regimental medical officer for the trip. When your box arrived it was brillant to hand out all the presents to the men and women here, and everyone was grateful for a gift from home.

Was pleasantly surprised when we found out they'd sent some for the officers too, the OC, 21C, OPSO and CSM spent such long hours looking after the diggers trying to make everything run smoothly for them so it was really heartwarming to see them get a little something from home as well. They all chose the cartoon designs, I could see a reminder of their kiddies that they've been away from for 5 months. So thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Working in the jungle and the humidity over here it is particularly important for hygiene, so as a doctor I love the laundry bag initiative, they've got no excuse not to sort out their laundry now! We've recently returned to Northern Territory and quarantine and most of the boys had their laundry bags out stuffing in last minute items and carrying them on the plane. Made me smile to see the dinosaur and spider-man designs amongst the seas of AMCU camouflage.

I really enjoyed getting your letter. I myself am a reservist. The army posted they needed a doctor last minute to look after those deploying to Asia during COVID19 so I put my hand up. My mum is currently working on COVID assist (she's in the Army herself) and has clocked up 80+ days straight at the airports and hotels, so she has been too busy to send me a care package. It made your letter and laundry bag particularly special to know someone back home was thinking of us.

I'm sorry I didn't take a photo whilst away for you, it was a bit of a stressful time as they had a second wave of COVID which meant lots of late nights for me trying to keep our members safe when they needed medical care away from hot spots. 

Wishing you all the best and hope you continue your work in the future, your dedication and thoughtfulness sewing these gifts means a lot to our members overseas.

Best wishes

.... 


Good Morning Monika,

I am a Sub-Lieutenant in Navy. This year has been a crazy year for a lot of us in the ADF. I started the year being deployed on Operation Bushfire Assist and following straight on from that, I was on the Operational Ready Vessel at the start of this whole COVID situation, we find ourselves in currently.

To follow on from this, I was assigned to the borders. I received your beautiful laundry bag when I was deployed to the border, and it definitely brought small bit of colour into the day to day.

I wanted to send this to say thank you for what you and the Aussie Hero Quilts do, they help a lot with the morale every day of the week. Keep doing what you do, and hopefully if and when I deploy next I can get a quilt to brighten my cabin up a little.

Yours Aye,

.... 


Clarissa,

Thank you so much for the laundry bag, it exceeded my expectation by miles. 

I so very much  appreciate the work you and all of the Aussie Hero Quilts team do. The joy and colour you bring into our lives cannot be under estimated.

Thank you for your efforts also in getting the majority of quilts and bags organised, I think we have received most of them, we have another flight arriving on the 16th November, and that should see them all in.

I have written to Kathleen, re; the quilt and cc'd you and Jan-Maree, please the word reflected in that email goes out to all the quilters, your service is so very much appreciated.

Kind Regards.

.... 


Good Afternoon Toni,

I just received your lovely laundry bag!

Thank you very very much for this and your kind words and letter. I am from New South Wales, and have a wife and 2 sons back home. My eldest turns 18 while I'm here.

We really appreciate all the work you do, receiving gifts like this really brightens up our days.

Thank you very much

.... 


Dear Heather,

Thank you so very much for my beautiful laundry bag! I absolutely love and appreciate all the work you put into it. It is spot on and definitely does the job brightening up laundry day. Your little Cactus pot is so creative & perfect :) 

Love your work.

A little bit about me; I'm 24  years old and joined the Air Force in 2015. I graduated and posted to New South Wales.

I've deployed to the Middle East three times now, in the last two and a half years! I am very lucky to be able to contribute and be part of it all.

My job consists of maintaining and repairing Aircrew and Aircraft Life Support equipment such as helmets, masks and harness.

As I work on very versatile cargo planes, we do have to fix seats and other items that can be repaired by sewing machines. I sew at home as well as at work, so I know how much work and love you must all put into each and every one of these quilts and laundry bags.

I've waited a long time to ask for a quilt and laundry bag, as I've always wanted to make sure I was worthy of one. I've seen plenty of people showing off their quilts and how much joy it brings to them! So I thought, why not, brighten my deployment with something as special as this and after three times in the sandpit, I thought 'hey, why not', I think it's time!

I really hope you know how much we all appreciate everything Aussie Hero Quilts do for us.

So if you are wondering why I requested succulents and cactus; Well I am a massive gardener and have over 100 indoor plants and lots of succulents in my outdoor garden! I'm praying that they are all alive when I get home haha!

I have a greyhound, she is an ex-racer and I love her so much.

Thank you again for putting your time into something as selfless and kind, and creating something that will be cherished forever!

Kind Regards.

.... 


To Marianne,

I was very fortunate to have received your beautiful handiwork, in the form of a laundry bag! I am vey touched that you chose mine to be your very first one! And I love it. 

I come from a very dog-centered home. We have four. I have done a lot of foster caring for greyhounds and have one who has come to say. She is 9 years old and was never much of a racer. I also have a lab cross spaniel and small poodle (we think he came to us from the pound), so we will never know.

The bag you created will be admired by my children as well (when I get home), as they have grown from babies as dog-lovers too.

This has been a very busy tour, working in health during COVID times - so your very generous care package was extremely popular with my workmates, who also want to thank you. 

I hope you have stayed well. Thank you for this generous gift - I will treasure it.

.... 


From the Facebook page:

A photo of the beautiful quilt made for me by a lovely lady in your organisation named Kathleen M.


.... 


Hi Ruth,

I just want to send you an email to thank you so much for the lovely laundry bag. 

It made me smile so much when I got the package in the mail and saw the lovely laundry bag.

The cows, horse, and dogs reminded me so much of home. We have about 1500 acres at home in Queensland.

Since being away, I have missed being on the farm, checking on the cattle, riding the horses and all the open space.

You are very skilled, and I was so happy to receive this laundry bag, I even sent a photo to show my family.

It's people like you who add brightness to our days.

I hope you have a lovely rest of the year and a lovely Christmas.

.... 


Good Afternoon Beverley,

I just received the lovely quilt, thank you very much! 

Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you fo your service in support of veterans.

We really appreciate the work you and your teams do, it brings joy to everyone to receive gifts like these!

Thanks

.... 


Hello Jenny,

I am currently posted and due to depart for the Northern Territory shortly. I would like to say thank you for volunteering your time, and that I have received one of your laundry bags, you have made (purple and white stripes).

As a civilian I am a commercial electrician, and in the Army Reserve in Western Australia. This is my 3rd deployment, and the 3rd time I have seen the laundry bags being handed out by the Padre. 

Thank you once again, and I look forward to using the bag whilst away on deployment.

.... 


Good Morning Clarissa,

First of all, I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for that gorgeous creation you made for me. I just went to the Post Office here on Camp to get some paperwork signed and the man at the counter told me to wait as he said he had a package for me. I was confused as I had only ordered a few supplies for myself online a few days prior and thought it was crazy how fast it would have arrived. He handed me the package and I saw the words 'Aussie Hero Quilts' on the back. I RACED back to my room eager to open it up, where it emerged the most beautiful, thoughtful and precious gift. I instantly teared up.

These past few weeks have been difficult to adjust from being away from my fiance, family and of course my three dogs and working dog. This gift just reminded me that what I am doing is not easy, however, so worth it.

I have been in the Defence Force for only a short amount of time, enlisting in 2017. I completed my training in 2018 to become a Military Dog Handler. My working dog is a long haired Belgian Malinois. He has his fourth birthday the week I arrived in country. He is absolutely beautiful.

Additionally, to my working dog, I come home to my three babies. No not babies, but fur babies. A 6 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback x Labrador, 4 year old Labrador and 3 year old Labrador x Kelpie. So as you can probably tell, I'm definitely having a case of dog withdrawals!

Thank you for your letter as well, it was great reading about your life and you seem to have created such a beautiful life.

I think once I am able to retire my working dog, I will look at going into Guide Dog training as a new career path. As much as I love my job now, I think training up assistance or guide dogs would be the most rewarding career.

I just wanted to get in touch with you, and tell you how much I love and appreciate your creation. Thank you for spending your limited time doing things like this for defence personnel. You might not realise, but it makes such a positive impact on us.

Have an amazing Christmas, and New Year as well.

Thank you

.... 


Dear Robyn

Thank you very much for the laundry bag that you made. It was just how I had imagined and I absolutely love it! 

The sunsets here are amazing. I have seen many orange sunsets but never had my phone with me - although living and appreciating the moment is far better. The camels are down the road, and whilst I don't see them often, we can definitely smell them haha!

I live in New South Wales and I have a beautiful view of mountains from my kitchen window. The sunsets are beautiful.

We are safe enough from COVID-19 here; we are confined to the base and apart from flying; I haven't left unfortunately. There is enough work to do to keep us busy though; so I can't complain. We are not able to take our R&R in town so we are confined to Base Camp. I get my 'respite' by flying for work. It is what it is though. These are unprecedented times and I understand we need to just accept them as different.

I have been in the Air Force for 2.5 years and have been fortunate enough to have seen a lot in my time and have done far more than the average 21 year old.

I have been posted to South Australia and now New South Wales. I have been to Northern Territory far too many times to count. I have been privileged enough to be chosen to work in Asia for a month. The opportunity to work with multiple international Defence Forces at such a young age is something I will take with me forever. I've had the honour of working with AsiaPac, Europe and USA.  

I love my job and working in Operations is by far the most rewarding thing to me. I have always dreamt of serving and it is such a surreal feeling being in the Middle East, so early in my career. I am blessed to have met some great people too.

Thank you again for my laundry bag. I appreciate it so much and I will cherish it forever. I hope you have a safe rest of the year and hoping that 2021 is kinder to the world.

Best wishes.

.... 


Good Morning Jan-Maree,

Some months ago, I was deployed on OP COVID Assist on the borders and then into New South Wales supporting hotel quarantine management. During our preparations, the Task Group Chaplain gave us each a laundry bag, so lovingly made by your members. I had always intended to write and say thank you but unfortunately misplaced the email address.

Today, as I prepare to redeploy in support of returning international Australians requiring quarantine, I found your email address!

Thank you, thank you, thank you - for the laundry bag was, and will be again, a wonderful asset while away from home and managing the life things that go along deployment - like laundry! It's the perfect size and so brightly coloured and unique.

I apologise it has taken so long to type this message.Please let your members know that we really appreciate the support.

Many thanks!

.... 



Hi Jenny,

Thank you so much for your time and effort in making my quilt and laundry bag. It means a lot to me.

I'm 51yo and have been in the RAAF for 29 years but still appreciate the opportunity I've been given to serve our countries interests. I'm thinking of the sacrifices those like yourself make too. As well as my wife and kids back in South Australia.

I'm married and we have 5 daughters - between 20 and 13 years old including twins. I miss them all very much, and I can't wait to show them what you've done for me.

We got our first delivery from Aussie Hero Quilts today, so we were all showing each other, created a great atmosphere.

I spent some time posted in New South Wales and grew up in Queensland, but never been back.

I'm here in the Middle East supporting and leading the RAAF Aviation Ground Support Equipment Technicians and Fire Fighters; Several of the Fire Fighters are young females, things change, and they certainly are brave, not sure I could do that!

I'm an Engineer, who usually supports the Aviation side of things, so this is a little different. I was commissioned from the ranks 6 years ago; it still impresses me to read my Commissioning Certificate, written in a very official old English style; signed by Governor General. A Queen's Commission has a lot of history to it, I have to pinch myself.

The days are long and we work 6 days a week here. The weather at this time of year is perfect. I've been here before in summer, which is more extreme.

Thank you very much for showing your appreciation.

All the best.

.... 


Dear Clarissa,

I just wanted to write and offer my sincere gratitude for taking time to make such a beautiful laundry bag for me. I also very much appreciate it.

I'm also very grateful for the letter you wrote, as this made the gift all the more personal for me. 

I am a UK Lateral Transfer and after 30 years' service with the British Army (Royal Corps of Signal) I emigrated here with my wife and two daughters in 2018. After two years in Queensland, we moved to ACT shortly before I deployed here to the Middle East.

My wife, is a Senior Occupational Therapist. My two daughters aged 11 and 9 are enjoying life in ACT, with all the beautiful walks and plentiful wildlife. My eldest is an avid reader and keen swimmer, and my youngest loves drama, singing and dancing. They both have established a good circle of friends very quickly.

We had a rocky start, shortly after arriving in Qld, we found ourselves evacuated during the floods and unfortunately lost most of our possessions. We have slowly built our lives back together and our recent move, I guess, represents a fresh start.

Every little bit helps and I can't explain how much a beautifully hand-crafted laundry bag means to me both as a symbol of generosity and as an addition to our gradual replacement of lost items. As a Lateral Transfer, who only gained citizenship last year, I have acquired few items that bear the flag, so your gift is another coveted symbol of our families national pride. The poppies are a poignant reminder of the ANZAC sacrifice and enduring spirit which will always give me strength and comfort.

Once again, thank you for everything you do both as an individual craftswoman and as part of Aussie Hero Quilts. It is a great initiative with a noble aim and I can testify to the joy and appreciation your products provide to everyone here who is lucky enough to receive one.

With lasting gratitude and kindest regards.

.... 


Dear Sue,

I received my quilt and laundry bag, and am absolutely delighted. 

I hope you and your family are keeping well. 

I live in Victoria. My husband and 6 year old son are at home. 

Thank you so much for the quilt, I especially love the snowmen.

Cheers.






No comments:

Post a Comment