Tuesday 25 August 2020

Grati-Tuesday 25 Aug

                                                                  G'day all.

 I hope wherever you are reading from your day is treating you well. I'm currently sitting in my office finishing off a few work items before I try and capture the last of the sun for the afternoon. 

My backyard is currently awash of magpies - some 27 visiting again for the day. Great sight, but i'm losing more and more of my favourite jumpers to their incessant need to pull a thread from the middle.. Never mind, Spring is well and truly on the way here in Sydney.. Hope you enjoy this week's messages - just lovely.. Until next week... Alex  

 .... 


Hi Ruth

I have just recieved your marvellous laundry bag. I absolutely love it, and am so thankful for the amazing skill and time you took to make it.

I originally hail from Queensland, and have been in the Air Force as a cook for 10 years. This is my first deployment to the Middle East, and it has been an experience, especially with the changes in the world at this time.

I don't have any children at the moment, but my husband and I are saving for a house, so who knows what the future will hold.

Thank you again (and a thousand times again) for an amazing gift and I will always think of you whenever I see it.

Kindly yours.

.... 

Good Morning / Afternoon Bridget,

I was so excited to receive my Aussie Hero Quilts just the other day. It is amazing, you have done such a wonderful job to construct a beautiful piece that reminds me of home and my beloved AFL team.

I have a wife and two young boys aged 5 and 3 who are testing mum while I am away. My wife is currently finishing her last year of study to complete her RN degree and is looking forward to entering the industry.

We have a naughty 1 year old cocker spaniel who has a boundless energy, keeping the whole family run off their feet. We can be found usually pulling anything that falls on the floor from her mouth...

I have been in the UAE now for 5 months with a couple more to go. It can be difficult being away for such a long time and gestures such as the quilts made by yourself and the Aussie Hero team brighten our living areas and make it much more pleasant place to be.

I have been in Defence now for 16 years, within the Army assigned with the Corps of the Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. I look after workshops and maintaining and manufacturing equipment with my team. This is my second time deployed in operations, with my first spending 9 months in the Middle East during 2013.

When I left Australia, Covid had only just started and hadn't really affected us yet, I now know that I will be returning to a very different environment that will impact the way we live for an unknown duration.

Again, thank you very much for the lovely quilt, it is more than I could have hoped for.

.... 

Good Morning Maree,

I hope this email sees you well. 

I'd firstly like to thank you for all the work that you do to support deployed ADF members. Particularly during these trying times where many resources are limited or have been cut off entirely.

I recently received your quilt and laundry bag which you sent. I very much appreciate the time and effort you put in to make these just for me. The theme of the Sydney Roosters is a reflection of a sport which I love and closely follow. Being able to use and glance at them whilst I'm here is a welcome change from the 'beige' which we're used to seeing literally everywhere.

I am living in South Australia but my partner and my families are all on the East Coast. So I am hoping to permanently relocate there in 2021, but that's all in the balance pending the outcome of the current impacts of COVID.

Thank you again for my parcel, your courteous comments in your correspondence and for your participation in the Aussie Hero Quilts community as a whole.

Please stay safe, as will we. 

Kindest Regards.

.... 

Heather,

I received the quilt you made me this week - it is even better than I expected, thank you!

Things have been quite 'interesting' for us and challenging particularly with Covid-19 restrictions. Essentially we are confined to base with no opportunities for R&R. That said, the role I'm doing keeps me on my toes and means I work long and unusual hours. Yes, we are getting close to returning... and of course quarantine before finally seeing family. Also, looking forward to cooler temperatures - we're regularly in the 50's with high humidity here at present.

I live in Queensland and am looking forward to getting back home and spending time with my family and my dogs.

Again, I thank you for the quilt. I can assure you, you can always tell when someone recieves a quilt from Aussie Hero Quilts - they immediately brighten up and are happy to show it off. You all do great work that is very much appreciated.

Cheers.

.... 

Dear Janet,

Just a quick note to express my profound thanks for my fantastic quilt. It came as a huge surprise, although I did wonder why my daughter called to ask what my service number was. My plan for it is, to make a hanger and have it on display somewhere, yet to be decided, maybe in my music room with my other treasures.

When I joined the RAAF in 1976 I had no idea I'd still be there thirty two years later, and I certainly had no idea that my girls would follow my lead, although they are both strong independent women, it shouldn't have come as a surprise. 

Once again, many thanks I will treasure it always.

Kind Regards.

.... 

Robyn, Good Morning to you.

Please forgive me for not replying earlier, however it was always my intent to reply to you after the arrival of my laundry bag.

It was such a lovely surprise to receive this parcel, so thank you again.

I served in the Australian Army Reserve for 49 years and 10 months. During that time there was a lot of opportunity to cross pollinate with the Regular Army.

I retired in 2003. As life is about one door closing and another opening an old Army Colleague asked me to contact a school Cadet CORP Commanding Officer. They were looking for someone to look after the CORP's stores and logistics. I will 77 years of age this November and will stay there for another 3 years. 

We have made a difference in many people's lives. It was all very worthwhile. The friendships made etc.

May I again thank you for the wonderful bag suitably stitched together. A real piece of history indeed.

Always.
.... 

Hi Brownyn,

On behalf of the COMD, Brigadier and myself, a big thank you for the wonderful support to our young service men and women. The work these days for the reserve soldiers is very unrelenting. First Bushfire Assist, then COVID Assist and now Op Resolute. Each of them different and requiring a different set of skills and mindset. The soldiers are currently going their preparation and training phase. The bags will be distributed to them before they embark on their operation later in the year.

We are especially thankful for your efforts given the extremely stressful times that Australia are going through. Please stay safe and COVID free.

So again, thank you for your wonderful support to the soldiers of the Australian Defence Force.

Kindest Regards (and blessings).

.... 

Good Afternoon Anne,

I wanted to write a very big 'THANK YOU' for the amazing laundry bags via #Aussieheroquilts.

I am in the RAAF. I have deployed out as part of COVID-19 Assist.

My grandfather was British RAF who fought in Vietnam and remained in the UK. My father immigrated out to Australia with mum after also serving in the British RAF. I never intended to join the ADF but many a years later I decided to give it ago and here I am.

I always wanted to serve the community and am happy to be part of this journey to help Australians and others.

I understand that these are interesting and dangerous times and I want to help Australians get past this so we can all resume life more normally.  I'd love to see my family again after 8 months, who are currently in Queensland and Melbourne, and miss a lot.

Thank you again for the countless hours and generosity of your hard work and commitment to ADF. It was a lovely surprise to receive these gifts.

Do stay safe, happy and healthy during these time.. 

Regards and thanks again.


.... 

Bridget,

I just wanted to send you a note to thank you for the incredible quilt that I recently received. It is perfect! You captured so well all the aspects that have been important to me in my time away, but in particular being able to incorporate my family who play such an important role at home. 

Thank you so much for what you do,

With many thanks.
.... 

Bridget,

I am so grateful to receive the laundry bag you have made for me. I would've just been really happy to receive something with Military / ANZAC Day pattern or something more generic but for it to be so personalised with pictures of my family was amazing. It will be part of my story now and an item I will forever link to my Military Service.

Best wishes.

.... 

Kylie and Rhonda,

I want to say thank you so much for the laundry bag you both worked on for me. I ordered mine a little late so only got to see it when I got home. I am really happy with how it looks and will put it to good use on my future travels.

I deployed in Spring 2019 with the intent of returning to Australia at Easter 2020. Unfortunately Covid-19 came to the party and I was one of those on an an extension until Mid Year. Fortunately, we were able to get replacements in and I got to return a few weeks later. With quarantine added on, I have not long returned to and gotten to see my wife and kids; a total extension of a few months to my original deployment. While it was somewhat inconvenient to extend, the group of people over there were fantastic. Everyone took it in their stride and banded together to make the best of a bad situation.

Having that support in location was great, but add onto that the knowledge that people like you continued to sacrifice your time and effort for us is a huge humbling experience. I would assume that you would say making the laundry bag was no drama whatsoever, but the impact it has is huge. 

Thank you so much for the effect you and the team have on those of us who are deployed away from home.

Regards.

.... 

Dear Rachel,

I am greatly appreciate of the Quilt and Laundry Bag I have just received from you here in the Middle East. Thank you very much for the aviation theme and design of the Quilt, it really is a work of art and makes the Middle East a little brighter. I live in New South Wales and have a love for the outdoors.

Thank you once again so very much for the quilt and letter and I wish you all the best for the rest of 2020 and what a crazy year it has been.

Kindest regards.
.... 

Dear Thelma,

Hello all the way from the United Arab Emirates. I arrived on deployment at the end of June. I am a member of the air load team, we load, unload, build pallets, process people and manifest everything for the services of aircraft. I think I have one of the best jobs in Defence although due to work load we only do 4 1/2 months not 6 months.

This is my 3rd deployment with the RAAF, although my first as a parent.

I have one human child, a daughter who is almost 6, and 2 fur children, Labrador's who are 9 and 10. I love them equally.

What an amazing job you have done! I have such respect for what you do! I dont even think there is enough credit given to you all! Thank you for all you do!

I am currently based in Queensland, and have been in the defence for almost 13 years. I'll be 43 this year. I grew up in Queensland. 

I love the fact that you named my quilt, thank you. Midnight Rainbow.

The last year and a half has been extremely difficult and that's the reason I asked for high vibration colours and good vibes. xxx

I'm using this time to think about what's best for my daughter, and dogs and I and finding my inner peace again. 

Thank you again so much for your beautiful thoughtful quilt. I hope you are staying safe during this difficult covid thing.

Please take care of yourself. Women like you are rare. Thank you again for all you do.

Lots of warm thoughts and hugs!
.... 

Hello Susan,

The quilt arrived on Tuesday afternoon. It is so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes.

He was blown away by not only the quilt itself but the recognition it symbolises. He was so chuffed.

Thank you for all that you do for service personnel, it's truly amazing.

Thank you to Susan, you are very creative and talented. This quilt will be treasured our household.

Thank you all so much for doing this, it means a lot.
 
Kind Regards.
.... 

Good Morning Aussie Hero Team,

I am emailing on behalf of our squadron for the laundry bags that were sent to the unit in appreciation for the efforts during the 2019 Townsville floods.

We as a unit are extremely grateful for the support that you have provided to the unit as well as the ongoing support to all serving members overseas.

Receiving the laundry bags puts a smile on all our faces and reinforces that the value of our efforts do not go unnoticed.


.... 


Hello Joy & Lisa,

Thank you so much for everything you do supporting our Aussie Troops.

This week I received a very special parcel containing a quilt that will stay with me for a long time! The quilt looks amazing and I can't wait to show my family when I return home.

I am currently still deployed and operating our Australia air refuelling tanker - the KC-30A. I am nearing the end of my deployment and in a couple of weeks will land back on home soil to quarantine before seeing my family - I can't wait.

Thank you so much once again for kind support, it is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards.


.... 

Dear Bridget,

I hope this message finds you well and safe.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your beautiful quilt. My wife,already has plans on where it is going to go. We are so lucky to have Aussie Heroes in our lives, the smile that the quilts and laundry bags put on people's faces is just magical.

My wife and I have two children, our daughter is 14 and son is 13. We also have three dogs, a cat and 8 chickens. We live in a small country town in New South Wales and we absolutely love living in the country.

Once again, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the lovely quilt and please stay safe.

Kind Regards.



.... 

Quilt presented in person, Thank you;





.... 

Good Afternoon Hilary,

I am an Officer Aviation Candidate in the RAAF awaiting flight training to begin next year. In the interim I am posted in NSW. About a week ago, I deployed to Operation COVID-Assist providing defence assistance to the civilian community during the pandemic. I am one of several flight commanders posted to the boarder assisting state police in protecting our borders.

I had the privilege of choosing the wonderful laundry bag you created - the sheep and love hearts instantly catching my attention. I have never had a laundry bag before but it is something I have needed for a while so this is an excellent gift.

I am still very early on in my career. The road ahead is laden with many difficult challenges I can only begin to comprehend. Flight school is fast-paced and unforgiving with only a handful of pilots making it through.

I have a partner of 9 years of which the longest time away from each other was my officer training earlier this year which will be closely followed by this current deployment. It is not easy spending time away from loved ones.

Please continue doing the work you do - these acts of generosity really do make an impact and are greatly appreciated. Stay safe and stay healthy.

Yours sincerely.
.... 

Hi Robyn,

I am the proud recipient of your lovely laundry bag that you made. I am a midshipman in the RAN and have been assigned to COVID Assist for our first deployment.

Thank you for your beautiful work with the Australia birds bag. Coming from Victoria, it is nice to have some lovely gift that will cherish and have as a special thing displaying the support from community and from those that understand the things that go unrecognised.

I have also sent on photos of your beautiful work and kind words home to show how nice it is and what a great organisation Aussie Heroes is. As it's the little things that make all the difference.

Thank you.

.... 

Toni,

WOW! The laundry bag was perfect. Not sure where you found the material with the Kangaroo Paws but it is just beautiful.

All Western Australian's in the house are suitably impressed.

I thank you very much and wish the best for your family.

Kind Regards.
.... 

Sheena,

I recieved my quilt, lovingly made by yourself.

I was well received by all Western Australian's in the house and a great addition to the collection of quilts and blankets.

The addition of the numbat was a great touch and the dairy cows, markings and all a great hit.

I thank you, very much, and wish you the best for your family in each corner of Australia. 

Kind Regards.

.... 

Dear Sonia,

Thank you for the laundry bag you made. The bag was blue and had dogs on it. I am missing home and my new pup Labrador. 

Anyway I needed a laundry bag too! I am currently in NSW on COVID Assist helping state police.

Regards.

.... 

 

1 comment: