Tuesday 25 February 2020

Grati-Tuesday 25 February 2020

G'day all,

A busy day here and an even busier day tomorrow. Another Television Crew is coming along tomorrow and will be with us until after five pm.  I can't tell you any more but rest assured I will give you plenty of warning once I know when the show is going to air. It should be around ANZAC Day. 
For now, please enjoy these great messages.
.....


Hi Sheena,

Firstly, I would love to say a big THANK YOU for my amazing quilt and laundry bag that you made. It is everything I could have asked for and more!

I love the colours and the way you have emulated the waves. I have enclosed a picture of myself with your beautifully made quilt at my favourite spot on base where we have lunch in the sun by the water. I would love to thank Jenny too! Both the laundry bag and quilt are so beautifully made and will be used for years to come on many more deployments.

The quilt and laundry bag came at the best time as I unfortunately had to be medically sent home just two months shy of the end of my deployment overseas. I couldn’t stop smiling and I can’t tell you how much I appreciated the gifts plus the goodies inside.

I hope you are having a good year and I want to thank you again for your amazing creation.

All the best,


...

G’day Heather,
I just got your parcel and it absolutely made my day!  This is just a quick one to say thank you, we’re unfortunately super busy right now but things should settle down in a few days and I’ll be able to write you a proper hand written response.  I just had to show you what your bag replaced and how sorely needed it was when it arrived.


Thank you so much again you’re an amazing human being!!


.....


Thank you Jan-Maree,

Received my quilt and washing bag today and my other lovely bits and pieces (Yumm chocolate I can eat). My quilt is truly beautiful. I love the colours and symbolism.
My quilt is brightening my wall at work and helping me see meaning in my tasks when I’m there late at night. I think my washing bag is almost too good to use.

Thanks to you and all the lovely ladies at Aussie Hero Quilts.


.....

Hello Kerry,

First of all I just want to say thank you so much.

I received your package yesterday, when I opened it and saw Tim Tams so I knew this was going to be good day. Then I saw chewing gum (perfect) and a hand written letter, which I haven't received since I was a kid.

So, before I even got to the bag I was happy as Larry, then I saw the cup... With my name on it!!! Not an easy feat, so a very well done for that. Next was the bag... I was blown away by how amazing it is. I have shown all the guys here and they are in 

awe as to how good it is.

I have a few weeks left till I get home to see my wife and 4 boys and this has come at the best time. The last month always drags on and this has brought my spirits back up so a huge thank you for that.
If all the work you do for us is as good as this, you have nothing to be nervous about. It is amazing.

One of the hardest things about being away, apart from missing family, has been feeling helpless during the fires back home. I know we have a job to do here but our home is burning and we should be out there helping. All the firefighters here feel the same.

I can't thank you enough for this amazing gift you have given me. The Tim Tams will be put to good use, although my mid-section might disagree, haha. The cup will be my work cup when I get back home from now on, so when I have a coffee, which I have a lot, I will think of you. The bag will be hung up in my garage, which is sort of my man cave, with my other collectables.
......

Hello Sue,

First of all please forgive me for such a late reply to your lovely letter but today is my last night on deployment, heading home tomorrow and the past month has been crazy for me trying to complete a good handover for my replacement.

I want to Thank You from the bottom of my heart, I was so excited to see what my quilt would looked like and when I unfolded it was definitely more than what I was expecting. The colours the details the flags (thanks for adding the Colombian flag too) the camels, poppies, anchors with my favourite colour it was just a piece of art. You left me and my colleagues speechless, they all loved it and the ones that weren’t thinking of placing their names for a quilt straight away lined up to do so.  You really outdid yourself, it must have taken you so long to make with all the detail that went to it…you even painted the anchor…you really blew my mind away and I promise I will treasure this quilt for the rest of my life. In fact I will be posting to a ship in a few months so guess what…I will be taking my quilt to sea.

It’s true  that it’s hard to be away from our family and friends but I tell you what it’s worth it. I have enjoyed every minute of my deployment and I am glad I had this great opportunity to work  in an operational environment with Army and Air Force. I promise you that Australia is in safe hands, we work extremely well as a team.

I would like to once again thank you for my beautiful Navy quilt. Keep up the great work you do for us it really does make a difference and mean a lot to us and reminds us why we do what we do.

Thanks You so much take care and a big hug x

Regards,

......

Hi Toni,
I just received the laundry bag you kindly made me and read your letter.
Thank you so much for taking the time to make it, write it and be part of this great organisation.
I was also stoked to hear you are a graphic designer and finished artist! I’m also a graphic designer.
I have managed to use my civilian skills to carve out a military career as an Army Public Affairs Officer, it’s particularly handy because I seem to take a lot of photos.
I still like to create art in my spare time, although with work as busy as it is, it’s a bit long between drinks these days.

I have been on a few deployments (mainly Navy) now but this is my first operational tour.
It’s a real eye opener in geo-politics, but also with the local culture – the chai tea is great and so is the bread.
It’s a great feeling to deploy with an ANZAC contingent and we have all made great mates with those that have come from across the ditch.
It sounds as if you have a lot on your plate too.
My Mum also works in aged care and finds it very rewarding, I probably should tell her about Aussie Quilts as well, ha ha.
That is a fantastic achievement in making so many laundry bags, you should feel very proud – the team here receiving them at the moment couldn’t be happier.
I also got stuck into the muesli bars straight away, they were awesome.
Thanks again for the one of a kind laundry bag, it really is a great feeling to know the people back here care about us overseas.
All the best with all your careers! I’m sure you would be bored in retirement anyway.

All the best,
.....


Dear Lyn K,
Thank you so much for my quilt, I absolutely love it. You did a fantastic job.
 I understand how hard it must have been for you as a Port Power supporter to make a Crows quilt!
We used to holiday in the Riverland when we were younger, on a house boat, and the thing I remember was all the orchards and how amazing the oranges tasted.
I am sorry to hear about your Dad passing away, it’s never easy to deal with. I lost my Nanna last year at the age of 91 yrs and it took me a long time to get over that because we were very close and would talk on the phone at least once or twice a week.
I hope you’ve managed to get some rain, it’s been a really terrible summer with so much drought and the bushfires. My house was under threat a little bit yesterday. I had to get a friend to go in and get all my most valued possessions just in case.
It sounds like you are both keeping yourselves very busy between making quilts, admin work at the school, travelling, your children and being Santa!
I hope you all had a great Christmas and start to the New Year. Your quilt definitely helped to make mine great.
Anyway, thank you again so much, I really treasure it and am very grateful that you put so much time and effort into making it for me.
Good luck with the 2020 AFL season!
......



Hello  Clarissa,

Thank you very much for the Laundry bag, it is fantastic! And of course the crisps and tim tams!!! The lamington flavoured crisps were interesting…. Can’t say they would be my favourite lol, definitely had a lamington flavour of sorts and some interesting faces from the coalition personnel who tried them also. The TIM TAMS however are very gladly received by everyone here especially the Americans – It is amazing what you can get done with a tim tam bribe – haha.

Thanks for your story, it was interesting to hear about yourself and family.  Sounds like you live in a very nice part of Sydney.

I grew up and completed school in Victoria, and so prefer AFL over Rugby but would rather watch Rugby then League lol….. I have lived all over Australia.    

I have two daughters also – but a bit younger, they just turned 8 and 10, and looking forward to school holidays in April when I get back.

Thanks again for your sewing skills and the laundry bag, a welcome addition on my current and future travels.

Cheers
.....



Dear Gail,
Firstly I’d like to say thank you very much for making my laundry bag. I love the design and I really appreciate the time that you have put into making it. What you guys do for us troops definitely does not go unnoticed and it is something that everyone here gets excited about when they receive their quilt or laundry bag. It is a piece that every member will keep for the rest of their lives even post service, which is special as it is something that every member can remember their trips by.
A little about myself: I am 22 years old and have been in the military (RAAF) for just over 3 years, and it has been such a great experience to date. To be posted back to Sydney has been great as it has enabled me to stay close to my family and friends that are close within the region.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to make my laundry bag. I’m truly appreciative and I hope you like my little gift to say thank you.

Best wishes,
......



Good evening Jenny,

First of all please forgive me for such a late reply to your lovely letter but today is my last night in AMAB heading home tomorrow and the past month has been crazy for me trying to complete a good handover for my replacement.

Thank You soooooo much for the amazing laundry bag, I have used it every single day since It arrived. You did such an amazing job loved the gorgeous camels with the long eyelashes, the anchors, poppies and how cool it looks. You ladies do such a magnificent job and we appreciate so much this beautiful gifts  you make for us.

I will would like to once again thank you for my beautiful Navy laundry back. Keep up the great work you do for us it really does make a difference and reminds us why we do what we do.


Muchas gracias Jenny!!!
.....

Hello!
Thanks so much for your most gracious gift.  The excitement of receiving any mail sends shock waves through our small detachment, everyone shares here and tells a story about what they got, who it is from and why.  I have walked around camp with my quilt... to some disgust, not rabbit supporters. Haa!!!   


People often send us things from home for many reasons, best of all is to know we are remembered.... the gift is almost irrelevant.  Saying this, I adore my quilt!!  We stay in tents here which are air conditioned to cold temperatures all year round, freezing!!  So my quilt is thrown across my bed to keep this old man warm.  Old bones they say. Haa!!  Almost.  I will use my quilt back home sitting in front of the fire and watching the game.  I’m an avid Hawthorn supporter too.


Why the rabbits?  One of my uncles played for them a while back.  He was a smooth player.  Since then, most of the community I’m from barrack for the bunnies. 


Life here is so unpredictable, things change on a dime and appropriate response is vital.  We are safe and well and happy.  I think everyone  feels lonely and has times of solidarity... just an escape, to ponder home and why we are here.  But there are friends made here for life too, people who you trust completely without really knowing them... strange feeling.

I trust your efforts with quilt making will continue and that many others will have the same joyous and thankful feelings you’ve given me while here.  It means more than you know....


Most Respectfully, 
.....

Hello Ellen, 

I've received the beautiful quilt and laundry bag, what a wonderful surprise, Thank you so much for your time and effort. 
I'm currently working in the medical centre as the front desk receptionist, and enjoying my role with the amazing medical team, I'm very fortunate to have such qualified team to work with. 

I've been in the Air Force for 4 years and this is my first deployment. I'm taking the opportunity to visit some places whilst I am here. Dubai is a growing City at the moment, with buildings constantly being built. It has the highest building in the world - Burj Khalifa (828m).

Please find attached a picture of myself with the beautiful quilt, I'm 50yrs old. It can be challenging at times working 6 days a week with long hours, but we are all here for higher purposes. We are lucky to live in Australia that's for sure. 

Thank you again Ellen

Very happy with your gifts 😊

Kind regards 
.....

Good morning Jan-Maree Ball,

Thank you very much for the awesome Marauder Map laundry bag. I have recently posted onto HMAS Hobart, and it is very cool to have a nicer bag than the white string bags to keep laundry in.

I am a fan of the Harry Potter book series, and the Marauder’s Map was one of the things that the movies captured the same magical feeling that the books presented.

I’m looking forward to a number of discussions with my mess mates as to which was better, the books or the movies (the books, IMHO, but I may be biased), so thank you in advance for choosing to make such a cool looking bag with a fun topic of discussion. 

Hope that this finds you well, and thank you again,
.....

G'Day Bridget,

Thank you so much for my quilt. I have been looking forward to it for a few months and you have not disappointed, it is amazing! Please pass on my gratitude to Jan-Maree and the team, it is great to see such a dedicated group commit so much time, care and effort to support deployed members. I would like to particularly thank and congratulate you for your service as a Nurse, which no doubt would have it's own challenges. 

I also am married with three young sons aged 6, 5 and 1. My wife is ex-military, which is how I believe she can run the household so effectively with three army brats causing utter chaos while I'm away. I have been in the military for over 14 years now (10 as a soldier before I commissioned as an Officer) and have been deployed five times.  Aussie Hero Quilts weren't around when I did all my deployments as a Soldier but I am grateful now to have a thoughtful home touch.

I sympathise with your son as I also hated highschool. I ended up taking a year off when I finished yr 12 before I joined the Army, which has been the best decision of my life. I am not plugging recruiting when I say this but defence has great opportunities to learn a trade and create life-long friendships, even for members who haven't finished highschool. Food for thought.

Thanks again for your support, it's greatly appreciated. If your son is interested in Defence and has any questions I am more than happy to assist.

Regards
.....

Hello Wendy,

I am one of the medics on-board HMAS Hobart. I’m writing to thank you for the fabulous laundry bag that I received this week courtesy of your quilting group. I love Alpacas and Cacti and fell in love with the bag as soon as I saw it! We are currently handing out all the bags from the sickbay so I personally get to see the pure excitement on the faces of all the crew when they come up to pick out their own bag.  I’m sure the bags will be a massive comfort and serve as a lovely reminder of home.

The sickbay was also lucky enough to receive personalised quilts for our hospital beds which look fantastic and really help brighten up and bring character to the space. Everyone who visits the sickbay comments on how amazing they look and I’m positive they will bring comfort to anyone that becomes unwell on our trips.

On behalf of HMAS Hobart we truly appreciate your thoughts and magnificent craftsmanship and hope that making them brought you as much enjoyment as it did to us.

Keep up your fantastic work!

Warmest of regards


.....

G’day Ruth,

Firstly, I would like to apologise for not writing to you sooner as my laundry bag arrived a good couple of weeks ago.

Please let me say a big thank you for my laundry bag. I absolutely love it. In fact, when I received it, I was showing it off to everyone that I could find. It’s perfect and I couldn’t be happier. I get the odd care pack from home with some goodies, but this was pretty special and way way better.

To be honest too, it arrived at the perfect time as my cheap $10 Big W was starting to fall apart (and I only purchased it prior to deploying).

Thank you again for the laundry bag and thank you for your service, it is very much appreciated.

Regards,
.....

Good Evening Beverly,

Your quilt is amazing! Thank you very much, it is amazing and as you can see it matches my laundry bag! We are dealing with snow, so this comes in very handy!

My wife and brother have been benefactors of your generosity in the past and these gifts give us a homely touch in a place so far from home.

Even little things mean then world to us, so something as large as this is amazing!

Thanks again and best of luck.
.....
Dear Jan-Maree

Heartfelt thanks to you and your amazing team.
XXX received his quilt this week, it’s amazing.
As the mother and MIL of 3 serving Captains who have all received the gift of laundry bags and quilts whilst deployed  I can’t thank you enough for the morale boost I see when they arrive.
Somehow the timing is always perfect.
With sincere admiration and gratitude 
.....

Hi Sue,

Thank you for the laundry bag and the treats!

I’m extremely happy with how it looks,  thank you for the time and effort that you have put into it. I’ll be using it in the coalition laundry area here, which will make it really identifiable and easy to pick up after a long day. Great to hear about the heavy rain coming in! I know it wold have helped with the other houses in the area and the fires.

Thanks again!
 .....

Till next time... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

Jan-Maree xx 

1 comment: