Wednesday 22 May 2019

VALE Major Aaron Couchman - New Zealand Army


Major Couchman was posted to HQ Joint Operations Command in Canberra and lived with his family in the city.

In February this year Major Aaron Couchman, from the New Zealand Defence Force was off duty when he was cycling on the Federal Highway and was struck by a car.  

I became aware of Major Couchman's death via posts on Facebook by several of my friends and it became apparent that he was highly regarded, very popular and would be sorely missed both here and by his colleagues back in New Zealand.  Of course, there was also the tragic impact his loss would have on his family. 

I have a great deal of respect for our ANZAC tradition and our relationship with our Kiwi brothers and sisters in arms.  Given that Major Couchman was serving alongside our defence members here when his life was taken, I was immediately moved to offer to provide a Fallen Warrior Quilt for Headquarters Joint Operations Command to present to the family. 

I had no sooner sent an email to make the offer to the Commander of HQ JOC (CJOPS), than I received a request for the same from a the wife of one of Major Couchman's colleagues. 

The offer was respectfully accepted by the CJOPS and a quilt was prepared.   HQJOC sent up two patches to add and we added the Kiwi and Roo to represent our ANZAC ties. 


Recently the quilt was presented to the family of Major Couchman and then I received a letter from Mrs Rachel Couchman, his wife.   Please note, this story and the email are being shared with the blessing of Rachel 
......

Hi Jan Maree

My name is Rachel Couchman and I am the wife of MAJ Aaron Couchman, the NZDF officer killed while out cycling at the beginning of February this year. Yesterday I was honoured and so humbled to receive the Aussie Hero Quilt that you and your team lovingly crafted in his memory, and to say that I am absolutely lost for words would be an understatement. No tears were shed in CJOPs office yesterday afternoon but when I bought it home and laid it out on my table so my son could see it, there were tears and then when I video called my Mum back in NZ to show her, there were more tears and they really haven’t stopped since (I’m in tears again now).

Poppies were an important symbol for Aaron as he was incredibly proud of his military service and we were just so incredibly proud of him. He actually had 2 poppies incorporated into a half sleeve tattoo on his right upper arm and we also have three large pieces of artwork predominantly featuring poppies, by an Australian artist, on the walls in our home here in Canberra, so the poppy theme of your quilt was just so appropriate. I’m still just so amazed that you thought of us and that you and your team took the time to create something just so beautiful and fitting, and I’m looking forward to the day when we return to New Zealand and can hang it with pride and love in the home that we shared together.

Thank you for thinking of us, for coordinating this and for leaving us with such a wonderfully fitting memento of Aaron’s time with the ADF – we were having such an adventure here and while it’s not ending how we planned, we will be leaving Canberra with fond memories of our time here, some fantastic new military family members and a permanent reminder of Aaron’s service and sacrifice.

With grateful and humble thanks,
Rachel, Kaitlyn and Brennan Couchman
.......

I know you will all join with me in offering the family and friends of MAJOR Aaron Couchman our sincere condolences on their loss and our very best wishes for their return to New Zealand and the future. 

Vale Major Aaron Couchman

Let We Forget. 


2 comments: