Tuesday 11 August 2020

Grati-Tuesday 11 Aug

That time of the week friends, where we get to relish in the messages filled with thanks and positivity and who doesn't need that in their life! 

A sincere thank you to each and every one of you who have contributed, and to those who have sent messages of gratitude or a picture of their beautiful new laundry bag or quilt. I see the difference you are making with each and every new creation.

Have a safe and happy week. Keep spreading the word and happy stitching! Alex
.... 

Good Afternoon Thelma,

Thank you very much for your letter and beautiful quilt that was delivered to me onboard HMAS Toowoomba during our recent deployment to the Middle East Region.

I apologies it has taken me so long to write to you. It was a busy trip away that came with plenty of challenges for myself and the crew I serve with.

Like those back home, we were certainly caught out by the COVID restrictions. We were confined to the ship for over 120 days whilst undertaking our duties of freedom of navigation through. None the less, we worked through our challenges and became quite a family. Mail was incredibly important to us and my team would often organised flights with the helicopters to go and get the mail for everybody. It didn't matter who you were, the receipt of packages kept us going.

It cannot be understated how important your packages were to me. The fact that you had taken the time to create such an impressive work of art and write the letter meant a lot. I would often sleep under your quilt, especially as the days got hotter in the Middle East.

Again, thank you so much! I hope you are well.

Kind Regards
.... 

Good Afternoon Sally,

I came into work today and received your package with my Quilt. Thank you so much.

I have a son who is nearly 7 years old. Being in the Army I go away a fair bit. Weather wise it is extremely hot here all the time night and day; we have had the occasional storm which was weird to thunderstorms in the desert and we have also seen the odd dust storm.

Once again thank you to you and all at AHQ, you all really are the true heroes and what you all do is bloody amazing. So please send my thanks and kind regards to all of you involved which means the world to all of us over here and any moral big or small helps.

Kind regards.
.... 

Dear Heather,

Thank you so much for the package with the handmade quilt. It is fantastically made and brighten up my deployment when I received it. I am very happy with the quilt and am surprised in the level of detail that went into the quilt.

We had extensive lockdowns due to COVID-19 but everyone is battling through, just the same as family and friends back home in Australia.

I hope you, your family and friends are all safe and well.

I am currently posted to RAAF base in Queensland when not deployed to the Middle East area of operations. I have been here since the beginning of the year, so acutally nearing the end of my tenure.

Once again, thank you for the quilt. It was definitely a nice surprise. 

Yours sincerely,

 

.... 

From the Facebook page:

Hi Guys,

I hope this finds you well. I am a member of the Royal Australian Army currently deployed on Operation Resolute. I just wanted to say thank you. I have recently received a laundry bag made by Ann and it has been an absolute lifesaver as I didn't have a laundry bag, and was really keen to get my hands on one. Ann has saved my bacon and I can't thank you guys and her enough. All the guys on our rotation are now using your laundry bags.


.... 


Hi Jan-Maree,

Very sorry about the lateness, we actually received them a couple of weeks ago. But I was sent home at short notice around the same time to spend time with my family and only returned to work yesterday.

But I did want to thank you so very much for the quilts and laundry bags, the crew absolutely lvoed them! They are blown away by the quality and the personalised touch, and to say you've made their day would be an understatement.

Regards

.... 


Dear Clarissa,

I am writing in appreciation of the laundry bags you've lovingly made and posted to me. I have helped hand them out to the soldiers and sailors and airmen who are deploying on border checkpoints supporting health directions and policing operations.

I am a logistics officer in charge of ADF logistic support to operation  COVID. I've prepared the soldiers by issuing them with equipment and prepared accommodation and rations for them. It gives me such pleasure now to 'issue' them with a bag full of love, thoughts and thanks from Aussie Hero ladies (and gents).

I have seen ~200 laundry bags now and I chose yours to keep for myself. I've left my husband behind in our home in Victoria, so I kept the Flinders St Station, Trams and St Kilda's Luna Park themed bag to remind me of home. 

Your messages of love and support have been very humbling, thanks again for making the effort to make and post them to us, it is greatly appreciated.

P.S. thank you for stepping up into the admin role whilst Jan-Maree is having treatment, we really appreciate the continued support.

.... 


Dear Toni,

Thanks so much for such a useful gift! Laundry is sure something that is a constant requirement over here however your gift is far too good to be used for that!

I, instead have found a better use for it, as a wall hanging to brighten up our drab living space. It works like a beautiful picture and is a feature of my room.

So love the way you made it given my poor instructions. 

Thanks so much.

.... 


Hello Clarissa,

Thank you for taking the time to make my laundry bag. You have done a fantastic job. It looks great. 

Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself. It's nice to know something about the lovely people who give their free time for serving overseas.

A little bit about me. I've been posted to NSW for the last eleven years and I live with my wife and son who turns one next month.

Again thank you for your work and generosity. I hope you stay safe and well in these Covid-19 times.

Kindest regards,

.... 


Hi Jenny,

I am the wife of one of the recipient's of your lovely quilt you have made. We are overwhelmed by your gesture and I wanted to thank you myself. I am a quilter myself, more-so prior to having kids as time is not in my favour with 3 boys. I know the time and effort that goes into making a quilt and wanted you to know it is appreciated. 

Thanks again.

.... 


Dear Heather,


I am writing in appreciation of the laundry bags you've lovingly made and posted to me. We handed them out to Soldiers who are deploying on border checkpoints, supporting health directions and policing operations. 

I'm the logistics officer in charge to support Operation Covid Assist. I've prepared the Soldiers deploying by issuing them with equipment and preparing accommodation and rations for them, it gives me great pleasure now to 'issue' them with a bag full of love, thoughts and thanks and support from the Aussie Hero Ladies (and gents)!

I still have my personalised laundry bag I recieved when I was in the Middle East and used frequently, I still take it away on courses, and deployments (such as now).

Your messages of love and support have been humbling, thanks again for making the effort to make and post them to us, it is greatly appreciated.

I really enjoyed opening your package, truly beautiful designs!

Thank you.

.... 


Hi Ruth,

I am chef on a patrol boat in QLD. Just sending you a thank you email in regards to the laundry bags you have provided me over the years. I really appreciate them especially the indigenous designs on my last one was awesome as I am aboriginal and do a lot of representative work culturally in the Navy and I'm also very thankful for your appreciation of my service in the RAN.

Keep up the great work!

Also FYI all team love they're laundry bags as well.

.... 


Hilary,

Hope this email finds you well. 

We are currently, off the East of Australia, conducting training in preparation for a potential operational deployment.

Our ship is based in Western Australia. I live there with my family 4 sons and a step daughter.

I just wanted to thank you for the laundry bag and the vintage design which caught my eye.

I appreciate the effort and time put into the design and creation. It hangs up in my cabin onboard ship.

Again thank you. Your good deed is certainly being used with great effect.

.... 


Dear Ruth,

I recently received one of your lovely laundry bags and wanted to just drop you a line to say thank you. I must admit to having a tear in my eye when I opened the package and saw it. It is truly a work of art and I am very honoured to have recieved one.

I was deeply touched that you and your colleagues are thinking of not only me but all our wonderful service men and women. It makes all the hardship endured worthwhile to know that one's service is appreciated.

Please keep up the good work. The many hours no doubt spent making these laundry bags and giving them a personal touch are very much appreciated and will be treasured by all those who receive them.

Warm Regards

.... 


Dear Rita,

Hello, it was pleasure to receive your letter. I have been in the ADF Australian Army for three years now. I am a Transport Troop Commander and currently working as a logistics planner in support of Covid19. I am unsure as to how much longer our involvement with Covid19 is.

I have recently begun sewing and am throughly enjoying it, however have a lot still to learn. Aussie Hero Quilts sounds fantastic, and your work and contribution prove that.  The laundry bags recieved are very beautifully crafted and each person who has received one has very much appreciated it.

I hope that you are keeping safe and healthy within the current environment.

.... 


Good Morning Ruth,

Thank you very much for my laundry bag, it's fantastic and has certainly brightened my day. It's something that will accompany me for many years to come during my exercises and deployments with RAAF.

It's nice to have the sacrifices that we make recognised. I very much appreciate the effort that all who are involved in Aussie Hero Quilts and Laundry Bags go to.

My children, daughter 10, and son 6, both said 'it's awesome', so ticks of approval all around.

Once again, thank you. Warm regards.

.... 


Hello Rita,

Nice to meet you. I am from New South Wales.

Thank you for your kind letter and I can't forget the amazing laundry bag. What amazing colours and patterns. To answer some of your questions, I have been in the ADF for 2.5 years, but I already feel like I have achieved so much. We have currently been in New South Wales for 3 weeks and at this stage we only have a short time to go.

A little bit about myself, I am originally from the UK and moved over to Australia with my family. I don't have any children and no fur babies (yet). I'm looking to get a kitten and a mini dachshund one day. My grandma taught me how to sew when I was 8 and I did it throughout high school, one day I will get my own and maybe join AHQ's.

I do not come from a military family but my brother joined the RAAF about 7 years ago, so I guess I followed in his footsteps.

Thank you again, for the amazing bag and the amount of effort you put into it. I'm sure all the bags receive the same amount of love.

All the best and take care.

.... 


Dear Rita

I am an Army Officer deployed on Operation Covid Assist in the Northern Territory. We've been very fortunate to have less cases than other states - the police check points on borders and bio-security zones around vulnerable communities have been effective, but we are still ready for other cases and will help the Police, man the check points for a few months to go.

My speciality is in logistics - I organise the vehicles, accommodation and equipment etc and I requested a batch of laundry bags to distribute to the next rotation. 

I was very impressed with your package, it was the first to arrive and the largest. I loved the material selection, it was very kind of you to add a note. I showed them to the HQ Staff beforehand and they were greatly admired, they thought it was Christmas.

Your laundry bags were given to an army team and a RAAF team, both deployed to border checkpoints. They'll be away from home for some time and they were pleased to be the first to receive the special package.

I just wanted to say thank you for putting in the effort to make and post them. More so, thank you for showing that you care about what we do, its a privilege to serve and the support of others on the home front make it easier to do what we do.

.... 


Good Morning Sheena,

I'm just emailing you to let you know I received both my quilt and laundry bag. 

The look great and have already helped me heaps since being here.

You and your volunteers have done amazing work. Thank you for making my deployment that much brighter and colourful.

Cheers

.... 


Bonjour Pennie,

I learnt French at school but that's about all I can remember now, I hope you're doing better than I am.

Thank you for taking time and effort to make a quilt for me and put together a package, it's very much appreciated and will be a unique, treasured memento from my time away. I wasn't sure what to expect (I've never had my very own quilt made for me before) but it's better than I could have ever imagined and I really appreciate you incorporating all of my requests.

I was intrigued to see how it would turn out and it's great, you've really done a fantastic job. 

Thank you very much for your kind words. Your contribution to making my time (and others) away from home easier cannot be underestimated, everyone always gets very excited when a quilt shows up. 

Hopefully things get back to normal soon.

Thank you again,

.... 


Dear Thelma,

Merci Beaucoup for my beautiful Paris quilt. I absolutely love it and I am so excited to have it as a memento for my time in service. It seriously is just perfect! I did do 25 years in the RAAF with deployments to Asia and the Middle East. 

Thanks for sharing a little of your story.  I am 47 and mum to a 13 year old boy and a crazy fur-rescue Labradoodle. 

I left the military 3 years ago due to health reasons but have recently taken a part time pastoral care role at a Girls High School as a mentor looking after Defence Force kids. My partner has done 40 years in the Navy. I have always admired his quilts and that some of my girlfriends and was sad my deployments were in a time when quilts and care packages weren't sent. I am thrilled to now have my own special quilt.

Thanks once again.

.... 


Hello Dear Sue,

Thank you for this beautiful quilt. It most certainly has coloured my world. There are not a lot of moments that make me think of home so often, but this quilt is going to make me wish I was under a gum tree watching the birds. 

The time and effort, thought and consideration that gone into this quilt is worthy of it's own medal of honor!

Thank you for thinking of me sending it all this way. All the best to you.

A little bit about myself, I am originally from Melbourne. Four years in the Military - I am a RAAF Officer. Currently living in South Australia with my partner and their dogs.

Cheers,

.... 


Hi Ellen,

I was the lucky recipient of the lovely horse quilt and laundry bag you made for me as part of Aussie Hero Quilts. Thank you so much! We all look forward to receiving our quilts while here and everyone also loves seeing all the different styles and designs we get. Your time and effort that you put in is truly appreciated and I will certainly cherish it.

A little about me, I am a Corporal in the RAAF. This is the first deployment I have been on since joining the ADF in 2014. It was a difficult decision to make to come here, I leave my 2 1/2 year old daughter at home with my husband and two dogs. This is by far the longest time I have been away from her but we try and video call whenever possible, and photos are sent everyday.

I live in Western Australia, my husband is also in the RAAF. I grew up in WA so it is really nice to be back in the West and near the beautiful beaches again. Before we came to Perth, we were in Northern Territory, very remote and very hot (although not nearly as hot as being in the Middle East in summer)!.

We enjoy camping, we drove from NT to WA for our posting with a 10 month old baby and our two Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs. We had a camper trailer and loved finding all the free camp sites along the WA coast. My husband would love to do the trip up to Far North QLD. I'm guessing it must be something about my husband trying to catch fish - he says he's a fisherman but I've never actually seen him catch anything :)

I hope you and your family are staying safe. Once again, I would like to thank you for the beautiful quilt you made for me, I'm on a day off today which means I can have a sneaky nap in the afternoon, you can be assured I'll be using my quilt while doing so :)

Kind Regards.

.... 

Dear Beverley,

Thank you so much for the wonderful quilt you made for me. I can't believe how beautiful your craft is! I was lucky enough to have the quilt turn up on the same day as my 28th birthday. How lucky is that?

I'll start with a bit of my story. I am an RACT officer currently deployed as a Troop Commander. My team has had the challenge over the last five or so months of effecting movements in the Middle East and neighbouring theatres amid a raft of heavy restrictions thanks to COVID. While it has certainly been a challenge it has also been a very rewarding experience; building new processes from the ground up and doing our best to get sick men and women home from countries all over the Middle East where poor health facilities put our people at extreme risk.

Sadly, I wasn't able to visit my loved ones on recreational leave during my deployment because of the pandemic. This will mean that by the time I finish my isolation back in Australia, it will have been seven and a half months since I've seen them - and that's provided I'm permitted to leave my state. I am very much looking forward to returning home and taking a long holiday to drive around the countryside and go on many hikes with my partner.

My partner and I are huge animal lovers, she especially is a nature nut. She has spent most of her career working between animal shelters and studying conservation whilst fostering various animals until they find more permanent homes. As soon as I received the note in the mail with the quilt, I took a photo of it and sent it to her. Needless to say, she was excited. We hope to move away from the metropolitan apartment life some day and purchase a property somewhere west of the city, where we can care for some animals of our own. I understand the RSPCA are always looking for people to care for 'less conventional' animals including cows and horses.

If you were ever wondering why cows or capybara for the quilt, well the answer is simple! My partner has Scottish heritage, and has long loved the woolly highland  cattle breeds, while I have a certain affection for the placid nature of the capybara; an oversized rodent that gets along with absolutely anyone!

I have a dog back home. She turns 15 this year and while she's pretty active, she too is getting a touch of the 'doggy dementia', although I think that's just because she 'forgets' when she's last had a treat and begs for more. She's still getting her little Maltese head around technology - I've FaceTimed her a few times and she responds well to my voice but can't seem to work out where I am in the room.

It's been an absolute pleasure to be of service to my country and to the amazing people back home like yourself. Stay strong and stay positive in these strange times. I'm sure it will be a long time until the world will go back to the way it was. I wish you, and your family the best for the future regardless of what challenges it throws at us.

When written in Chinese, the word 'Crisis' consists of two characters. One represents 'Danger' and the other represents 'Opportunity' - John F. Kennedy.

Thank you again.


.... 

Good Morning Bev,

I wanted to say a huge thank you for my quilt. It suits me perfectly as I do love pink and shabby chic look. 

Unfortunately for me I have only seen pictures of the quilt as I am currently deployed to Victoria on Operation Covid19 Assist, but look forward to seeing it in person when I return home next month. I have only ever made small wall hanging quilts before and know just how much hard work goes into making a full sized quilt.

Receiving the quilt made my day and I am so touched by your kindness and generosity. I can assure you I will treasure my quilt always.

Thank you so much again.
.... 

Hi Tamsin,

I am the lucky recipient of your wonderful bag you created. I am deployed on Covid Assist helping with NSW Police with the checkpoint tasks across NSW. As you can imagine the bag already has come in handy. I will be making great use of it. I am also an assistant / volunteer of AHQs and Jan-Maree, albeit in the background somewhat. I wish to thank you for this great gift and wish you all the best in the future.

Stay safe, well and warm.

Kind regards.

.... 

Afternoon Kate,

I recieved my laundry bag today and it was amazing, as soon as I saw the Marvel fabric I was already impressed with it. As I pulled the bag out of the box it just got better. I am absolutely over the moon with it and there's nothing I would change as it is perfect, pretty sure it's the best bag in our building.

I am still so impressed with your work, I've seen a lot of bags and quilts come in over the weeks and seen how much hard work has gone into these bags and quilts. I'm proud and impressed with the work that you have done to bring these bags and quilts to all of us so far away from home.

The weather here is not the greatest, as it's 40-45 nearly everyday and low 30's at night, and I'm not a fan of the heat even though I'm normally to Northern Territory, you'd think I'd be used to the heat. I love the cold weather.  My dogs love the beach, I'll be taking them there when I get home, one of my dogs is older and wiser so she listens but my boofhead younger dog doesn't listen so much. 

I have heard the news back home about the borders closing and Victoria going to stage 4 now I think from memory. I hope NT doesn't become a hot spot, but at the moment sounds like the whole East Coast is closing their borders because of the massive spikes. I did see the news about a few people making trouble for police at borders and people sneaking in. As a result, we may have to stay a little longer so I'm hoping this doesn't happen when it comes to my time to come home.

Thank you again for the laundry bag as I'm still amazed with your work and best bag by far I reckon.

Cheers!

.... 

Dear Wendy,

I was the lucky one to receive your beautiful quilt. I was deployed to the Middle East for six months over 2018 - 2019 and recieved your quilt at the end of my rotation just days before I left.


I wanted to say a very big thank you for the beautiful work you put into making my quilt, especially the last minute poppy detail, I absolutely loved it.

Receiving a quilt is such a joy for the deployed troops and there is so much appreciation from all of us for the time and effort people like you put into this wonderful cause.

I can't thank you enough, it definitely put a big smile on my face, when I opened up the parcel.

Hope you are keeping well through this crazy time, we are all facing at the moment.

Thank you again, Kind Regards.
.... 

Good Morning Joy all the way from Africa,

Yesterday I helped with the mail dispersal, totally not expecting anything and to my surprise was a box with my name on it! It was my Aussie Hero Quilt! I have only been here for a few weeks but it still made my day!

Thank you so much to the ladies that worked on my quilt and laundry bag, if you knew me well you'd know I love flowers and the colour pink!


To Leanne, 

Wow! What a special quilt to present for his 22 years of service. He has served at 12 different bases/barracks in Australia. The overseas deployment have ranged from 5 to 6.

Regards.

.... 

Dear Alison,

The parcel did find me safe and well and I cannot be more over the moon with the results of the hard effort you went through to make this. I'm very grateful for it.

I am married, my wife and I have a daughter who will be 7 months old this month. My wife works for the government and is studying to be a midwife, we are currently posted in Northern Territory, I've lived there for many years before enlisting to the Army.

As a truckie in the Army I do like the old Macks. Now we have got the new fleet that is oversized for our roads and we need new permits nearly every few weeks. I have to say the Mack 'doggy style' is a good name. I think it's classic. I will be looking at driving trucks back in the civilian world once I get out of the Army at some point.

The princesses are fantastic as they are the classic Disney princesses, once my little one gets older, I'll introduce her to the Classic Disney characters and hopefully she gets into it. I still can't believe the quilt travelled all over to be made, it makes it extra special that so many people helped to make this happen.

I cannot wait to get home, I still have 2 months to go before I can go home. Then I would have completed my 6 month trip. With covid we didn't get any leave in between my trip so I didn't get to go home to see my wife and little girl, which wasn't good at all but we kept out heads up and were nearly there. I've got my first hand and foot paintings on the wall from my daughter which puts a smile on my face every time I see them.

Cheers.

.... 

Hi Alison,

Thank you so much for the quilt. It is much appreciated. The length on it is perfect covering my feet (I'm 6'2). The design and handiwork is very impressive. I've done a bit of sewing in the past (only repairing things) and know the amount of effort that went into this. You have done extremely well. Till it's arrival we have been sleeping in winter sleeping bags. As it's now summer they are too warm. The quilt fits the bill perfectly. 

My mother is a teacher in South Australia at a primary school. Dad used to drive trucks when we were younger but changed paths to a fitter and turner before retiring last year. They own small acreage. I'm hoping after the deployment to move back down there having done three years in Northern Territory.

I hope yourself and family are doing well during the covid pandemic. We see it on the news regularly here. Hopefully it's just the media exaggerating but keep safe.

Once again, thank you very much.
 
.... 

Ladies,

I'd like to introduce myself. I am a Bombardier from Western Australia.

I was fortunate enough to learn of your work recently by recieving a laundry bag after supporting Operation BushFire Assist this year in South Australia.

What a wonderful idea and great support you are giving to serving members who also 'just want to help'.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your efforts and I'd like you to know my laundry bag will be used well and travelled well.

Thank you again, trust you are well.

Regard.

.... 

Hello Joan

I have just recieved your beautifully crafted quilt and I am beyond thrilled at how it turned out and cannot thank you enough. 

Thank you again for your efforts and I hope you're staying safe with everything that is going on in the world.

Regards.

.... 

Thank you Clarissa,

I received the laundry bag for my deployment on the NSW border checkpoint. This bag will get plenty of use, as I didn't pack a laundry bag. I haev been in the Navy for over 26 years. Having been on numerous operations deployment including South Asia, and four trips to the Middle East.

My family and I moved over to ACT after 14 years in Western Australia. My wife works part time as an assistant in Education. Our two boys, 11 and 8 enjoy living on the East Coast and visiting with my sister.

We had chickens and two Avocado trees in WA. I built a two story cubby house with a working elevator and balcony next to the avocado tree. The boys would pick the avocado to sell at a local cafe or through gumtree for pocket money.

Our border force are working with state police. It has been snowing and will again, I'm sure.

Kind Regards.




No comments:

Post a Comment