Wednesday 29 January 2020

Rotary Club of Pennant Hills Australia Day Celebration Meeting .... Guest Speaker

Tonight I had the privilege of speaking at the Rotary Club of Pennant Hills Australia Day Celebration Dinner.  After a lovely meal I was invited to take the microphone and tell the Aussie Hero Quilts story.   Aided by Bev F who controlled the Powerpoint for me I spoke for about half an hour and then whilst Bev held them up I spoke about several of our quilts and laundry bags.  My presentation was well received and then the program moved on to the last formality of the night, the introduction and presentation of the 2020 Australia Day Merit Award.  

The speaker explained that the award is presented to someone in the local community who has made a contribution to the community in some manner.   

The Honourable Phillip Ruddock (now the Mayor of Hornsby) and the District Governor of Rotary, Kalma McLellan came forward to present the award and then they asked me to come forward to RECEIVE it! I had absolutely NO IDEA.  


The program holds a list of previous recipients which includes people like Kay Cottee AO, Ian Kiernan OAM and and the incredible Nancy-Bird Walton OBE. 


What an absolute honour and how very very special to be honoured in such a way in my own local community.   Whilst the plaque has my name on it the truth is that Aussie Heroes is a team and without the team we would be nowhere so really the award is for all of us to share. 



A heartfelt thank you to the Rotary Club of Pennant Hills for recognising our work in such a special way.  I am humbled to be included in such a very special group.

Till next time... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

Jan-Maree xx

1 comment: