Tuesday 1 December 2020

Grati-Tuesday 1st December 2020

 Well, silly season has officially arrived.. I'd be fibbing if I said it's the first time we've seen the shopping madness this year. 

However, hopefully this time 'round it's more of the traditional December crazy, or better yet, a little less of the crazy and a little more of the safe social distanced new 'norm'.

I know, when it comes to December, excuses to celebrate, or a cheeky catch up can be plentiful, but I hope wherever you are, this time of year is happy, healthy and safe. 

For now, settle in, and check out these gorgeous notes of thanks and a few fabulous photos.

Alex :)

.... 


Hello Ruth,

Thank you so very much for such an amazing gift. I am deployed to Asia as the Staff Officer to the Deputy Commander. I am a Lieutenant in the Royal Australian Navy and live in Western Australia with my partner. I have three children, 25, 21 and 20 years old.

I could not have asked for a better laundry bag! You have done an amazing job putting it together, and I am very touched by your generosity. I actually got a little emotional when I realised what it was in the parcel.

It definitely did brighten my day, thank you!

I am currently temporarily deployed to the Middle East - embedded in US Army as the Aide-de-Camp. Luckily, the postmaster forwarded your parcel to me. I received it on my second week I was here. I have a few months remaining of my deployment, which should go quite quickly, with Christmas not far away. 

With support from people like you, Ruth, our time goes that little bit more quicker and it makes our time up here so much more bearable.

I wish you, your family a very merry Christmas. Thank you again for an amazing laundry bag!

All the best.

.... 


Hi Clarissa,

I received the lovely laundry bag, you sewed for me and I just wanted to send you a quick email to express my gratitude.

Aussie Hero Quilts is well known amongst many members of the ADF, and I can certainly say that even before we deployed, many of the soldiers (including myself), who were deploying for the first time were already talking about how excited they were to now be able to request a bag or quilt from your team of amazing volunteers. It is certainly something that is really looked forward to on a soldier's first deployment.

The laundry bag is beautiful, you have done a wonderful job. It's so nice to be able to carry my laundry around in something other than the tatty blue bags we get given!

I really enjoyed reading a bit about yourself and your family. My husband is a nurse currently working in Defence as Nursing officer, while I am currently studying law with a view to become a Legal Officer in the Army once I've finished. 

Clarissa, thank you again for the time and effort you, and your fellow volunteers put into making quilts and laundry bags for our deployed forces. Please know that we receive them and show them off to each other with so much joy and excitement.

Best wishes to you and your family for a lovely Christmas.

Thanks again

.... 


Dear Rhonda and Ralph,

You two absolute bloody legends.

Your two packages arrived safely and unexpectedly. I have no words to pass on my appreciation and gratitude. I'll be thanking Jan-Maree for her kind nomination. Nothing beats receiving a care package to get you through long tours away from home and loved ones, except for unexpected care packages. Especially ones of the caliber you have arranged and sent.

What you do to support troops overseas makes a significant difference and makes it the time away more bearable. Thank you for everything you have done, for every stitch you've put in. 

Continue being incredible!

I am currently living in Northern Territory with my wife of seven months and our pup. When I get back home we'll be moving to Victoria.

From me, and everyone who has benefitted from your kindness, thank you, thank you. 

Kind Regards

.... 


Hi Beverley,

I received the lovely quilt you sewed for me and I just wanted to send you a quick email to express my gratitude. The quilt is absolutely beautiful, you have done a wonderful job and I cannot believe how quickly you sewed it! I will treasure it always as a beautiful memento of my time deployed to the Middle East. 

Aussie Hero Quilts is well known amongst many members of the ADF, and I can certainly say that even before we deployed, many of the Soldiers (including myself) who were deploying for the first time were already talking about how excited they were to now be able to request a bag or a quilt from your team of amazing volunteers. It is certainly something that is really looked forward to on a Soldier's first deployment.

I have been lucky to do some traveling in Australia both with the Army and in my own time, but now that international travel is so uncertain, my husband and I have plans to spend some more time traveling Australia - we currently live in Queensland, so we are going to make the most of being up north for the next few months after I get home.

Beverley, thank you again for the time and effort you and your fellow volunteers put into making quilts and laundry bags, for our deployed forces. Please know that we receive them and show them off to each other with so much joy and excitement.

Best wishes to you and your family for a lovely Christmas. 

Thanks again

.... 


Dear Clarissa,

Thank you for investing your valuable time to make such a cheerful and perfectly practical laundry bag. I love the dachshund fabric and I couldn't be happier with the result. The laundry bag has plenty of character and personality (not unlike it's new owner)!

I have been following the 'Aussie Hero Quilts (and Laundry Bags)' blog through Facebook for a while. My heart skipped a beat when I spotted the dachshund bag and I hoped that it would be for me! 

I also love the letter you sent me. It is fascinating to read that such an enormous amount of work is coordinated by such a small number of administrators! It is quite heart-warming to hear that so many people are willing to offer their time so freely out of kindness for others. Thank you to you all. It really does mean a lot.

I live in Victoria with my husband, and 8 year old son, and our very affectionate brown sausage dog. I miss them all so very much, and I can't wait to be with them again. 

I hope you and your family continue to stay safe and well during these crazy COVID19 times. You are quite an inspiration! I am amazed by all the work you do.

Take care and many thanks once again. You are a good soul.

.... 


Hi Catherine and Sally,

Happy to let you know that the quilt arrived safe and sound and the timing could not have been better, having it arrive on Remembrance Day just added to the special feelings that came with this excellent gift.

It brought a tear to my eye, as I reflected on the young soldiers that never came home during my time in the Middle East, standing next to your quilt draped over my lounge, as I listened to the last post this morning. I cannot thank you both enough for this great gift and the ongoing work you do for our deployed defence personnel.

The workmanship that Sally and her team put into the quilt is outstanding and the pictures and graphics are spot on, especially the tank which is the correct one. Sally you hit the mark for sure. My wife, was equally impressed with your skill. Please pass on my thanks to all the ladies on your team, your Blockateers and the Garage girls all do a fantastic job!

My wife and I are heading off to Queensland for an Army reunion weekend soon and to spend time with my eldest son and his family. He is a Sergeant. I served in Northern Territory in the mid 90's, I look forward to showing off the picture of my quilt to my son and his wife.

I am smiling from how happy I am with your gift.

Thank you so much, this means so much to an old Soldier.

.... 


Good Morning Joy,

I received the most amazing quilt in the mail last week and to say I was speechless is an understatement. Thank you so much for the opportunity, as I thought I'd never get the chance to get one. 

You and your teams of quilters are such an amazing bunch of people. To do this out of the kindness of your own hearts warms mine in return.

Thank you again,

Warm Regards.

.... 


Dear Jan-Maree and Joy,

I would like to thank you both very much for the quilt I received the other day. It was arranged by my son, under the veterans with 30+ years of service.

I completed 24 years in the permanent Air Force and 14 years in the Active Reserve. My initial service was as a AEO/Navigator and my Reserve time was an Operation Officer. I also did 7 deployments to the Middle East in support of the AP3-C Orion detachment.

Your organisation does a wonderful job for the morale and well being of our serving and deployed personnel. My three sons and nephew have all received quilts from you whilst on deployment.

I love the quilt you sent. You got the theme absolutely right. Would you please also thank Inge for the work she did.

Once again, thank you for all the quilt and the work that you do.


.... 


Dear Georgina,

Let me start by thanking you for the quilt, I absolutely love it! I was starting to get worried that a quilt was never coming as the other people I am deployed with all received theirs a couple of months ago. This is partly due to COVID as I see you wrote the letter over a month ago (some mail has taken up to 7-8 weeks to arrive). But I have to say, it was well worth the wait.

Let me start with a little about myself. I am 28 years old and have served eight years in the Army. Unlike when you wrote my letter with clouds rolling by with some stormy rain days, it is now a pleasant 30 degrees daily here (unlike the 55 degree days when I first arrived). I am currently deployed to the Middle East on an American base, where I work daily missions into other middle eastern countries.

I am currently posted to Queensland where I live with my wife. We met at school so we were childhood sweethearts. She grew up with half a zoo and she always says to me that one day she wants to live in a house with some land so she can have chickens, a veggie patch and a cow.

As a child I grew up moving all over the country. I lived in Queensland, New South Wales, Northern Territory and South Australia. It's usually at this point where a lot of people say 'were your parents in Defence?' but they actually managed hotels all around Australia, so I grew up living around resorts my whole life (I know, it was a hard up bringing).

I actually video called my wife after I received the quilt to show her. She didn't actually know anything about the quilt and before I told her she said, 'Oh that's a cool pattern'. In all honesty though, the quilt has come at the right time. It is a nice little pick me up, for what has been a long deployment without a break. Your letter really brightened my day (and when I read it to my wife, she teared up), and I really do appreciate all the work you have put into it. 

I know these are called Hero Quilts but I feel as though you guys are the heroes. To give up your time, money and hard work for something you don't have to do is something I find inspiring and am truly grateful for.

Thank you again for all the hard work you put into this, you should be proud of what you do.

.... 


Dear Sue,

I'd like to thank you wholeheartedly for the time and effort it took you to make this amazing cover. And I'd also like to thank you for taking time to write me that letter and telling me a bit about yourself.

So let me introduce myself. I am 23 years old and from Queensland. I joined the Army when I was 17 and am currently thinking of doing something else when I get back. I plan to travel through Europe (Covid depending) so fingers crossed I can manage that at some point, though I have even thought of doing New Zealand if our travel is permitted there soon. Currently I have one daughter who is 8 months old, and I love her to death, and miss her everyday, so I'm very keen to come home and see how much she's grown as she was so little when I left. I hope someday to meet someone I can truly settle down with, though in the meantime I will just enjoy life and travel if I can and be there for my girl as much as I can.

I'd like to just thank you again for the Quilt you've made and thanks again for writing me this letter.

Wishing you well.

.... 


Hello Joy,

Thank you so much for my Hero Quilt!

I love that you have added the fishing theme and then I keep finding new bits to love like the subtle Christmas material in one section.

I am currently deployed as Force Protection officer to the Middle East. This is a peacekeeping mission and my 6th deployment. Every other time I have left it too late, and just get jealous seeing the other guys and their quilts, so I made sure I jumped on it this time around.

My wife also serves and she has just given birth to our first child. I am really thankful for modern technology. I can call on my phone and see her on video. My great grandfather used to tell stories how he saw his wife and kid twice during the five years he was away for WW2 and one of those time was as they passed by a train station. It's tough not being able to meet my daughter yet, but nothing like those that have gone before me.

Your quilt and letter really brought some comfort from Australia. Thank you for taking the time to use your talents in such a meaningful way.

.... 


Hey Shirley

I am a Signaller from 3rd Combat Signals Regiment.

I just wanted to send you an email, thank you for one of your laundry bags I received on Operations. I appreciate the effort you and AHQ do to support us and I hope you are doing well during the time of COVID.

Regards

.... 


Good Evening Tamsin and Peter,

Words can't describe how grateful we all are for your thoughts and wishes. We are currently serving as part of the COVID Assist task group in Western Australia for the remainder of the year. Manning the COVID hotels is definitely a lot different from maintaining aircraft, that's for sure. Although we will be here for several months to come, the objective we strive to achieve is a whole hearted one. This will be my first Christmas and New Years away from home. The days spent away are tough at times, however, the joy we see when families are reunited with loved ones from overseas makes it all worth it.

It's no secret that as soon as I saw the bright red poppy themed laundry bag, I knew it was for me. Being an Avionics technician I've travelled to a few destinations overseas and within our borders, however this is the first time I've seen and heard of your organisation. Aussie Hero Quilts are doing great work and it is very appreciated. It reminds us that we aren't forgotten being over here and keeps us going until we get to see our loved ones again. 

I only wish that some day, my actions can make my family (and you) proud. 

Thank you again for your efforts and kind words, it's people like you that make me proud to be Australian and in the Australian Defence Force.

Kind Regards

.... 


Hi Shirley,

I want to thank you for the effort you have put in to make these laundry bags, they will definitely come in handy.

Now I should probably put a load of washing on, thanks again, for the bag.

Have a lovely day.

 

.... 


Good Morning Bronwyn,

Thank you very much for the quilt. 

It was a highlight of my day. I am amazed it is so beautiful and the detail is amazing. My partner will love it as well as she loves dragons. This will go into our caravan when I return home on our bed. Thank you so much for all the effort you have gone to in order to complete this for me.

Some background on myself; I joined the Royal Australian Army in 1985, a young 17 year old from Tasmania. Served 6 years in the Army and then transferred to RAAF where I continue to serve.

I have completed 35 years this year and still love my job. To me, it's a way of life. This is my 6th deployment over my career and I am currently located in the Middle East. I am serving in a joint unit with both Army and Navy personnel working in the Communications field. So TCE-1 stands for Task Communications Element. I am halfway through this rotation to be home next year.

I am based in Victoria, and have been based there for the last 12 years. We live with my partners 12 year old grandson. I am looking forward to getting home, as I miss my family.

Kindest Regards


.... 


From the Facebook Page;

You are incredible Jan-Maree. Thanks so much from the Coalition Task Force SENTINEL Bahrain, with UK Commodore, US Senior Chief and fantastic Australian colleagues.


.... 


Good Morning Rhonda,

I was a recipient of one of your laundry bags!! I just wanted to personally thank you for this and say that I'm extremely grateful for the work you've put into this.

I loved reading your letter. I hope you enjoy the festive season and manage to squeeze in some family time if it's possible.

I'd like to once again thank you, for your time and the laundry bag I received!

.... 


Good Afternoon Jenny,

I am based in Northern Territory. I am an Avionics Technician, which is basically an electrician working on aircrafts. I am currently on deployment in Western Australia for operation Covid19 Assist.

I have been in Northern Territory for about 2 years and in the Air Force for almost 4 years. I would like to thank you for making this wonderful laundry bag and it definitely made my day. 

Thank you so much for your support.

.... 


Good Evening Ruth, 

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the laundry bag you made for me. It is a fantastic laundry bag, and I will treasure it for the rest of my life.

I have a few months to go in my deployment, but the weather is a bit cooler now.

Thank you again, very much appreciate the work that you do.

Best wishes.

.... 


Dear Sue,

Thank you for the laundry bag. It is greatly appreciated. I enjoyed your note and glad you found something enjoyable to do during this 'difficult' year.

Wishing you all the best for 2021.

P.S. if you know a good trick to keep dogs in the yard, I'd love to hear it.

.... 


Good Morning Ma'am,

Firstly, thank you very much for the laundry bag!

The company and I are currently deployed to Asia into the new year. The men and women within the company are extremely appreciative of the colourful and easily identifiable laundry bags that have been given to us.

For me personally, this is my 7th year in the military, however, my first time being away from home for duty over the Christmas period. My father has served in the RAAF for my entire life (26 years) and this has shown me the rewarding career that is the Australian Defence Force.

I hope that you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (I think we can all agree that it will be nice to see the back of 2020).

Once again, thanks very much for the laundry bag.

Kind Regards.

.... 


Hi Anne,

I have received the quilt that you have made for me. Thank you also for the washing bag. I have added the Christmas card you sent me to the collection of various cards that I have stuck onto the wall of my room.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for the lovely quilt. It is very easy to see that you have put so much love and care into creating this for me.

I am about half way through my deployment at this stage. With the presence of COVID, we are unable to take leave either back to Australia or to another nation - as others have on trips before us.

Your package arrived at a perfect time where morale was needed. I love everything about the quilt from the backing, to the camels and gold barrels and everything in between. Your choice of colours and patterns are fantastic. The Australian animals were a very thoughtful touch, and a great reminder of home.

I enlisted in 2016 and this is my first deployment. I am a 28 year old clerk from Queensland - but I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday on deployment a few weeks ago. I am studying a Bachelor of Psychological Science whilst working full time in the ADF. After I finish my studies, I plan on commissioning as Psychology Officer. Mental health and support for all soldiers current and ex serving is a topic close to heart. I hope that one day I will be able to contribute to providing soldiers with the support and care they need.

I have two cats back at home. I was lucky enough to be posted in Queensland, close to my family and friends this year. I also got my posting order to say I would spend the next 3 years at my home location, as well as a promotion to Corporal. I'm very excited to come back to Australia and get started on the next chapter of my career whilst being able to spend time with my family.

I was very impressed to read that you have made 44 quilts over the last 4 years. Thank you for such an incredible momento that I will cherish for years to come.

Thank you for all your support to myself and other ADF members. These quilts bring such a strong morale to camp. Whenever anyone receives a quilt, it is always shown around and admired by everyone in the vicinity.

Thank you again, I hope you have a very happy Christmas! 

.... 


Good Morning,

My son recently returned from a deployment to the Middle East. He was fortunate enough to receive wonderful gifts from your generous organisation.

Below is a picture of the gorgeous quilt, made by Penny, that my son was gifted. It is truly a beautiful piece of art and of exceptional craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing her talent and craft that is truly amazing.

Thank you to all at AHQ, your work is priceless and is greatly appreciated by Aussie service people serving overseas and their families.

Once again, a heartfelt thank you to you all.





















1 comment: