Wednesday 22 January 2020

Words on Wednesday 22 Jan 2020

To start off tonight's messages.. 
I received this message this week from a group of our troops on deployment with Op Bushfire Assist.  "attached is a pic of a few of our beloved laundry bags in use"



G’day Ruth


I received my ‘career’ laundry bag yesterday.



Receiving the bag, and the fantastic job you have done on it, has added a piece of ‘home’ to my small area.



See attached photo of the bag - don’t think it’ll get used as a laundry bag just yet.



Thank you, and your wider support group, for what you do for us on operations all over the world.



Cheers

.....


Dear Sue N and Family,
 Thank you so much for the fantastic care package you have put together. The Tim Tams, jerky and nuts are a welcome gift, and will be consumed at a rapid rate unless I can show some self-control.
 A Special thank you for your beautiful craftsmanship creating my laundry bag, this will be displayed with pride for my beloved Geelong Football Club, and in appreciation of your effort.
 Just a little about myself.

 My family and I currently reside in SE QLD, we live on a small property and enjoy the rural life over the city hustle and bustle. My daughter is experiencing the first time her father is deployed overseas, and is showing excellent resilience so far...
 I have served in the Army for just over 25 years and have deployed several times to date, however this is the first time I have received a personalised gift.
 I am currently employed in a Logistical Support Role within a Q-Store, I have enjoyed the experience to be deployed and carry out my role in an operational theatre.
 Being away from home, especially over the Christmas period is especially difficult with young children, but we make the best of it.
 Again, Thank you very much for the package and your support.
 Kind regards,.

....

Hi Pennie,
Thank you so much for the laundry bag, you have done an amazing job and I particularly like how you added my initials, as this will stop my wife from using it.  I feel that it is too good to put smelly clothes in at the moment so I have it hanging about my room to add some colour.
The embroidery and detail in the Peacock is outstanding so I can understand why it would have taken three hours to complete, you certainly have more patience and talent than I do.  It was unfortunate about your embroidery machine breaking down, especially during the project.

Both my wife and I are in the Air Force, she works in Logistics and I work in Public Affairs.  If you have time and are interested you can see some of the imagery I have taken on the Australian Defence Force Image Gallery.

I feel that your job as an Emergency Nurse is way more important than what I do, but when I read your letter and you mention how much people like yourself see members of the ADF, it makes me stop and think about how much we do sacrifice.

So once again thank you very much for the laundry bag and the effort you went to, it is very much appreciated.  It will be something I will cherish for the rest of my life, and when I use it, it will remind me and of my experience in the Middle East and all those people working in the emergency services.

I would like to wish you all the best with your sewing, dancing and learning to speak French, which will be handy when travelling around Europe.

Take care, kind regards,
.....

To Lyn,

Thank you so much for my gorgeous quilt and laundry bag. I was thrilled to see that you managed to get some dog  fabric, even more so some golden retrievers! I miss my boy golden (Rupert) very much and both your quilt and bag brightens my room up beautifully. 

I hope you were safe from the recent bushfires, it was terrible to watch what felt like most of Australia burn.  I hope that you had a lovely Christmas with your family, we had a fab day here with lots of games and Tim Tams!

Thank you again for the beautiful quilt and bag, I love them,
.....

Hey Lynn,
How’s it going? I just received your quilt in the mail. It is fantastic. The weather is quite cool so it is kinda handy to have. I would like to thank you for your effort of not only making a great quilt but also thinking about us as well. All the guys love getting gifts from home. Thanks again.
 .....

Anne!!! 

First of all! Thank you so much for the quilt! I am now the man with the best quilt in town (a sentence I thought I’d never say)  Tim tams have been put to good use straight away and my team thank you immensely!! 

I have now got my quilt and laundary bag! And both are incredible, the work you guys do is unmeasurable. Watching my soldiers open their packages are some of my best moments here. It makes their whole deployment, knowing someone back home cares this much! 

I have an amazing team and am incredibly lucky to be able to lead Australian soldiers in real time events overseas. It really is the dream job. 

Once again, a massive thanks for your work and for what your team represent, it really does mean the world! 

Hopefully to hear from you soon, in the mean time, have a Boags for me!! 

All the best 

......

Dear Diane,

I am the mother of one of your quilt recipients and would like to take some time to thank you for your beautiful quilt to my son. He has returned home from Kabul safe and sound which I am very happy for. My sisters and I are all sewers/quilters/embroiderers so he has a good understanding of the love and care that go into producing such a beautiful piece. He is very taken with your quilt and I am sure will continue to treasure it in passing time. He is based in Brisbane at the moment and had leave to come home for Christmas for 4 weeks, in this time we as a family had many discussions about his physical and mental wellbeing after being in Afghanistan. He mentioned several times the pride and affection the Men and Women have when receiving these beautiful gifts from home so I just wanted to let you know that your time making these gifts is appreciated more than you may know. I haven’t yet seen your quilt but his wife tells me it is on display in the living room. I will get to Brisbane later in the year and take a look for myself.

My husband, our other son and I are very proud of him and it is nice to know others feel the same.

I hope your family are all well.

Once again thank you. J
.....

Hi Kerry,
I’m the father of your recipient who received a quilt and laundry bag from you.(We just found your letter)

A huge “Thank you” from my wife and myself for such a gift, it’s actually on his bed at home, we’re on a dairy farm, XXX has been home for the last 3 weeks and is now on his way back to Brisbane.

I never knew such things existed until he brought it home with him, as the family of a serving soldier, it probably means more to us to know others care and appreciate his service. It has pride of place in our house and we’ll always think of him, his service and your magnificent talent and selfless gift of your time when ever we look at it.

We have a little bit of military history in our family too, XXX’s Great Great Uncle, 23rd battalion, served on Gallipoli, , Great Grandfather, 10th Field Company Engineers, on the Western Front, and Great Uncle in Vietnam.

I travelled to Gallipoli in 2018(XXX actually came home to run the farm while I was away)and came away with a different perspective on the whole campaign. The peninsula is so beautiful and peaceful now, hard to imagine the carnage that it once hosted, cemeteries are wonderfully maintained and the Turks so welcoming of us.
  
Again, thank you for your gift of time and talent.

Cheers,
.....

Hi Janis,

Thank you so much for the quilt it is better than I could imagine, the support I have had from back home has been amazing and this is just another reminder of this.

I recently went to Liverpool as part of the 2 week break we get and managed to go to a game (Liverpool vs Brighton) and it was an amazing experience.

Thank you again for the quilt.

Regards,
.....

Good Afternoon Noelene,

Firstly, thank you so much for the Laundry bag and the care package. I really appreciate the thought and effort that went in to putting it together.
I am sorry I have not responded sooner, I have been away and have only just returned to Iraq, and received your package today.

I will write you a letter over the next few days as I like writing letters as they feel more personal than email sometimes. I am just short of time at the very minute.

It is interesting that your husband has worked with QANTAS as I am an Operator Mover by trade, which is a lot like a travel agent I guess. I have worked with many people from QANTAS and other airlines over the last 24 years that I have been in Defence.  Funny how the universe works.

I hope that this email finds you well, and I will write you a letter tonight when I am back in my accommodation.

Thank you once again for the Package. It made my day.

Regards,
......


Hi Jenny, 
I just wanted to take the time to thank you for the wonderful quilt you recently made me,  It was the Ferrari emblem surrounded by a Star Wars Pattern, this is two of my son's favourite things so the quilt will be special for him too.

I did notice that the star wars pattern glows in the dark and looks pretty cool.

So once again, thank you for all you do.  It really is a great morale boost to know people back home are thinking and caring about us.  You do such a great job, you guys are the real heros.

Regards
.....

Hi Bridget,

I would like to say a massive thank you for my VB hero quilt, it is perfect! And just in time too because believe it or not it is actually getting quite cold over here at the moment. A number of the blokes I work with have also received quilts and we are all so grateful for the work you and many others like yourself do for us. I would also like to thank you for the red frogs, they have become a great pre-workout snack.


Once again, thank you so much for everything you do with the Hero Quilts organisation, it really does mean a lot to us.



Cheers,
.....

Good afternoon Jean

I cannot thank you enough for the gorgeous laundry bag, I truly love it!  The design, colours and craftsmanship are beyond excellent.  It is too lovely to put dirty laundry in! 

I am a nursing officer with the Australian Army, usually based in Qld, we have been here for several weeks now (although it feels like a lifetime), receiving our laundry bags has brought us so much fun and everyone who has theirs is smiling that little bit wider, and those yet to receive theirs are waiting with excitement.  Providing health care to our soldiers and the coalition forces based here is an honour and a privilege – our soldiers are an amazing bunch and not once have I ever felt unsafe.

My husband is also in the Army and will be deploying before I get home, we also love to travel and are planning a trip to Italy so hopefully we can catch up for a few weeks this year.  We are looking forward to retirement so that we can travel more.

We have 3 children, a son 24 and lives back in our MotherLand New Zealand,  a son 20, he is a landscape construction apprentice and loves it, and our daughter  is about to turn 18 in 5 days – she is an AIN (assistant in nursing), she still lives at home and has her parents love of travel.

Thank you so much again.

Kindest regards
.....

Dear Lyn K,
Thank you very much for making my beautiful quilt and laundry bag. They are really lovely and are brightening my room up nicely.
Thank you also for the letter and Christmas wishes. It is really touching to see how much support there is for us back home and the work you do is truly appreciated.
Christmas here will be a once in a lifetime thing for me, and I’m looking forward to sharing it with the new friends I’ve found over here (my deployment family). It is getting very cold and I’m hopeful for snow to bring a white Christmas!

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year,
With many thanks,
.....

Hi Anne,
I am an Australian soldier serving on Operation OKRA. Before I introduce myself, I would first like to say thank you so much for your time and effort in making my Aussie Hero Quilt laundry bag. As an Australian Defence Force member it truly means a lot to receive your hand stitched laundry bag. I received my laundry bag on 16 Jan 20 and opened it that evening. It really put a smile on my face to see my green laundry bag and also some Tim Tams (you are correct in your letter that the Tim Tam economy is real. Many favours requiring support from other coalition units are often agreed upon when the packet of Tim Tams comes out). As a service member serving overseas its things like receiving your laundry bag that makes being away from home that bit easier. Having dropped off my laundry this morning it was good to see a number of other members have had their laundry bags arrive.
By way of introduction, I am 27 years old and from XXXXX South Australia. XXXXX is a farming belt on the edge of the Barossa Valley. Since joining the Army in 2011 I have been posted to Canberra, Darwin, Wagga Wagga and back to Darwin where I am currently posted to the 5th Battalion, the Royal Australian Regiment (5 RAR). Back in Darwin I leave behind my wife and two year old son. Being posted to 5 RAR this past year has meant a significant amount of time away from my family as we prepared for our deployment. Technology always helps to stay connected but sometimes this is not always possible.
Being deployed has been the highlight of my career. The work here is always interesting and working with so many other nations whilst challenging at times has created some excellent friendships. Iraq is in the early stages of winter so it’s getting very cool here. The weather is much like Canberra weather in that it is cold but clear skies make it nice. When it rains here everything turns to mud and you seem to grow 3 inches whenever you have to walk anywhere.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you happy new year and know that we are thinking of everyone back home suffering through the bushfires.

Thank you again for making my laundry bag and know it is being put to good use.


Regards,
.....

Hi Anne Hnr,

First of all I wanted to start off by saying THANK YOU SO MUCH for my quilt, laundry bag and wash bag.

I would say that usually greens isn’t really my colour but without even knowing me you managed to know exactly what I wanted without even knowing it myself and for that I’m truly grateful. It’s absolutely beautiful and could not have come at a better time. Also I’ve been obsessed with the little mermaid since I was a little girl because I love to sing and there is just something about her that makes her different to every other Disney princess so I love love love the material you found. It’s currently 23 degrees here during the and they say it drops to about 15 degrees at night but I can’t handle the cold at all and it feels more like 5 degrees if you ask me. It’s come in handy to brighten up my room and keep me toasty. Thank you for creating something with so much love, time and effort. It’s very much appreciated.

So I thought I would tell you a little bit about myself. I’m 31, I joined the Army when I was 17 as a Medic. I decided to transfer to the Air Force as a Medic in 2015 and haven’t really looked back. I’ll be having my 14 year Defence Birthday while I’m here at the end of march so I’m pretty excited about that. Yes I am registered with AHPRA. Our role as a Medic is a little niche and sometimes hard to explain but ultimately I am an EEN but also hold a Paramedical Science Diploma but in the world of Defence it’s sort of like being a Nurse and Paramedic with a whole lot of pre hospital back ground rolled into one. In the RAAF though I actually do a lot of Airfield Response and support flying operations at RAAF Base Amberley back home.

While over here I look after 4 junior troops and run an Outpatients department, we complete a lot of return to Australia medicals to make sure our personnel are well enough to return home, conduct a lot of medical training to enhance our skillsets, provide medical response to the Airfield if required and a whole heap of other random little jobs as well but it’s kind of like running a GP clinic.  

This is actually my second rotation overseas. I deployed in 2017 to the same role just as a lower rank. I didn’t actually engage with Aussie Hero Quilts because I thought that I wasn’t really deserving enough of one as I wasn’t in a war zone and I didn’t want anyone to go out of their way for me. It actually took a lot of convincing from my medics to engage with you to ask for one this time because I really don’t feel that special or like I’m doing enough for my Country to deserve the love that goes into one. I am really glad that I did though because it is the best thing I’ve ever received and it has really brightened up my rotation.

So I currently live in a house I built just for myself  with my dog.  He’s 7 years old and I feel so guilty about leaving him. My dad is currently looking after him at home in Brisbane which is probably a good thing because I think he’s quite lonely so it’s good having him there to give him all the love. I have a Brother and 2 sisters. 

The lingerie bag that you’ve added is absolutely amazing and a very very welcomed addition. The water over here is very harsh on our skin and clothing and last time I had to throw a lot of stuff out before I came home as it was destroyed. Also the velcro on our uniform doesn’t do well with delicates at all and generally rips things apart. I currently use 4 bags already every time I do laundry so it will be very handy for future washes. So far so good with holding up in the wash and the dryer, have only used it once so far. The size is definitely good for underwear but would go slightly bigger just in case it’s used as a bra bag instead, it only fits 2 of mine in there at the moment.

We are due home the end of April and the whole team is pretty excited. I still haven’t had overseas leave yet and isn’t until March so the days are definitely dragging and I’m tired after working a full year prior to deploying short notice.  But I’m so happy to be here and I couldn’t be deployed with a better team.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work and taking the time out of your life to consider the happiness of others.

Feel free to message at any time.

Much love to you and your family x


.....

Dear Georgina,
Thank you so much for your lovely quilt.  It made it to me in time for Christmas.  In fact, I had it with me during the final of the FIFA Club World Cup which took place on December 22nd, which thankfully Liverpool went on to win.  I was ecstatic after that as it is a fairly prestigious knockout competition featuring the best teams from each continent.  I can only assume that it acted as something of a lucky charm.  I’m hoping it brings us luck in the rest of the season so we can win the league.  We’ve come close but are yet to win in my lifetime.

That’s enough about football though.  As a bit of background, I am an Aeronautical Engineer in the Royal Australian Air Force and am currently in the Middle East Region with a detachment supporting the E-7A Wedgetail, as you may well have guessed.  I am working with a team of aircraft mechanics to maintain the aircraft.  I’ve attached a photo of me in front of our aircraft with the quilt you crafted.  The beard I’m currently sporting is for charity purposes and will have to be shaved off shortly as we aren’t usually allowed them. 

The quilt itself is a thing of beauty, and may well be the best gift I received this year.  I’ve got it on my bed over here now and it brings me great joy waking up to it every morning.  The abundance of care that has gone into creating it is evident in the craftsmanship and quality.  You and your sons should all be commended for your efforts.  The pattern is striking and vibrant, plus I love the inclusion of the Wedgetail into the design.  No doubt, many years in the future this will remind me of what I was doing to earn such a beautiful quilt, and with any luck will act as a talisman to bring back some fond memories.

For me and my colleagues here on deployment the quilts we receive from individuals such as yourself are reminders that people back home are thinking of, and care deeply about, us.  They can bring comfort in what can occasionally be difficult times and anchor us to happier places such as home.  They are treasured items that will accompany us as we continue our journey through life.  The effort that you, and everyone else from Aussie Hero Quilts, put in are greatly appreciated. 

As an aside, I showed it off to my mum when I video-called her for Christmas and she was extremely impressed.  She is also a die-hard Liverpool fan so I’ll have to make sure she doesn’t steal it out of my bag once I get home. 

Thanks for the Minties as well.  I made sure to share those with the rest of the team so I don’t eat too many lollies on my own.

I hope you and your family had a lovely Christmas and that you all have a happy New Year.

Warm Regards,
.....

Dear Sue,
 Thank you for the box of goodies that you sent me, They were fantastic but most of all Thank you for the laundry bag. It is really very special.

From all of us in Iraq as part of Task Group Taji X we would like to say THANK YOU.
 The mission is going well, and we look forward to coming home soon....

 This is my 3rd deployment, the second over Christmas. I am forever grateful for wonderful people like yourself who do such amazing things for people they do not know. I hope your family are very proud of your commitments, I will never be able to fully explain how much it means to receive such a wonderful gift.
 I have a wife, three children 11, 9, and 5. who are all awaiting for me to come home to Canberra.

 Thank yo once again for your kindness!
.....

G'Day Sue,
 Thank you oh so much for the Hero quilt! I absolutely love it. Will become a good piece of memorabilia and has been getting plenty of use on these cold winter nights
 I am 24 and from the Mid North Coast on NSW. Receiving your quilt was a lovely gift to receive whilst away, especially being away for xmas.
 I greatly appreciate the effort you have gone to! I love it!!
 Merry Christmas & happy new year! xxx

......

Lynn, Jan-Maree,

Thanks so much for the Aussie Hero Quilt! I received it on New Years Eve and it was awesome to see the colorful design and iconic Australia patches you'd chosen to put it together. The Timtams were also much appreciated too.

I use the quilt every night now, and when I return to Australia it will be a long lasting reminder of my time deployed overseas. It put a smile on my face on New years Eve and continues to do so every morning when I make my bed.

The support from the Australian public and people like yourselves means an awful lot to us all over here and even though we know that support is strong and ongoing, it's great receiving something tangible like an Aussie Hero Quilt to remind us.

Thanks once again,
......

Good morning Hilary!

I was over in Malaysia last year for 3 months and the Padre in Butterworth organised laundry bags for all the members. I am very grateful for all the work that the team behind Aussie Hero Quilts puts in as it makes things feel a little more normal when we are overseas.

I hope you have had a good Christmas and that your son, daughter and grandchildren are all doing well and are safe from the bushfires!

If you and your husband ever find yourselves in Brisbane on your sailing adventures, feel free to send me a message so that I can thank you in person!


Cheers,
.....

Hello Toni,

Well I was very surprised when the laundry bag turned up as we hadn't been able to get mail due to the incidents over the last few weeks. The laundry bag is awesome and have been using it since it arrived.
It is always very special to get a little gift in the mail when you are deployed, it just makes you feel closer to home.

I know I speak for all deployed members, we are all  in awe of the selfless sacrifice you make with your time and materials to help make a digger feel more at home, especially with the mountain of work you must have at home.

I would personally like to thank you for the Hawthorn themed LB, it will be well cherished as I have been a Hawthorn supporter for over 40 years!

Please pass on my regards to all the people who volunteer their time to help deployed members, it is greatly appreciated

King Regards 


......

Till next time... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!
Jan-Maree xx 

1 comment: