Thursday 24 October 2019

Last week's trip to Canberra

Hi all

I had the best week in Canberra last week and if I don't write a quick post about it before I head to Perth (for another few awesome days) then I will never get time to tell you about it with our Dinner coming up in less than two weeks.   I did not take anywhere near enough photos but here are some I did  remember to take.

I drove down on the Thursday morning, making a quick stop to visit one of our recipients on the way.   I had enough time to catch up on emails before meeting George, one of my recipients for dinner.  If you are in Canberra try Lazy Su, great restaurant!

On Friday morning I had breakfast with Roy, another recipient, and was able to press-gang him into helping out with our dinner... actually it did not take too much convincing.... but I am grateful for his help.

Next on to a meeting with a great guy who is going to sit on our Board when we get it up and running.  It have taken this slow time, a lot slower than intended but it was right not to rush. This fellow will be a great asset and his experience and knowledge will be invaluable but most importantly he left me feeling totally comfortable that he "gets" what we do and the value we add to the serving community and our veterans past and present. 

A quick catch up with my first ever AHQ Chaplain, Principal Air Chaplain Willis, to hand over a Fallen Warrior Quilt to be handed to the family of a fellow who passed away a while ago but whose memory lives on, as it should. 

I made it to my husband's work team's Friday lunch and then stayed to work on the dinner admin with Michelle, my husband's Executive Assistant.  I can honestly say that without the help of Michelle and others this year's dinner would not be happening.

Finally that night, an awesome caatch up with three more recipients who, for varying reasons can't make it to the dinner. 



We ate at Vapianno's and had the best experience.  The young manager recognised our ADF service and was just a delight.  He made it clear that all serving members only need to identify themselves as defence and they will receive a discount.  Great food, great service and exceptionally great company.

Between them these blokes have deployed many times to Iraq, Afghanistan, South Sudan and elsewhere... Such a pleasure to spend time with them.

Saturday was spent with my husband, who for those of you that don't know, actually lives and works in Canberra.  Sunday afternoon I dropped in at a farewell for one of my longtime recipients. She is moving states and changing direction after years of dedicated service in the army and it was a privilege to be there to wish her well.


Sunday night was a bit special. 30 years ago a gorgeous 15 year old was my bridesmade. Her father and I served together at the time. Today she is a WGCDR and heading off on deployment very shortly.  As with defence life, we had lost contact but she found me again through Aussie Heroes and it was a joy to visit her and her family for dinner and catch up again.  Defence friendships never change and you pick up where you left off, in spite of the intervening years and all the changes. Now I am able to support her through her first deployment as well. What a joy.


Monday was a great day. A coffee catch up with a recipient at the cafe at the Royal Military College and then a trip out to Soldier on to deliver a quilt to be presented to a recipient a day or so later.  

Back to Brindabella to meet a friend and veteran, Ledy, for lunch.   Whilst there a future recipient dropped in to hand me a parcel of goodies to be included on his quilt.  


 It just so happened that he was home on leave and was able to meet up with me so it was lovely to meet him in person for a change.  Back to lunch with Ledy and she handed me the most gorgeous hand made shawl for our raffle at the dinner. 




Ledy is the most amazing craftswoman with yarn and what she can't made does not exist.   I will be buying lots of raffle tickets in the hope of winning this one.

After lunch another meeting with a representative from a large company who wants to support Aussie Heroes. More on that in the future but let's just say, people notice what we are doing and they like what they are seeing.  Stand proud all you volunteers.  We are making a difference. 

On Tuesday morning I headed to the Australian Defence Force Academy to visit the Sergeant's Mess. Due to a change of program we have had to change venue from the RMC Mess to the ADFA SGT's Mess and I needed to see the new venue.  I am assured that all will be set up and ready for our Quilter's Gathering on the Friday night in just over a week.....yikes where did that time go??

My next visit was to Luke, a Navy veteran who left the Navy six years ago but recently suffered an amputation due to the flair up of an infection that he received as a result of an injury whilst in service.  What an amazing spirit and attitude this fabulous veteran has. 


It was a privilege to present him with an Aussie Hero Quilt.  Many could learn from his attitude to life and I will certainly be keeping in touch with him.

That night I had dinner with Kym and Michelle... the backbone of the organising committee for this year's dinner and two ladies who need to take a significant portion of the credit for the success of the dinner.  The Staff at the restaurant where we ate were very patient with us as we spent a couple of solid hours with our tables strewn with papers and bowls of food. 

Wednesday morning was pur joy for me. I had the pleasure of visiting the studio of MAJ Michael Armstrong, one of our recipients, and currently on Long Service Leave and making the most of his time drawing, scuplting and painting. 




 I have been following Michael's work since I met him at the Opening of the After The War Exhibition hosted by the Australian National Art Museum at Parliament House in February this year.  We have an amazing collection of artists in our veteran community and Michael sits very comfortably among them.  I loved hearing the stories behind his evocative artwork and learning about the processes involved.  It was fascinating and I am pleased to say I have convinced him to be one of our speakers at our quilter's gathering next year.   I think the creative souls that are our volunteers will find what Michael has to share just as inspiring as I did. 

My final appointment was on Wednesday afternoon when I took one of our Army Chaplains with me to visit Parliament House for a quick meeting with The Honorable Lynda Reynolds, MP Minister of Defence. 



Whilst there I was able to collect the final signature patch for this year's quilt to be autcioned at our Annual Thank You Dinner.  Minister Reynolds made it very clear that she appreciates what we do and you will be hearing more on that in the future. 

So that wraps up my trip to Canberra. Lots of catching up, networking, plannig and talking... and lots of good things to come I promise you.

Here is a sneak peek at some of the goodies now waiting in Canberra for our Friday night Quilter's Gathering.  Thank goodness my husband lives in Canberra. His home is currently the AHQ Storage Annex.

This week I am off to Perth for my High School's 40th Reunion but I am taking the opportunity to add in a visit to Swanbourne Barracks on Thursday and HMAS Stirling on Friday.  I will be presenting some quilts and laundry bags in both locations, meeting with service personnel, chatting about the Army Art program and meeting crew members from our next Ship to deploy... as well as wondering where on earth the last 40 years have gone when I gather with my class mates from so long ago.

I should probably mention that when I travel I cover all my own expenses, airfares, accommodation and hire care costs as I would hate to think some assume that is where the donations received go.  If that ever changes I will certainly let you know. 

Till next time... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

Jan-Maree xx 

1 comment: