Friday 8 March 2019

A VERY SPECIAL AUSSIE HERO QUILT RECIPIENT

Sandy here, with L plates on as I begin to put up Posts on the AHQ Blog while our fearless leader is out of action for a few days, as she begins the journey of reclaiming her quality of life with pain free and mobile knees.  Watch out world!  This amazing powerhouse of a woman, has trained for this and is ready to win.  The Aussie Hero Quilt family and supporters will be cheering you on all the way Jan-Maree.
Lynn Field reports...
Today, my sister–in-law Wendy and I, made the trek to the other side of Sydney to visit Jan-Maree. 
A few weeks ago, knowing that she did not have an AHQ size personal quilt to accompany her into hospital as she faces her long awaited surgery and rehab, I decided to put a quilt together for her on behalf of everyone at AHQ.   I asked myself the question ‘what would an AHQ request read like if submitted by one J-M Ball if on deployment?’  
I included it all in the card.
(Please admire the nails).
(The scrappy quilt reference was an ‘in joke’ reference to the fact that she knows this is not something I do – I decided to include this ‘request’ in her card.)
 
After gathering fabrics, I then asked the MG ladies who were due to send me some blocks for a current request, to include a small signature block of fabric with a short message of support for, and on behalf, of everyone, which they all did in double time. I quickly put the quilt top together, attached the message blocks and then passed it over to Wendy to quilt.  This was actually finished yesterday afternoon ready for our planned trip today.
After getting Jan-Maree to sit, I was able to explain to her that all of us at AHQ wanted her to go to hospital with her very own Aussie Hero Quilt and on behalf of you all, we gave her the card and then presented the quilt for her to unfold.  

She laid it out and enjoyed all of the fabric references to her and read all the messages.
I am delighted to say that she LOVED it and thanked everyone.

Good Luck with everything in the next few weeks, Jan-Maree, you have worked so hard to reach this long awaited date and we hope that having this quilt with you ensures that you know the Aussie Hero love and support is with you all the way.
Lynn x x




4 comments:

  1. Lovely indeed. A Great first post.
    Wishing JM a full and quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely post. Lynn you and Wendy are amazing to have managed to get Jan-maree’s quilt made in time. Thinking of you JM and wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A speedy recovery JM. Lots of love from all at AHQ and beyond the Sea.

    ReplyDelete