Tuesday 13 November 2018

Grati-Tuesday 13 November

Recently one of our RAAF chaplains has the opportunity to present an Aussie Hero Quilt on our behalf.  I think the pictures say it all. 


.....

Bev and Geoff, 

I just received my quilt and it is AMAZING.. I absolutely love the colours, theme and the personalisation. 
When i saw the box said ‘linen’ i knew that it was my quilt and it is something i will cherish for a long time. 

It is getting cold here in Afghanistan and it will keep me warm at night. I also have a lovely laundry bag with the same colours and theme so i am just thrilled. I am a nurse the Air Force and do Aeromedical evacuations as my main job here for all ADF personal if needed, as well as working in the hospital here. 

Making quilts must be a lovely experience to do together as a couple and wish my husband and i had something similar. i have two boys under 4 so…. maybe in a few years we might be able to do something similar.

Hope you hold the love dear to your hearts and keep making the deployed personnel happy and smiling. 



.....

Dear Ann,

I have just received my Aussie Hero quilt and laundry bag.  Thank you very much for doing this for me.  It is certainly a work of art and a labour of love and will have pride of place when I return home.

Thank you also for the letter with the quilt.  You certainly have an active family, and it is nice to see the different generations all having a connection with horses. 

Back home my wife and I both ride.  We are both interested in eventing and dressage, but I am still ‘learning the craft’ (you never stop learning with horses).  We live in a country town in South Australia near the Clare Valley.  When I return home I can reacquaint myself with riding, which I miss, and I’m sure there will be a long list of chores around the house and at the paddock to attend to.

Again, thank you for the quilt.
  
Regards,

.....

Hi Joy,



I just received a quilt and laundry bag that you made. It has defiantly lifted my spirits and means a lot!



I have served for 17 years full time now but this is the first long term deployment I have been on. I am married with 3 children at primary school.



I can see you have put a lot of thought into the designs. The quilt has transformed my room adding colour and the laundry bag will get plenty of use! Thank you so much, the work you do is much appreciated!



I wish you all the best for the future. 

Kind Regards


,.....

Hello Ruth,

I have received your laundry bag and it’s fantastic. I love the initials which is a great touch. I’m currently deployed until 2019.  I am an Avionics Technician on the E-7 Wedgetail 737 surveillance aircraft. I appreciate you taking the time to make the laundry bag as the small things can mean the most. Take care and once again thank you.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

 ......

Hi Connie,

Thank you so much for the Washing bag it caught my eye straight away!,
I am a Seaman in the RAN and work as a communications and information’s systems sailor,
I am currently posted to my first ship, HMAS Adelaide.

Home for me is on the central coast, NSW. Although I was supposed to be living in Canberra right now, I had an apartment reserved in Lyneham,
but as you would probably know with your daughter that the defence force changes its plans a lot, so ended up being posted home in Sydney!

Again thank you for the bag, Muchly appreciated
......

Hi Connie,

By way of introduction, I'm a Naval Officer serving in HMAS Adelaide, and I was very fortunate to receive a Laundry Bag, made by you. Adelaide is currently on its way to PNG for Operation APEC 2018 Assist. PNG is hosting the APEC forum of 21 (mostly Pacific) countries - and Australia is providing much of the security for the event.

It's only a short trip this time, but when we get home, that'll be a little over 6 months away from home for the year. Given one of your daughters is serving in the RAN, you're only too well aware of how time spent away from home, creates a little emptiness of the home we leave behind. I've been on the road for much of the last six years, and am looking forward to getting posted to the same location as my family. One of these days I guess.

I was delighted to get the laundry bag - but perhaps even more excited to get a hand written letter, telling me a little bit about you, and of your story. I'm 45, and I well remember a time, when hand written letters were a much treasured source of comfort from loved ones. Thanks for your time, thanks for your contribution, thanks for your efforts. You, and others like yourself, are the real heroes. Not us.

 I joined as a 17 year old kid in 1991. I'm married to a nurse, and have two children 13 and 1. We live in the South, and have been Canberrans for 10 years. I've served all over the place, and love it. I admit that it would be nice to have a regular job, where my family get to see more of me, but that's all in the nature of what we do. They're heroes as well,  for the sacrifices they make to support me.

Anyway how, I'll wrap it up. 

Take care, and thank you once again for such a splendid, and thoughtful gift.

Sincerely yours
.....

Hi Ruth, thank you so much for my laundry bag, it is great, beyond my expectations.  I will use it with pride everywhere I travel from now. Your cousin's daughter was right, the laundry bags and quilts do add to the morale, they bring a bit of home to the UAE or IRAQ and Afghanistan.

I know how hard it must have been for you being a Port supporter to make the North Laundry Bag.  Port has been very good  to North this year, giving us two pretty good players - Polec and Pittard.  I won't barrack as hard the next time North plays Port, I will be thinking about my great laundry bag made by a lovely Port supporter.  Oh by the way - you have a very smart Son-in-law - haha.  

I am married with grown children, like you I have grand children - 6 ( 3 girls and 3 boys) and can't wait to see them again. 

Ruth thank you very much, I will enjoy the laundry bag and if I can ever assist you in any way please let me know.  Your support of deployed Australians is very much appreciated.

GO NORTH and PORT
.....

Hi Dorothy,

I would like to say a big thank you for the effort you have put in to sewing such beautiful quilts and Laundry bags for our troops. I can say it is such a beautiful gesture receiving these bags and watching everyone’s eyes light up with Joy.

I loved reading your letter and your story, it reminded me a lot of where I am from! 

All the ladies I share a cabin with have each received a beautiful laundry back, and it has certainly brightened up our space in our cabin. It has given it a rather homely feeling to a stark un-personalised space.

Thank you again for my beautiful Laundry bag, It is the small tokens of appreciations that are always felt the greatest.

 ......

Hi Sue,

I’m a Chief Petty Officer currently deployed on Operations onboard HMAS Adelaide.   I received your laundry bag yesterday, there were quite a few to choose from, but I was really drawn to yours.  I love the idea behind the quilt and laundry bag program and deeply appreciate your gift.  It’s great to know that people like you are supporting those serving overseas.

Kind regards,
......

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much for the quilt and gifts. I was told mandalas would be hard to do, so very much appreciated. My deployment ends in Jan 19 so I will be away over Christmas time. I've only been here about 6 weeks so far, the days are long but it has started to cool down at least.
All the best, 
.....

Dear Anne
Many thanks for your hard work and generosity in providing me with a laundry bag for our deployment. Prior to departure, I had scoured the malls looking for one half as good, without success, so was very happy to receive your kind gift.  I will make good use of it.
Best wishes
......



Hi Jean,

Thank you very much for the beautiful laundry bag that you made for me. Having any sort of personalised items here make or day to day life that little bit more interesting. It’s funny how the little reminders of home like a Sydney Swans logo can bring so much morale while we’re deployed. As the son of a woman who has devoted the better part of a decade to quilting I can appreciate your work!

Thanks again for the laundry bag and your continued support to Defence personnel deployed overseas - we always love hearing from home. 

Sincerely,
.....


Good Afternoon Maree,

I am 22 and an Electronics Technician on board HMAS Adelaide. I recently received a Laundry bag made by yourself from Aussie Hero Quilts and Laundry Bags, whilst on Operation APEC Assist 2018 in Papua New Guinea.

I would like to thank you for making this bag for me, I really appreciate the quality craftsmanship and vibrant fabrics that brighten up my room! Growing up I played tennis, which was the fabric on one of the sides, but what really caught my eye when choosing the bag was a fish, which reminded me of the book, The Rainbow Fish which I read a lot when I was younger.

Thank you for supporting us whilst we are away on operation, these wonderful gifts bring a smile to everyone’s faces on board!



Have a lovely weekend J
.....



Hello Sue,
I am a Petty Officer on HMAS Adelaide. I would just like to take the time to thank you for the laundry bag you have made. In my 18yrs in the Navy this is the first time I have received something like this (not including gifts from my mum). It has put a smile on my face, thank you for taking the time to make this gift for me.

All the best,
......

Dear Ellen

You are probably wondering who I am !
My daughter is engaged to XXXXX- the young man for whom you made a laundry bag and a quilt. She sent me photos last week of your beautiful items and I was so touched that I thought I would drop you a line. What a wonderful organization you belong to.
my daughter is a radiographer and after working at a Melbourne hospital for 8 years, decided to do something different and joined the Army! At the moment she is based in Sydney and also works as a radiographer at a Sydney  Hospital.


Thanks very much for your kindness

......


Hi Jenny,

Thank you very much for the beautiful laundry bag and quilt that you made for me. Having any sort of personalised items here make our day to day life that little bit more interesting. It’s funny how the little reminders of home like can bring so much morale while we’re deployed - even if they come from Richmond supporters! 

As the son of a woman who has devoted the better part of a decade to quilting I can appreciate your work. I sent Mum some photos and she was thrilled to know her nagging about quilting has had an effect!

I apologise for the delay in my response, we’re on the downward slope of a very chaotic period surrounding the Afghan elections so I’ve hardly had time to think!

Thanks again for the laundry bag and quilt, and your continued support to Defence personnel deployed overseas - we always love hearing from home. 

Sincerely,
.....

Till next time... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!
Jan-Maree xx

1 comment: