Sunday 3 December 2017

Welcome Home HMAS Newcastle

After last night's rain it was a huge relief to see the sun shining this morning as I prepared to drive into the city to welcome HMAS Newcastle home. 

At 10am the speeches began.  First CAPT Brian Schlegel welcomed the assembled crowd. There was well over 1000 family members and friends turned out to welcome the crew home as well as the VIPs.   CAPT Schlegel was one of the past COs on HMAS Darwin for her final trip through the heads so he received one of our laundry bags. 

CAPT Schlegel introduced Commodore (CDRE) Chris Smith, Commander Australian Surface Forces and also one of the past COs from HMAS Darwin who was very appreciative of his laundry bag. 


The next speaker was the Minister of Defence, Senator, the Honorable Marise Payne.   Minister Payne always amazes me how she can get up and speak confidently and clearly without notes at all.   Today she rattled off a bunch of statistics, for example reminding everyone that HMAS Newcastle covered more than 25000nm during her deployment, visiting 10 ports and conducting 11 boarding evolutions.   She acknowledged the time Newcastle spent away and the changes that would have happened in families in that time, the sacrifices that requires but what I really appreciated is that she also reminded up not to forget about the some 3000 serving men and women who will remain overseas for Christmas and beyond this year. 


There was still ten minutes or so to go after the speeches concluded before HMAS Newcastle made her appearance and as I looked around I could not help reflecting on the impact, we, Aussie Heroes have had.    As I walked through the crowd various people recognised me, and reached out to say thank you so much to all of us.   Then as I sat looking around I saw recipients everywhere.   The past HMAS Darwin CO's, past COs of other Operation Manitou ships now moved on to other jobs.  The Aide de Camp to the Minister for Defence is a recipient and greets me warmly whenever she sees me.  The Fleet Command Warrrant Officer, back on reserve duty for a few months, another recipient.  The Public Relations LEUT, another recipient. Our reach is spreading as we just quietly keep doing what we do.   And it is so appreciated.   I am not sure that I will ever get used to be recognised.  Are they smiling at me because they know who I am or because they are just being friendly. It is a relief when people speak out and use my name or say thank you for the quilts because then I know they are actually trying to catch my eye and not someone over my shoulder!  LOL 


As much as possible I try to wander through the crowd and chat to people, looking for the those who might be waiting to meet a recipient.   This time it was a bit harder as the families were held in a relatively narrow area behind a railing, separated from the Minister and others.  It made it a bit hard to mingle but I still managed to meet a few families.  Dressed in RAAF uniform, this father was there, with his wife and serving son to meet their son and brother, a sailor from Newcastle.

What I did not realise was that Dad is a recipient as well as their returning son.   What a nice surprise to meet him and then after the ship was in he brought his Navy son to meet me.  Photo to come.


At last HMAS Newcastle came into sight.....


I took quite a few photos of Newcastle coming in as families often tell me that they like to see their loved ones on the various decks but may not have managed a photo. 




Some families would have been easy for their crew members to pick out with these awesome signs.   Lots of effort went into some of them.  What a lovely sight for a returning sailor to see.


The Navy band as always was brilliantly turned out and wonderful to listen to. 


Maybe this shot will give you an idea of the length of the railing... so many people waiting behind it. 


More shots of the crew.... everyone looking so smart....





At last they were allowed to disembark and the Fleet Commander, Fleet Warrant Officer, Commander Australia Surface Forces and The Minister for Defence all lined up to shake everyone's hand and welcome them home. If only ALL our troops could have a welcome like this.


Caroline L and Robyn Whitelaw this is one of your recipients.... 


Sue this is the very very happy recipient of your dreamcatchers quilt.  :-)


Another happy recipient with his family. 


And as promised, father and son...


Sandy C this fellow received the Adelaide Crows/Medic quilt and Ruth S, your laundry bag.  


I had a lovely chat with this lovely family but I am so disappointed that his gorgeous boy is covering Dad's name tag so I can't tell you who made his quilt and bag but he loves them and was so appreciative.   Greeted me with a smile and left me with a hug. 


I met these two when Newcastle deployed and here is the welcome home photo, complete with a new medal for her and an "I love Bahrain" T shirt for him.   :-)


Finally a nice surprise for me.   Back in 2015 this fellow also deployed, also, I think on HMAS Newcastle.   If my memory serves me correctly he submitted a request late in his deployment.  I made his laundry bag in a hurry in order to get it off in the mail to him.   I was delighted to see his name pop up again. This time Pennie made his laundry bag and Judy H made his quilt.   


It was lovely to meet him finally and even lovlier to see that he had his quilt and laundry bag easily accessible so that I could take a photo of him with it. 


 Well, here she is, tied up alongside and most of the family and friends have left to head to their various homes.   This was HMAS Newcastle's fifth and final return to Sydney from Middle East deployments.   Once again, she has done us all proud.  


Welcome Home HMAS Newcastle. I hope you all enjoy your leave.  May you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year and enjoy a well earned rest. 

Those of us from Aussie Heroes who are visiting HMAS Newcastle on December the 13th are very much looking forward to it. 

Till then, keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

Jan-Maree xxx 


No comments:

Post a Comment