Tuesday 22 August 2017

Grati-Tuesday 22 August

I have to say that these messages are just a pleasure to edit and read every single week. I hope you are enjoying them as much as I am.
.....

Dear Jan-Maree, today I received my Aussie Hero Quilt and Laundry Bag in the mail. Please let Melissa B know it has far exceeded my expectations. It is absolutely fantastic; an instant heirloom to remind me of my deployment, my Corps, and the Army. I could not be happier with the outcome.
Thank you so much!




.....

Dear Joy,  

I thank you so much for sending over this laundry bag and blanket package over to me. I send these attached photos to show you that they arrived safe and sound. I truly appreciate the time and effort you spent sewing up and sending over the package of goodies to me. I absolutely love the Tim Tams and was actually running low on chewing gum also. 

It's a bit too warm to wear the beanie outside where I am at the moment. The temperature is hitting 48 to 50 degrees regularly during the days with the minimum temperature of around 36 degrees at night time. Next years winter I will wear it more often, being back home. 

To answer your question of how I managed to pack so light for this deployment, I didn't pack very well at all. Luckily there's a shop on base I could buy a few more t-shirts and shorts. Have participated in a couple of 5 kilometer fun runs as well and we do receive a shirt for participating and finishing. 

This deployment has been a great experience for me and I can't wait to return back to Australia to see my wife and 13 month old twin daughters. Once again thank you so much Joy.

Kind regards




.....

Hi Chris,

I recently received the laundry bag that you made via Aussie Hero Quilts.   Firstly, I would like to thank you for the huge amount of effort that obviously went in to creating the bag.  It is amazing and I know my daughter will love it.  I have already sent it home so hopefully it will arrive with them soon and in time for her Birthday.  She is a huge fan of Frozen, or as she calls it, “Let it go!"

I am currently 2 months into my deployment so still have a long way to go.  Receiving mail always provides a great uplift in morale so please don’t underestimate how much difference you are making to us out here.  This is my third deployment here (the previous 2 were with the British Army where I actually started my military career) but it never gets any easier saying goodbye to my family.  Thankfully conditions out here are very good, with plenty to do in the spare time we have.  (As long as you like going to the gym or playing sport-which i do!) 

Because of the facilities out here I am able to call or Skype back home very regularly which helps overcome the separation with my wife and kids.

My family has always had a strong military background, with parents and grand-parents, uncles and cousins having served in all 3 arms of the British military.  I believe i am the first to make the leap over to Australia!  

Many years ago my wife and I drove all around Australia in a 1982 Fold Falcon, and we have aspirations of buying a caravan to take the kids on a similar trip at some time in the near future.  One thing you realise being out here is how lucky we have it living where we do and I want to make sure my kids appreciate that.  

Although I like to think we are making a difference out here, there is so much work still to do, to undo the damage done by others in the past.  Seeing the impacts we are having certainly helps justify being out here, something that probably doesn’t get shown very much in the media back home anymore.


Thank you, again for your support, it genuinely means a great deal.  

.....

 Good afternoon,

A wonderful surprise awaited me one afternoon as I collected the mail.  Thank you so much for a well-made laundry bag, I will use it with pride.
As a boy growing up, I fell in love with the beautiful game football while watching English Premier League on a black and white TV in the 70’s.
Of course the first team I saw was West Ham United FC, my idol was Trevor Brooking.  I didn’t know what colour was until I watched my team on colour TV.
I’ve played soccer (I politely call it ‘wog ball’, I hope I don’t offend anyone) for over 40 years.  I still like a kick at the ripe old age of 52, still love it!  To me there’s football, then breathing.

My brother lives and has lived in Yorkshire for the last ten years just north of Leeds.  I have visited him in Great Britain once - beautiful place.  I would love to see more of the British Isles one day.

Yes I’m in the Air Force, somewhere in the middle east on Op Accordion and have been in country since mid-April.  I am missing home, my girlfriend, and our little pooch.  I am a little anxious to return home to more heat.
At present I work at the RAAF Base in Townsville where it will be warming up.

Thank you also for the biscuits, they survived the heat, though they didn’t survive my work mates.  They were consumed in minutes!
I don’t think you can enjoy the heat here as it reaches very high temperatures, no humidity, just burning sun.
At lunch when walking to the mess you can feel the heat slowly cooking your body.

Thanks again from myself and my work mates, and I will enjoy my washing days ahead.
.....

Dear Melissa,

it was with the greatest  delight that I received my quilt from you today.  I was absolutely blown away with  the quality of it, and I am going to keep it safe so that I can put on  my bed at home.

This is just a very quick  note to say  thank you as I will respond properly with a picture by ordinary mail.  I wanted you to know as soon as I received it so you know it has  traveled safely.

Once again, I am humbled by  your generosity,

Many thanks

.....

Hello Sue,
I received your package today and would like to say thank you. I love what you have made me and I will treasure it forever.
I am 21 years old and I have been deployed to Afghanistan since the very start of January.  I cannot wait to get home and see my family including my dog Panda and my 2 cats Tom and Coco.
It is such a good feeling to receive mail and your package is probably the last one I'll receive. You and all the other people who make Aussie Hero Quilts do a wonderful job.
Thank you again for the gifts, including all the small bits and pieces, I will use all of it!
Thank you

.....
Rita (Granny Apples),

I have receieved the hero quilt and it is Amazing. I wouldn't change anything. Thank you so much. Put a massive smile on my face. 

Aussie hero quilts is a great idea and each guy who has received one is using it on his bed or got it hanging up.   Thank you so much again.
.....
Dear Sue,
I am writing to say thank you for my amazing quilt and bag. A special thanks also for the other gifts the cards are getting some good use.
Being away from home is never easy but made bearable when we get parcels from home. Please know I will treasure this beautiful quilt for ever.
Kind Regards 
.....

I am writing to say thank you for the beautiful laundry bag that I received from you.
I was so happy when I opened  your parcel; you were absolutely spot on with the design. It couldn't have been better if I picked it myself. Thank you also for the goodies: the moisturisers  are going to good use, and the chocolates didn't last long.
A very big thank you once again. I can't tel you how much I appreciate the laundry bag. I am certain you would have put a lot of work into it! Thank also for supporting Aussie Hero Quilts. Our deployed men and women love to receive their quilts and laundry bag, as they do really make a difference to our time here, by brightening up our living and working spaces.

Kind Regards,
.....


Hi Jean, 


        Thank you so much for the laundry bag, I absolutely adore it! It is just what I had in mind - reminding me of Arabian Nights. Collecting my laundry has become a lot easier as my bag definitely stands out! 

        The time you have taken to create my laundry bag means a lot to me, and we appreciate the support from back home. Have a great day and thanks again :) 
.....

Dear Caroline,
        Thank you so much for the Quilt and Laundry bag. What an amazing design and quality. I was truly impressed.

My offsiders and I are feeling somewhat sorry for ourselves having just pigged out on the other goodies you sent. The Aussie chips went down a treat with the whole crew here.
Although I am a massive fan of Tim Tams they are like gold around here. They will be put to good use when we require priority assistance from our Coalition partners. Please pass on to your helpers just how good their selection of “yummy’s” was and how much a little taste of home is appreciated. 

        The arrival of two separate parcels was also met with much jealousy when the mail arrived (its always good to have a little one up manship).

        Like you mentioned in your letter, I too imagine my dog fighting to get on/or under this amazing quilt when I get home as I too am a sucker when it comes to dogs. But if he thinks he’s sitting on the huge Aussie flag side he has another thing coming.

        Although this is not my first rodeo in the middle east (21 years in the Army now) the time and effort you and your family have put into creating such an effort you and your family have put into creating such an amazing gift is truly touching. I am absolutely blown away by your generosity.

        In your letter, you said that its hard to imagine what its like not having served yourself. Well the best way my team have described it is that every day is like a Monday… However after receiving your gift it was like Christmas fell on a Monday this year. 

        Thank you once again,
        Sincerely,
.....


Dear Ruth


Thank you so much for the gorgeous laundry bag you made for me. I have had it a few weeks now and it brings a smile to my face every time I use it. 

It arrived while I was on mid-deployment leave. When I returned, I walked into the office early in the morning after an alarm clock fail saw me out of bed at 0630 instead of sleeping in after a middle of the night arrival back. I was a feeling a bit fragile, with a combination of jet lag and being heart sore from waving goodbye to my family (including three young kids 2, 4 and 6) the previous evening. Seeing the laundry bag lifted my spirits at just the right time, and helped me appreciate the time I had spent with my family, carrying it in my heart rather than letting the fact that it was all too short get me down.

So thank you again, for the warmth you poured into your sewing, and your generousness of spirit in helping make our time away from our families more bearable.

Regards
.....


Hi Pennie,

I just received your package yesterday after returning from some tasks in country.

Your laundry bag and treats have really made my day. It has brightened up my room here and I definitely won't be misplacing my washing from now on.

This is something that I will treasure forever.

I really appreciate the work that you do (both nursing and sewing) and wish you and your family all the best.


Much appreciated,
.....

Ruth, I have received the laundry bag and I can't thank you enough, it is awesome.   Also looks as though both of our teams will be playing finals, maybe a Demons vs Power Grand Final, you never know.


Thank you again
.....



Hi Marilyn,

I can't thank you enough for the wonderful quilt you made and gave to me, you are one talented lady. Your quilt and lollies turned up yesterday and was the highlight of my day, Chicos are my favourite. Everyone here gets really excited for each other when mail arrives. Your quilt has pride of place in my office along with my other Queensland and Broncos memorabilia. I have shared photos of your quilt with one of my sister-in-laws, her name is Marilyn also, who is an avid craftswoman and quilter, and she commented on the fine quality of your work.

I'm a member of the Royal Australian Air Force and am fulfilling one of the Host Nation Liaison roles here in the Middle East Region. I go home in a couple of months and as you can imagine I'm really looking forward to being back in the south east corner of Queensland. The hardest part about being way from home is missing family and friends, my wife and two beautiful daughters (23 and 14) are waiting patiently for my return.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your letter and can tell just how proud you are of your children and grandsons.You and your quilt will always be a permanent reminder of my time away from home and of the fantastic support we receive from wonderful people like you while on deployment .   

Thank you again Marilyn. 

.....

Till next time.... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

Jan-Maree  xx


No comments:

Post a Comment