Monday 18 April 2016

Block Party, Mystery Quilts and "I Got Your Back"

ANZAC Block Party

Last month I issued a challenge to make an ANZAC themed block to be used in a quilt to commemorate the ANZACs this year.   The quilt will be made up and then will be hung in the ANZAC Hospital in Iraq to recognise the fact that the hospital is run by an ANZAC Coalition.  I have so far received 8 blocks, all of which look fabulous.   They are supposed to be with me by the 20th of April but if anyone else wants to make one, as long as I have a photo by the 20th that will be fine.  If you want to check out the requirements just look here.

For info this is the Task GroupTaji patch... what a great patch to represent Aussies and Kiwis working together in Iraq.



Mystery Quilts. 

I am about to call for blocks for some new Mystery Quilts. 

For those who do not know, a Mystery Quilt is one where I nominate a block, usually one that has been featured as a tutorial for a Block of the Month.  I also nominate a theme and people register to make one or more blocks.  It is important that people register as we only need  a certain number of blocks to complete each quilt.

Once all the blocks are completed they are sent to a nominated address and then they are put together.  
Next the top goes off to a quilter. 

Mostly we have done star blocks which everyone seems to like and which fit together well as you only need 15 blocks for a whole quilt.

These are great quilts to be part of if you are not able to make a whole quilt but can mange a block or two. 

If you would like to be included in the mailing list for these quilts just let me know. 

Also if you would like to volunteer to put Mystery Quilt tops together please let me know.

These are some of the quilts we have done in recent months.   This first fellow was into Digital forensics so his quilt is a combination of 0's and 1's.  


Stars tend to be the most popular block we do, everyone seems to enjoy doing them.




Finally I thought I would share this poem.  I love the words and I am sure that many of you will enjoy and many will relate to it.  It was passed to me some time ago by Maridy, when her husband, Terry, was deployed on HMAS Darwin.

"I Got Your Back"

I am a small and precious child, my dad's been sent to fight.
The only place I'll see his face, is in my dreams at night.
He will be gone too many days for my young mind to keep track.
I may be sad, but I am proud.
My daddy's got your back.

I am a caring mother. My son has gone to war.
My mind is filled with worries that I have never known before.
Everyday I try to keep my thoughts from turning black.
I may be scared, but I am proud.
My son has got your back.

I am a strong and loving wife, with a husband soon to go.
There are times I'm terrified in a way most never know.
I bite my lip, and force a smile as I watch my husband pack.
My heart may break, but I am proud.
My husband's got your back.

I am a sailor, soldier, airman, serving proudly, standing tall.
I fight for freedom, yours and mine by answering this call.
I do my job while knowing, the thanks it sometimes lacks.
Say a prayer that I'll come home. It's me who's got your back.



Author Unknown

Till next time..............keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

Jan-Maree xx

1 comment: