Monday 24 August 2015

Its Request List Day......


G'day all.  Today is request list day, the busiest day of my week. This is the day that I send out the list of quilts and laundry bags that are being requested by sailors, soldiers, airmen and airwomen from all the areas we look after.




Sometimes I can answer up to 300 emails on days like today, other weeks it is a bit quieter.  People respond to the request list over the course of the week as they get time to think about what they are prepared to take on.    As the week goes by I often send out updated versions of the request list so that interested quilters can choose from the requests that are still available rather than being frustrated by nominating to make quilts or bags that someone has already out their name down for.

Some weeks there are around 25 requests on the list and some weeks there are up to 100.  It all depends on what is going on.   Every time a new ship sails we obviously get a new influx of requests all at once.  I can tell you that I never put all the requests on the list at one time. I always have those that are the priorities, ie, they are the ones that are coming home sooner than later and their quilts need to get made before someone who has 6 months to go.

Some times I get quilters asking me "are there any requests left?"

There are ALWAYS requests left.

Some times I think that because of our output people think that we have more quilters than we do. It is actually really difficult to put a number on how many quilters we have but I would estimate that we have anywhere from 150 to 200 people SEWING for us at any one time.  Not everyone on that list makes complete quilts. Some make laundry bags.  Some regularly make blocks of the month and some make complete quilts. I actually think we achieve an amazing result given the numbers we do have and everyone's contribution is valuable.

So, to the request list.   
It goes out sometime on a Monday, depending on what distractions there are and how much work I have to do to get it ready.  Usually it is out by lunch time. I will include a copy of this week's request list on the blog this week but usually it is only circulated via email.

If you want to be included on the request list then please send me an email to friendsofAHQ@gmail.com

Each week I set a posting deadline for the quilts and laundry bags that is usually within 5-6 weeks. I have to set a deadline as we need to get these quilts and laundry bags to their recipients before they come home from deployment and deployments are usually 4-6-8 months in duration.  

The post by date for these quilts is 21 September.
I ask if you are taking on a request to please make a note of the relevant date for your request in order to remember your deadline.

The requests on this list are published in order of priority. Those coming home soonest are at the top of the list.

There are three columns in the request list. The first one is the preferences asked for.

The second column indicates what the recipient is asking for, either a quilt, a bag or both.

B=both quilt and laundry bag
Q= just a quilt
LB = just a laundry bag

The third column is a registration number that is valid for that week only.  It changes every week as the request, if not taken, rises up the list.  I publish the list in priority order - those that are coming home soonest are at the top of the list.

Requests in Pink are for girls. 

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE copy the ENTIRE line if you wish to nominate for a quilt or laundry bag.  This helps me find the request on the list I work from but it is also really important to make sure that neither you nor I copy the wrong number which could lead to me giving you the wrong details for specific request.

It is important to note that not all the requests I have on file are published each week.  I have to prioritise to make sure that those who are coming home in October, for example, get their quilts before someone coming home in January.  

No everyone likes to work on a specific request because they do not like to be put under pressure to complete a quilt in a given time.  If that is you then please consider letting me know what you are working on so that I can be on the look out for a recipient that might suit your request. I will pencil your name in against a suitable request but you will not be committed to it.  

I know some of you work on quilts and then watch for a suitable recipient to send it to.  At the moment I have 105 requests that are not on the list. if you are making a quilt that is perfect for one of them I will allocate that name to you when you are ready if I know what you are working on.

You do not have to include everything the recipient has asked for in their preferences.

Don’t hesitate to come back to me if you have any questions.


(NOTE LATE EDIT - the ones in red were allocated by the time this was published but cannot be deleted as Blogger won't let me!!!)

he loves the RAAF, motorbikes and camping/4WD'ing with the family and our dog a staff X mastiff. I know he would love anything made by Aussie Hero Quilts.
B
1
Child’s name or  initials and great grandfather’s initials (grandfather fought at Galipoli) and the Engineer’s E
B
2
Rabbitohs theme and Pugs  - Green and Red
Quilt only
3
Something to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the ANZACS. Aust Flag, UAE Flag and RAAF Roundel "Middle East Region 2015" Thankyou
Q
4
Middle eastern style pattern, with a subtle image of the Australian flag. In small print "MIDDLE EAST REGION 2015"
B
5
Broncos
Q
6
Aussie flag colours /green and gold
Q
7
Carlton AFL Team or navy blue and white
Q
8
NRL broncos theme – or maroon and gold
Q
9
Blue(and black)
Q
10
Port Adelaide AFL Colours
Q
11
West Tigers
B
12
21 years old Female
Rock climbing (ropes, carabineers, cliffs, Mountains etc.)
Australian theme (Flag, poppies, animals, gum leaves, Aussie Bush/ country)
Colours - like green but don't mind, just no pink please  
Quilt + laundry Bag
B
13
Purple/blue/black  - Laundry bag please

LB
14
Quilt - a mix of NSW Waratahs and Richmond Tigers – half and half if possible please
Laundry Bag- West Tigers.
B
15
Quilt and laundry bag - Japanese style (kanji, samurai, Cherry blossom etc) ( Have cherry blossom fabric if needed)
B
16
Navy Blue, orange.
4WDing around AUS in my Hilux, camping, the beach, pancakes, running/gym, traveling, playing AFL, Sydney Swans,  fishing..Aussie flora and fauna
B
17
Sydney Swans
B
19
surfing theme with the Geelong Cats and a skippy badge please. (NOTE the skippy badge can be provided – approx. an 8” block)
B
20
Deadpool Comic Character.
B
21
Boxing, black and blue
B
22
NTH QLD Cowboys
B
23
Broncos
B
24
A Powerpuff Girls theme - blue, green and pink colours
B
25
Unicorn theme Pink and yellow
B
26
Chinese dragon red and black
B
27
QLD Titans
B
28
Transformers Decepticon red, white and blue
B
29
Transformers Autobots
B
30
Power Rangers
B
31
Broncos and Punisher  comic
B
32
Kisses and rainbow colours. 
B
34
Love Hearts and rainbow colours
B
35
Arnold Schwarzenegger body building theme
B
36
Loves his ford 68 mustang
diver silhouette
Q
37
Captain America , spider man and a diver silhouette please
Q
38
Melbourne storm
Q
39
I'm a relatively active/outdoors person  : travelling the world, swimming, surfing, mountain biking, music/guitar
St George Illawarra Dragons
B
40
red and white, interests are Sydney Swans Football club
Q only
41
maroons
Q
42
Bulldogs AFL: Collingwood “Gormo”
Q
43
brisbane broncos
Q  ONLY
44
Carlton Blues AFL Club
Q
45
Dragon Ball Z (characters mainly Goku and Vegeta), Manly Sea Eagles
Q
46
black, blue, maroon and green. Brisbane Broncos
B
47
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Moroon and White
Q
48
Boston Bruins
Q only
49
blue. I love Muscle cars (V8'S) and 4wd's
Q only
50
Queensland rugby league team/Brisbane broncos.
Q
5`
Penrith Panthers along with Queensland in the State of Origin, I also play golf and snowboard, I am not at all fussy though.
Q
52
Melbourne Storm
B
53
DC Comics characters

Q
54
Nautical theme, Like the colour blue. hobbies are fishing, home brew, 4 wheel driving
Q
55
Pitsburgh Penguins, black and gold
Q only
56
Hawthorn Club or colours
B
57
Parramatta Eels
B
58
Richmond Tigers
Q
59
Arsenal football team
Q
60
Black, metallurgy and chemical elements.
Fire emblem games- this is a computer game.
Q
61
Being born in NZ and being in the RAN ANZAC History is important
Q
62
blue and maroon/ruby league/motorbikes
Q
63
NRL Team Cronulla Sharks
Q
64
Broncos
B
65
Melbourne Storm), my daughter, name available, and going for walks or holidays with my Fiance and daughter. Family is one thing that matters most followed closely by NRL.
B
66
grey, blue, purple, black and white . Boxing , surfing , warships and all things naval
Q
67
Blue, Helicopters, sailing
Q
68
Penrith Panthers
Please include family names – I can have these embroidered on a patch to be included 
B
69
Marvel characters
Q
70
NRL - Maroons
B
71
Can I kindly request a quilt for my 3 year old daughter? She loves baby lions (from Lion King), elephants and Easter eggs. And her
favourite colour is Pink.

LB Nickname
B
72
Super Heroes
Q
73
Pink and I like Justin Bieber
B
74
i like tropical things! The reef and rainforests, light blues and light greens,  anything tropical, I'm easy!
Can I please possibly get my name on the washing bag but if that's too much, that's okay!
B
75
Stars, rainbows, happy, bright, motivation quotes, aussie (green & gold),  would like her Nickname on the quilt.
Q
76
Geelong Cats with
Photos from wife’s email which I can print on fabric- Operation Manitou August 2015 - February 2016
B
77
HMAS Melbourne theme, nautical theme
Q
78
blue in colour and possibly a nautical theme (anchors, compasses, Ships outline).   Thank you very much for you efforts, things like this keep us going while away
B
79
Blue
Q
80
Footrott Flats
B
81
Kiwi exchange sailor – would love Kiwi/ANZAC theme
B
82
St George Illawarra Dragons
B
83

Till next time....................keep spreading the word and happy stitching! 
Jan-Maree xxx

1 comment:

  1. A very interesting and comprehensive list and instruction on how it works. I hope that someone reading this can get a clear picture of how it works and joins in. It is a huge amount of fun! I love it!

    ReplyDelete