Monday 19 May 2014

WOW WOW WOW

I had a completely different post planned for tonight but I just had to share this story and I think it is really encouraging and uplifting and isn't a bit of good news always welcome!

For those of you who don't know how Aussie Heroes works every Monday I put out a request list that contains the preferences of all those who are on my list requesting a quilt and/or a laundry bag.  The quilters on my volunteer list check it out and let me know if there is one that they are interested in doing.  Sometimes I get lots of quilters responding and sometimes only a  few.  It all depends on how many requests people are working on and what other commitments the quilters have.  

Often I don't put out all the names on my list as I have it written in priority order.   The highest priority is always the guys and girls who are coming home first.  If you are coming home in August and September then hopefully you will receive a quilt before someone who is coming home in October or November.  

Sometimes when a quilt arrives in a certain location it will generate interest from others who will quickly contact me and request one for themselves or their friends and colleagues.  Not always are the new requests generated from the same area as where the quilt has arrived.  

We had one such story unfold last week.  A gorgeous quilt, made by Keryn, was sent to a recipient in South Sudan.  When it arrived a photo of it was posted on the personal facebook page of the recipient and was seen by a defence member on deployment overseas in a different area.  To make it easier to tell the story and still maintain the anonymity of the member I am going to give her a pseudonym and all her Jasmine.


That started the ball rolling and before long Jasmine had heard about Aussie Heroes and sent me an email inquiring if it were possible to request quilts for their area.  Of course I answered that it was and sent off an email advising what sort of details I needed.  On Friday the list came through.  

The exciting thing about this list is that it is being done as a surprise which is why I am not mentioning what area I am working with as I don't want to let the cat out of the bag and spoil the surprise.

As always I prioritized the list according to when people are coming home.  I split this list into two halves as there are two fairly distinct return dates.  As this was a special situation, ie a whole group and the surprise factor, I sent an extra request email out last Friday.  I explained the situation and asked for volunteers to take on the requests!  The list I sent out on Friday contained 13 requests.  Now we get to the WOW WOW WOW!!!    There were 30 people on the entire list and the response to the list was so huge that I kept releasing more and more requests until, as of this morning ALL 30 requests have been taken up!  That is awesome!

I am thrilled and so is Jasmine!    


Your generosity has blown me away.  I'm so excited I can't wait to surprise them now. 
Everyone is going to be crying I can see it now. 
I can't thank you and your beautiful caring helpers enough.


I'm excited, can't wait to see their faces. our mail usually takes 2-3 weeks from Sydney but it has been known to arrive in one week. 
Thank you, you are doing a marvelous service and we will send pics 


We are timing the posting of the first quilts and laundry bags so that they arrive around mid to late June and from then onwards so it will be a while before I can bring you an updated story but I promise I will and hopefully that will include the promised photos of at least some of the recipients!  

Now I have to go and prepare the normal request list for this week.  I had thought there would be no need but emailed everyone today and have received some requests to publish it as normal as there are still some people out there who want to see what they can do.

Seriously, Aussie Heroes has the absolute BEST volunteers 
and you are all so great to work with!  

You all have so much heart!



Some weeks you just know you are going to have a good week, and the indications for this week so far are pretty good!

Hope it is the same for all of you out there.

Till next time................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!  JMxx

2 comments: