Wednesday 13 November 2013

Christmas Card Tutorial

Hi everyone, its Angela here and this is my very first tutorial.
We have had such an overwhelming response to the Mini Quilt Christmas cards, so here’s how to do them.
Firstly, choose a piece of your favourite Christmas fabric. I have used a panel.


You then need to cut your backing fabric and wadding the same size as your feature piece. Make sure that the backing is a light colour so you can sign your card!



I have pinned my panel to keep it stable while I stitched around the border.


Quilt or stitch your card along the border or around the picture.


Back of card


Bind your mini quilt using 2 1/2” wide binding strip. 
I have stitched mine by machine but you can also hand sew your binding on.

If sewing by machine then sew the binding to the back of the card first 

and then flip over and top stitch it down on the front.  This is exactly the same method as you would use for a quilt.  If you get stuck then check out the tutorial on the blog here.


And now the finished product. This took less than 10 minutes to complete.


Don’t forget to add you Christmas message to the back of the card before posting.


I have also included some pictures of the beautiful cards that have been given to me by my friends.
A few additional ideas:

Fussy cut a star or shape and applique it onto the front of your card


Embellish you card with ribbon, buttons or glitter glue.




Piece some of your favourite Christmas fabric into a 4 or 9 patch to use up some of those scraps.


Use pinking shears or zig zag rotary blade to cut around your project.


The possibilities are endless. 

Have fun everyone and I would love to see some of your creations. 

Please feel free to email me ang.george1@optusnet.com.au with a photo of your cards.

Till next time..................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment