Wednesday 19 June 2013

Happy Mail 19 June

Welcome to Happy Mail Wednesday - half way through a busy week!  This is what I headed off with yesterday morning - five double lots of batting and ten quilt tops and backs in the plastic bags to go to Stephanie for quilting!  Bless her cotton socks!  If only I had had time to take a picture of the ten quilts I received back.  I don't even have all of them here as four have already been handed off to have the binding sewn.

A quilt and a box of laundry bags made it in the mail as well as fabric and goodies to other quilters to work on specific requests.  I even had to take a print out of our latest special photo - the fellows in front of the flags of all the Nato Nations - and give it to the fellow in Post Office so he could see it.  Much better than bringing it up on my phone every time I go in.


And this is the swag of mail that Fran T lugged to the Post Office on Monday!  Ten laundry bags bound for HMAS Newcastle and two quilts for elsewhere in the MEAO (Middle East Area of Operations).
Way to go Fran!


Janine sent in these BOM blocks - we are going to make some gorgeous quilts with all these blocks you wait!


Lynne Mc sent in two more blocks for our Red, White and Black star quilt.


And more BOM blocks from Lynne Mc


Rhonda M  sent in two sport stars for our Blue sports and food quilt 


and Janine sent in the above Court House Steps blocks from last month.

Sarah T also jumped on the BOM Bandwagon with these lovelies...


and then sent me this great quilt top.


Louise sent a bunch of quilt tops but some of them didn't stay with me long enough to get photographed before being sent off to be quilted.



These blocks were put together by ladies at the Penrith Patchwork Sewing Days and I sent them to Ruth and she turned them into a top.


I also sent Ruth  a bunch of 6 1/2 inch squares in this lovely stripe.   This was donated as a huge roll of fabric by Jim of Jim Baba fabric.  We have used heaps of it for backings and I have been saving the scraps.  Well worth saving don't you think and the design is all Ruth's plus a BOM strip from earlier in the year. 

 

Over the last few days I have been talking to one of the medical teams in the Middle East.  They sent me a request for quilts only to find that half their team was already on my list thanks to the diligence of their predecessors.  Now I have all of them on my list.   Most of their names have been allocated to quilters but there are still three up for grabs for quilts and laundry bags and one lady who would just love a laundry bag.  (HINT HINT??)

They are so appreciative of what we are doing that they shared this photo with us.   I have all their names (and you know I am not telling here) but if you are making a quilt or a laundry bag for someone on this list you will get a copy of this photo via email in the next couple of days (read that to mean when I get time) and I will point out who your individual recipient is.

I have to tell you that I have the HUGEST respect for these guys.  I think they do one of the toughest jobs and one of the most essential and sadly, see some really difficult things, so I am really glad that we are able to show them that we care and that we appreciate them.


Well, that is all the happy mail for this week.  Wonder what next week will bring!

Don't forget the next Aussie Sewing Day is on this Sunday in Penrith.  Details are as follows-

Penrith Patchwork, 97b Henry Street.  Parking at Rear.  10am to 2pm.

BYO lunch and sewing machine.  I will provide the fabrics.

Hope to see you there.


Till next time...............keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment