Tuesday 2 July 2013

Grati-Tuesday

Greetings all from a somewhat dryer Sydney than we have had for a couple of weeks.  It was nice to see the sun today!  

I am starting off this Grati-Tuesday post with something a little different - this time from a hopefully soon to be recipient on HMAS Newcastle who has seen lots of others receive their quilts in the recent mail drop 


"A whole heap of peeps got their quilts a couple of days ago... We probably won't receive more till the end of July..But everyone that got their quilt was extremely impressed..  Great job!  Hoping I get mine next month too."


I don't have any special new photos to share with you today but as there are several people on my list who have requested flag quilts I thought I would inspire you with some of our past Flag quilts.
Enjoy

By Bern J

I thought it was nice of her to drop us a note. And now for some other nice notes from those who have already been on the receiving end....

This was a hand written letter that arrived in the Post Office Box and really made my day.


Jan-Maree

Thank you and to all the wonderful people who help you by contributing to your cause.  I, as well as my fellow members were touched and thankful for the support and love offered to us from home by, for all accounts, a stranger.  Thank you for taking the time and effort for the laundry bags.  They have come in handy and have made a simple task or washing just that little bit easier.  
Best wishes for the future.

Dear Rita (C) and the Bennetts*
I wanted to send a postcard to you both from here in Afghanistan to thank you for the beautiful quilt you put together for me.  My mother has been quilting for a few years now and I am aware of the time consumed by them.  I am very appreciative of your thought as are the rest of the lads over here.
Thank you again for your support

*the Bennetts are Rita's next door neighbors who sponsored his quilt (She also included a piece of their daughter's school uniform in the quilt)


By Beth


For Stephanie



Hey!


We are in a port visit somewhere (unfortunately can't say), and when we pulled in we got mail. I got a parcel and in it was the quilt you made for me. Thank you so much, I love it, and it's always nice to get mail to brighten up our day.
I love the helicopter stitching- it took me a while to see what you meant!!!
I'm going to keep the quilt with me and then after I get home, I'm going to give it to my wife, who is pregnant. I know she'll love it too.
Thanks so much for taking the time to do something for us, It means a lot that someone is thinking of us, especially cause we've never met!
Hope all is well in australia... 



Debra, Paul, Thomas and Edward. 

        Thank you so much for the quilt and laundry bag. I received them while I was in the XXXX
Debra received such a gorgeous newsy email and it is a shame I cannot share more of it with you as it was a lovely read and so much more informative than many of the emails we get but you know I don't share the personal bits, or information about places and families and so on  so you will just have to take my word for it.  I just had to mention it though as it was so much more than what is here.
Thank you very much for the quilt, bag and lollies, 

Sincerely, 


By Caroline

Dear Su,
Thank you very much for the marvellous quilt.  I have just received it
when the Ship arrived in the XXXX.
The flags are fantastic, some of the other crew members are very jealous!
I have three young daugthers myself, so I hope your daughter returns
safely.
Regards


Su's daughter was one of my Points of Contact in Operation Slipper and has just returned from her deployment.

Sue N received this letter


Dear Sue,
I am writing to tell you how touched and appreciative I am to receive your much loved creation Aussie Hero laundry bag.  I can tell that you have a passion in your sewing because it is good strong material with a lovely pattern and white cordage.  Thank you very much as I know this will stand out in the crowd when I go to pick up my clean laundry.  We are very grateful for your kindness and patriotism for us Australian Defence Force Members serving our country for the right of all humanity to live in peace and harmony.   Sadly this is a long journey, however we did our best.
Again, thank you ever so much,
Air Force Member serving in the Middle East.

By Caroline

Hi Sue,

I have been in Afghanistan for about 3 months now.  I have been in the Army for around 10 years and  I'm from a small town called XXXXX in the Southern Highlands of N.S.W., but am currently living in XXXX with work.

Thank you so much for the Laundry bag, I know how much time and effort that goes into them as my mother also makes quilts and laundry bags for Aussie Heroes Quits. She like you has a love for sewing and ever since I can remember  has always had a needle and thread in her hand.
Anyway thank you again, its so nice to know that people other than our family and friends care and think about us when we are away from home.
Regards,


Good Morning Sue,

I am currently deployed in Afghanistan.
I recently received one of your laundry bags so I just wanted to pass on my thanks and appreciation. It is definitely the little things that count over here so I am looking forward to using my new laundry bag each week and it will be so much easier to identify which one is mine.
On behalf of all soldiers deployed, I would like to say thanks for your support. It means the world to us over here.
I hope your family are well and you are keeping warm in winter - it is summer over here and reaches nearly 40 degrees most days.
I am returning home soon and am looking forward to the winter.
Thanks again,
All the best, 



Hi Sue,
Let me first say what a wonderful laundry bag I have been given as a gift, I know that when I'm walking to the wash point with my bag in hand,  I have the best laundry  bag in TK.
Being in the place where I am now little things can give so much pleasure and good feeling.  I would just like to thank you for your efforts have made a old soldier a happy man in one small way.  One more thing is that its not just me that feels happy about my washing bag but all the other guys do too.
Regards and thank you again

G'day Sue,
My name is XXXXX I'm 28 years old and I've been in the Australian army for 11 years. I was one of the lucky Defence members to receive one of your beautiful laundry bags.    
I chose the While E. Coyote bag because my troop back home is 85 Transport troop 
A.K.A (road runners).  We at 85 Transport Troop move anything and everything around Australia using semi trailer road trains and oversize trailers. We spend 6-8 months a year away from our families every year.
So I would like to think you very much for my While E. Coyote laundry bag.
Thanks again Sue N you put a smile on my face the day I saw my laundry bag.
Your always serving soldier 

By Karen B

Dear Joan and Robin
I received the laundry bag you made and I just wanted to say thank you I really appreciate it.it looks wonderful and well be sure to use it till it falls apart.
thanks again

Good Afternoon Joan and Robin, 

I received my laundry bag today and would like to say thank you very much !
It was a very nice surprise and I really love it :D
Thank you again so much for brightening up all our days  over here as receiving such gifts is very exciting for us.
Take care 


And a letter for Joan



Thank you so much for the laundry bag.   I have used it a lot and it makes a simple task of doing laundry that much easier.  Apologies for the delay in writing back to you.   As I am sure you can appreciate it gets quite busy over here.  Most of my spare time is taken up with catching on meals and sleep.  However, as my time draws to a close I am able to sit and write the response I knew had to be sent in recognition of your time and effort.  I thought it would be a better thank you than a quick post on facebook.  :-)  Thank you again.  Your efforts do not go in vain.  Many of us appreciate the thought and gesture made my you and your wonderful friends.

best wishes

Just for info if you are wondering why there are regularly multiple thank you messages for Sue N and Joan that is because of the number of laundry bags they both make and send, each with their own note inside for the recipient.  I have lost count of how many these ladies have made but each of them have well and truly sent off over 100 since starting with AHQ.

Just before I go - 

Julie from Taree would like to know if there are any Aussie Hero Friends in the Taree, Port Macquarie, Forster area who would be interested in meeting for a coffee and chat or even a sewing day.

If so just let me know and I will put you in contact with Julie.


By Marg....all of them!

Till next time...................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!


2 comments:

  1. Another fantastic post! Love it! I am back into making laundry bags again after a couple of weeks off doing another charity project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sue N and Joan - laundry bag heroes.

    ReplyDelete