Thursday 14 March 2013

This and that on Thursday!

Hi all.

I just wanted to share something with you tonight that I thought was a little special.  Yesterday morning I spoke to a lovely fellow who is now back here and who was one of my points of contact whilst he was over there last year, one of the first actually.  He also received a quilt that I made myself.  I met him last year and he greeted me with a big hug, which to me is just about better than anything.  He has told me in the past that he reads the blog most nights, but yesterday he said that reading all the thank you messages brings back memories of how he felt when he received his quilt and I thought that was wonderful. To also put it into context, this is a fellow who knew he was getting a quilt and who knew I was making it especially for him so it wasn't  a surprise.  It still had a very real comforting impact on him when he received it.  it made him feel appreciated every night when he crawled under it at bed time.  What more would you want when you make a quilt?  I can only imagine how it feels when the quilts are received by guys and girls for whom they are completely out of the blue!

Now I am going to apologise if the fonts are all over the place, not to mention the font colours, in tonight's blog post as I have edited and changed several of them several times today AND SAVED them and each time I come back to them - the changes have not been saved!  So, I am just going to push on believing that you are much more interested in what I am saying that the font it is in.  it does however offend my military staff officer training that I cannot make everything ticketty boo!

Big exciting news tonight.
Back in August, actually when I was in Canberra to address the Canberra Quilters and also to speak to several people in Defence, I was approached by the Australian Patchwork and Quilting Magazine saying they would like to do an article on Aussie Heroes.  Of course I said yes.  These things take time but I am really pleased to tell you to rush out and buy the next issue out which hits the stands at the end of this month as we are in it!


Yep, I am doing a happy dance!


If you want to buy it (and you know you do) Volume 22 No 6 is the issue you need to look for and it will be in the stands end of the month.

And as if that isn't enough - here are some lovely thank you messages!

Dear Julie Ann,
                I am writing to inform you I have received your hand made Laundry Bag.
                      I wish to thank you for your support by providing such wonderful gifts. These presents assist in creating an appreciated atmosphere even though so far away from home.   Your Laundry Bag will be used with great satisfaction.
                In closing and on behalf of all the other Aussies here at XXX once again, thank you again in supporting our efforts.
Yours Sincerely,

Good evening Jan-Maree,
I received a package from you with a laundry bag and quilt a couple of days ago.
I would like to thank you for your time and effort it would of taken to make them and for the kind gesture to send them over here to an Aussie soldier in Afghanistan.
It is nice to know that people back home in Australia support the troops and think of them.
Once again thank you for the package and I wish you all the best.

Liz received the following message in a gorgeous card.

Dear Liz,
What wonderful workmanship on the quilt you made for me.  it really did lift my spirits.
Please take care.

Dear Liz
I wanted to send you my thanks for the quilt and the warm words in your card.  I am very pleased to receive a gift so beautifully made.  I have attached a photo of it in its new home on the top bunk.  Thank you again it is wonderful to have something like this as a reminder of exactly who is at home and the kind of people they are.  Regards



AHQ,
I recently received a quilt made especially for me by Carol.  I just wanted to say a big thank you  to her and the other quilters from AHQ who are supporting Aussie troops.  Below is me, pictured with the quilt in the resus bay where I work.



PS, it doesn't show up in the photo but this was made from Nurse fabric - the black border is nurses hats and the centres of each rectangle is nurses and doctors.  :-)  oh and Carol used to be a nurse!

As usual here is the list of those who have sent quilts or laundry bags off this week.  If you are not on this list and think you should be please let me know.

Carol
Hilary
Janelle
Jean D
Joy
Julie Ann
Karen B
Kylie
Louise
Maddy
Sheree
Stepanie D
Sue N


And one last reminder - the next Penrith Sewing Day details are as follows

Sunday, 17 March 

That is this coming SundayPenrith Patchwork
97b Henry Street Penrith
Plenty of parking at the rear.
10am to 2pm.
BYO sewing machine, mug (if you want tea or coffee, lunch and snacks.  I provide all the material required and will try and bake if I have time.  You just need to bring thread, scissors etc.  
We will be making laundry bags galore!

Till next time.....................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

2 comments:

  1. That is exciting - I will reserve a copy of the magazine tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I will be keeping my eye out for that one, and as usual, I love reading the messages.

    ReplyDelete