Thursday 15 November 2012

Friend of the Day 15 November Kylie


This week's Friend of the Day is Kylie but she is introducing something a little different to AHQ before she answers our standard questions.

Hi All

For those of you that don’t know me….I used to teach patchwork and quilting full time for some nine years. I like to ‘keep my hand in’ by doing some teaching locally and online…and in particular Mystery Quilts.

So…have I got a treat for you! Are you excited now?

My next mystery quilt will be running between Christmas and New Year – over Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 December. It is the perfect time as for a lot of people it is ‘downtime’ with holidays from work….it is also over a weekend so those that are still working can join in!

For this mystery, you can either make a quilt that is 68” square OR you can make two quilts that are 34” x 68” – the perfect size for AHQ quilts once you have added a small border or two!
Yes! You will get two AHQ quilts from the instructions, it could not be easier. I have even added special ‘AHQ Comments’ to the instructions especially for you. If twenty of you join in to the mystery – that would be 40 extra quilts for AHQ. It is also a great quilt for using a ‘feature’ fabric – any Aussie print would be awesome! This is what I am using for one of them….


For those of you that have not done a mystery before…this is how it works. You will get a requirements list for you to buy fabric or raid your stash. The ‘mystery’ part is that you don’t know what the quilt will look like until you get to the end. The first clue will be released (email, facebook and the blog) on Friday 28 December at 6pm Australian time. Additional clues will then be released morning, noon and evening over the coming day and a half, with the last clue at lunch time on Sunday.

This quilt is definitely suitable for beginners – it is a very simple but effective pattern and the steps are easily achievable in the timeframes. Those of you more experienced could possibly get 2 quilts (or four AHQ quilts) done in the timeframe.

Everyone taking parts posts photos of their chosen fabric...and their progress as they go along. I will be online to answer questions – and basically everyone has a ton of fun at a ‘virtual quilt retreat’. Crank up the crock pot/slow cooker (or use up Chrissy leftovers), clue up the family that you are ‘off duty’, make sure the coffee flows and spend some quality time with your sewing machine!

If you would like to join in, please email me at kjkenny25@gmail.com and I will add you to the email list. Alternatively you can just download the instructions from facebook or the blog.



Now….onto the questions Jan-Maree has provided…..

Who are you and where do you live – if not in a house in suburbia please share some more info – farm etc.
My name is Kylie and I live in sunny Brisbane…or ‘Brisvegas’ to the locals. Our unit is about 20minutes south of the city centre – I love how central we are as so close to the major freeway in every direction. My beautiful boy – Wilfred, a kind generous and very charismatic 10 year old, is here every second weekend and for holidays.

What is your occupation?
I have just been made redundant from a ‘secure government job for life’ so am currently enjoying a couple of months off and working on building a business in custom made quilts and cushions and other items.

How far to the local shops and how far to the nearest quilt shop.
I am very spoiled with the shops being only 2 blocks away…more shops then you will ever need! The nearest quilt shop is about 15 minutes – in fact there is one about 15 minutes in every direction….sorry everyone that has to drive for ages. There is also Spotlight, Lincraft and East Coast Fabrics within about 20 minutes or so.

How long have you been sewing for AHQ?
I have been sewing for AHQ since about May – I have sent off 4 quilts and laundry bags so far, another one to go soon and have another dozen on the go.





How did you find out about us?
Honestly..not sure! Maybe from a link a friend posted on facebook?

Do you have any connection to the services
Not currently, however my Grandfather served in the war in Borneo and PNG.

What are some of the things you have sewn for AHQ
The first quilt I sent off was a UFO I had for about 15 years unfinished….once I read about AHQ I knew it would be perfect and it would finally have a good home. It was very special to me and Wilfred even got in on the act…he wrote a letter and exchanged emails with the recipient who was kind enough to reply to him.


You can read about it here:


I have sent off another two quilts..this one which is a basic Trip Around the World. A tutorial will be coming soon for this one!
KYLIE.jpg KYLIE.jpg


My third quilt was sent to a lady…who be coincidence I saw on Channel 9 News on Fathers Day sending a message to home – it was awesome and so special!

She got this one…


I am also one half of the BOM team, with Naomi (AKA Tech Guru) which is lots of fun! Coming up with blocks and layouts for you all!

Why do you sew for AHQ?
This is a hard one…I just love to be able to help other people, and in some ways it makes me feel closer to my Grandad who passed away when I was 5. He had some long lasting ‘issues’ upon returning from the war and I am so grateful to those people that put their lives on the line to keep our country the beautiful peaceful place it is. If I can make their time away from families a little easier in anyway – then I have succeeded.

Thanks Kylie!
Info on Kylie's Mystery Quilt will be coming up soon.


Duntroon Community Center - Capital Crafters 

Look what these wonderful ladies, lead by Anne, have made.  You might remember that I visited Canberra in August and one of the things I did was attend a sewing day at the Duntroon Community Centre. As I said that the time, what a lovely bunch of ladies.  Well here they are with their eight completed quilts.  Three are heading off to fellows "local" to them  and the remaining five will be going to some who have made special requests through us.



All the quilts are Aussie themed and all have a flag on them.  They are going to LOVE THEM!! 



You have done yourselves proud ladies!  Well done!


The Weekly Reminder


PLEASE send me an email if you have sent your quilt off in the mail this week and if you haven't sent a photo and would like to see it on the blog please send it ASAP.

The honour role for this week includes 

Aileen 
Angela
Cheryl
Chris
Janine
Julie Ann
Karen B
Maggie
Nancy
PaulineShirley
Terry
Tess
If you have sent off a quilt or laundry bag and are not on the list please let me know.  Any photos or emails received after midday will be included in next week's QOTW.

Till next time......keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment