Saturday 17 March 2012

More quilts :-D

The Singleton Quilters had their sewing day today.  I wish I could have been there but they did extremely well.  You need to go here and check it out! You won't be sorry!

I finally managed to get the binding on this quilt today.  The top was made by Wendy from Victoria - it is number two of three that she sent me.  There were also a bunch of blocks in her parcel and I hope to get them made up soon too.
 This is another of Caz's lovely quilts.  I think she is up to 6 but don't quote me as it is getting hard to keep track of the numbers.
This quilt was sent by Sue B.  It is the result of an Australia Quilt Block Swap and I think it is gorgeous.  The blocks are made by a bunch of different ladies from Australia and America.  Just lovely.
Would you believe that I have eight quilt tops waiting to be layered this Wednesday and one quilt waiting to be quilted.  There are a few quilts that are in blocks too including two nine patch quilts.  I am going to concentrate on quilting the eight before I piece any of those waiting.  I wonder how many more I can pack up before the 15th of April!

I sent the chaplain an email updating him on how many quilts we might be sending and telling him about the stickers on parcels etc.  I gave him an idea how many women are involved and sent him a couple of pictures. Here is some of his response.

WOW! You have been busy. What wonderful ladies from all over the country, I know that the support you have for our troops will be felt by those who receive your kind gift. Thanks for the photos, I love them, especially the one with them all on the fence and the Aussie flag flying.

I also asked him if I could have addresses to send quilts to the Chaplains who would be distributing our parcels.  Those who look after others still need looking after.  The Head Chaplain left if for the individual chaplains to reply.  I have heard from two of them so far.   One of them said he is leaving in three weeks but gave us the address of his successor.  The second Chaplain said

Your gift of a quit sounds absolutely amazing. My wife is a quilter and I know the time and effort required to produce a finished Item. I would love to recieve a quilt and would proudly display it in my office to add a bit of colour to the walls. It will also be a talking point with those who call to see me. I can then tell them the story of your generosity and the incredible power of the people's support back home in Aus. 


Isn't it nice to know our quilts are appreciated.  I have chosen a special quilt that I just received back from my friend who has been sewing the label on.  She had it for a bit longer than expected as her husband has been ill but it is just as well it was delayed or it might have already been sent off and I think it is perfect for the job.  Remember this one?
Till next time...................keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

4 comments:

  1. I love those star blocks! I don't think I've ever seen that pattern . . . have I been living in a cave? All of the quilts are so beautiful and it's wonderful that you are sending to the chaplains also. It's so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that stack and slash quilt "the christmas quilt" as my daughters called it, looks good finished. Thankyou for finishing it and giving it a home. You are amazing. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic news. that chaplain will love Sue's quilt and it will really put Injune on the map (so to speak). It is great to be getting feedback from the soldiers. Now back to sewing Debra - the quilts won't quilt themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very exciting to see my quilt all completed on your blog. but I have to say I love love love the Aussie flag quilts.

    ReplyDelete