Friday 3 February 2012

Updated version of how you can help.

Now that we have been running for a month (where did that time go!) I thought it would be a good idea to post an updated version how you can contribute to Aussie Hero Quilts and Laundry Bags.

When we first started (all of a month ago) one option was to send completed quilt tops to me which I would finish and put in the mail.  I did this because originally I could not promulgate the personal postal address I was using which meant all quilts had to go through me.  i felt it would be too expensive for completed quilts to be posted at that time.

Now I have a central address which I will pass on in time for everyone to send off their parcels and as long as those parcels weight less than 2kg (and our quilts do) you can post for free.  We can post twice a year - for a month just before ANZAC DAY and another month just before CHRISTMAS DAY.  The next posting date is the 15th of March to the 15th April.   Don't worry I will give you the address and lots of reminder before then.

If you have started a quilt top and don't want to turn it into a quilt - just email me and we will work something out.  I am sure you will understand that as Aussie heroes grows, as it is gently doing now, I will not be able to keep up with all the quilting and binding.

Laundry bags can be sent to me or dispatched by you and I will talk more about them in another post.  Email me if you have any queries.

What can you do to help.

I have tried to structure this to be inclusive of everyone, regardless of skill, time of financial situation.   I hope everyone can find something here that they are happy or comfortable with. Here are your options.

  1. make a laundry bag or two (or three……)  Instructions can be found if you click the button on the left hand side of the blog.
  2. make a quilt (or two or three….)  The soldiers quilts are made and sized specifically to fit into a particular sized post box coz then you can post them for free – anything posted to the soldiers in Afghanistan under 2kg is free!   I designed our quilts to be the width of the fabric so about 42” and about 66” or 1.8m long. Basically we just sewed 6 1/2 “ wide strips of fabric together into one long strip – cut that down into 42” lengths and 11 of those made up the quilt tops. Quick and simple – utilitarian but I still think they looked cool and the guys that have received them so far loved them.  Next layer and quilt. Please use cotton batting - Afghanistan varies from being really hot in summer to freezing (or below freezing in winter) so cotton is the most versatile and breathable batting.  Also I think consistency across all the Aussie Hero quilts is important.  Binding is sewn on by machine or hand depending on time available.  I cut my normal binding about 2 1/2 “ but for these quilts, if machining both sides to make it easier to manage I cut 2 ¾”.  Sew on the back first, fold over to the front and use a zig zag stitch if you like or a straight stitch – whatever you are comfortable with.  Feel free to make a more decorative quilt - mine were just simple and basic to get a lot made in a short time. I will pass on the address when we get closer to the next mailing date.
  3. if you don’t have time to sew a quilt or a laundry bag, no problems.  Cut some 6 ½” strips and send them to me to be incorporated into quilt tops here.  Or you can buy or send me 1m of fabric for a laundry bag and send it to me!  I will make it up.
  4. If you want to sew something but don’t have fabric, let me know and I will send you a kit to make a quilt or laundry bag.
  5. If you are time poor but still want to help, you could buy some batting online (we always need batting!) and have it shipped to me for the quilts.  Batting is one thing we are in short supply of and always have to buy.
  6. Join in the block of the month program and sew a couple of blocks.
 If you have any other ideas how you can help, please let me know.  I am definitely open to suggestions.  I try to answer all emails as long as you are able to be contacted.  I try to get back to you on the day you contact me but I am coordinating this on my own with sewing help from my quilt group, so please bear with me if it takes me a day or so.



Now on to some happy mail - These lovely quilt tops were all made by Caroline from NSW.  She has incorporated an Aussie teatowel in the centre of each one and I think they look fabulous!




Thanks so much Caroline - these are really going to brighten up some rooms!


Till next time...keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

1 comment:

  1. A Wonderful post and what a brilliant idea of the t.towels in the quilts from Caroline. Thank you for posting the instructions for the strip quilts too. Doable for me!

    ReplyDelete